PDA

View Full Version : 22s - 99 overpair on flop

12-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Sorry, having trouble with the converter.

NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee
Level:1 Blinds(10/15)
Table Table 68121 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: RoelFlores ( $740 )
Seat 2: pokerking009 ( $845 )
Seat 4: vikinghs ( $885 )
Seat 3: enzoppp ( $775 )
Seat 8: sjc ( $785 )
Seat 10: vodnikKGB ( $770 )
Seat 7: DCandPOPPOP ( $560 )
Seat 6: WrigleysXtra ( $800 )
Seat 5: holmzi ( $925 )
Seat 9: GeorgeWes ( $915 )
Trny:18305949 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to sjc [ 9d 9c ]
WrigleysXtra folds.
DCandPOPPOP folds.
sjc calls [15].
GeorgeWes calls [15].
vodnikKGB folds.
RoelFlores calls [15].
pokerking009 folds.
enzoppp folds.
vikinghs calls [5].
holmzi checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6d, 8s, 5d ]
vikinghs checks.
holmzi checks.
sjc checks.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 07:35 PM
I like it. The pot is small, you have position, and are against a bunch of 22 donkeys. I would bet the turn if checked to.

tigerite
12-15-2005, 07:41 PM
There's one problem though, there won't be many safe cards on the turn against so many limpers /images/graemlins/frown.gif

1C5
12-15-2005, 07:43 PM
I will bet here most of the time instead of checking. A pot sized bet seems good and hope the turn is not an A or K.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's one problem though, there won't be many safe cards on the turn against so many limpers /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you advocate playing this?

pineapple888
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I see exactly zero reason to check this. There are very few safe turn cards.

12-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm surprised no one is more emotional about this. Your hand is extremly vulnreble, to check is to allow infinite odds for overcards to hit the turn (which they will alot of the time).

I put in an almost pot sized bet as well.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think reverse implied odds young grasshopper.

pineapple888
12-15-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think reverse implied odds young grasshopper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall advocating that Hero insta-call an all-in reraise. There are reverse implied odds any time you have a made hand. So what? Bet and then play some poker.

tigerite
12-15-2005, 07:52 PM
For sure. I understand where you're coming from jb, and the flop is really crap for your hand. It just seems like you're giving it up already by checking. Just a really nasty situation, this.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
The posts that I am seeing here so far are showing me that so many people here have faulty thinking. I have now seen three posts that say "I have the best hand, therefor I must bet." Well, not so much. For those of you who disagree, go read the chapter in TOP about reverse implied odds.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are reverse implied odds any time you have a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should reread the section in TOP on the subject, as this statement proves beyond a hint of doubt that you don't understand them.

pineapple888
12-15-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should reread the section in TOP on the subject, as this statement proves beyond a hint of doubt that you don't understand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the 22s at Party, not the WSOP. But thanks for the lecture. Misplaced arrogance always amuses me.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the 22s at Party, not the WSOP. But thanks for the lecture. Misplaced arrogance always amuses me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could go so many places with this, but I am going to be the better man here. It was never my intent to come off as arrogant (as many people here will attest to, I am a highly confident person,) if I did I appologize. That said, you gave someone that I have worked with faulty advice. As a mentor I try to guide people towards the correct way of thinking as often as I am capable. Furthermore, just because this is a 22 doesn't mean that poker fundamentals are to be ignored (in fact, one could argue that fundamentals are much more necesarry due to the relatively weak field.)

Continued success to you,
Beefcake

The Yugoslavian
12-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Whether or not there is a profound understanding of reverse implied odds in this thread (there isn't obv) I do not think they are the only basis for Hero's decision here.

I don't mind checking/probing/potting here. I haven't played many $22s in a while but if I remember correctly, you can certainly bet for value if you'd like and if an opp. to act gets frisky or someone wakes up on the turn after calling, then you know where your opponent stands. However, with such a vulnerable hand keeping the pot small should be key. On level 2 I'd be more inclined to check this but on level 1 I think there are a sufficient amount of chips in play to bet out here without running into 'makes me want to throw up' scenarios on the turn or river.

Also, beefy, Hero doesn't have position...and has no idea if he has the best hand here. You are right about one thing, 99 on this board vs. 4 random $22 players isn't something worth going B-A-N-A-N-A-S for.

Bah...okay....after writing all of this I like checking and letting one of the players left to act bet out. The other reason is that a probe bet may just build an out of control pot since many players may have a bit of this board but not enough to bet out from EP with (or riase you from LP). A pot bet may be better than a probe but I don't like getting ready for a battle over t75 chips this early in a STT in such a mutliway pot.

Generally on the turn you will have more information at your disposal in order to make a maximal decision. So check seems good/fine/whatever.

Even though this is one of the better flops for 99, it is marginal here.

Yugoslav

ZeroPointMachine
12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
So many limping hands have you crushed. So few hands pay you off. Any call combined with any turn card makes you puke. Any raise has you recognizing the error of your ways and folding or worse. 22 players don't like to fold good draws for 75t more. These are not the implied odds I'm looking for when I limp pocket pairs. It feels weak to check it around and watch K2 win the hand, but I'm used to it.

12-16-2005, 01:02 AM
bump for the night crowd?

Insty
12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So many limping hands have you crushed. So few hands pay you off. Any call combined with any turn card makes you puke. Any raise has you recognizing the error of your ways and folding or worse. 22 players don't like to fold good draws for 75t more. These are not the implied odds I'm looking for when I limp pocket pairs. It feels weak to check it around and watch K2 win the hand, but I'm used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou for this explaination.
Is this your thinking also jb?