PDA

View Full Version : My first Turning Stone Experience (3 sample hands)

eh923
07-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Blinds, and 3 big hands killed my tiny bankroll for the evening ($100 in about 2 hours). The cards were very cold, which sucked since the other folks at the table played so poorly. That, and I had to get back on the interstate, so I couldn't recoup my losses!

Hand 1:
EP calling station limps in, along with 1 loose-passive MP, and the button. I complete SB w/ A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif. BB checks. 5 to flop, 1 SB each.

Flop: 3,10,6. One diamond, 2 clubs. It checks around.
Turn: A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . I bet my two pair. Only MP calls.
River: Q. I bet again, and get raised. I cuss, then call. MP turns over AQo.

My thoughts: At first I was a bit mad...especially when the next time I was SB, she raised PF w/ KQo with the same number of callers. Anyway, the flop was free for her, so on the turn, she must have thought AQ was the best hand. It definitely was on the river, so I can't fault her for being in this hand. I still think my river bet was correct since many hands from Ax to Queens up would call and be second best. Any comments?

Hand 2:
UTG, I raise w/ AKo. MP (tight and aggressive, yet still not a solid player!) cold-calls. SB completes. BB folds. 3 to flop, 2 bets each, plus BB.

Flop: A,10,10 rainbow with a /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . Checked to me, I bet, MP calls, SB check-raises. Again, I cuss, then call. MP calls. 3 to turn, 13 SB's.
Turn: 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . SB bets, I call, MP calls.
River: Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . SB bets, I call, MP calls. SB shows A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif for a runner-runner flush. MP shows KQo.

My thoughts: I feel that I was pretty weak this hand. If I really thought SB had 3 10's, what the hell was I doing staying in? I didn't have a draw of any kind, and I would be drawing dead going for 3 of a kind. I feel that I should have either raised or folded on the turn, not called.

Hand 3:
Down to my last 20-some dollars, I raise as first in UTG+1 w/ AQo. MP calling station does his thing, MP(2) calls, SB folds, and BB calls. 4 to flop for 2 bets, plus SB.

Flop: AJx rainbow. BB bets, I raise, MPCS calls, MP(2) folds. BB calls.
Turn: 9. Checked to me. I bet, MPCS calls, BB folds.
River: J. I throw in my last $1. MPCS calls, and flips over his J5o for trips. I rolled my eyes, said good luck, and walked out dejected.

My thoughts: I don't think that I could've played this any differently. That guy was <enter an adjective> enough to hang in to the end and drew out on me. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

As always, any comments are appreciated (although sympathy goes without saying!).

kelvin474
07-19-2003, 11:24 PM
eh, what limit were u playing? the 3-6?

sorry you had a bad time at TS. I agree with you on hand 2. Either they have a ten and you are dead or they don't and are drawing to 3 outs to hit their kicker, 4 to their gutshot or 2 to hoping their pocket pair fills up. On the last hand, what are you gonna do, the guy has 5 outs twice, that's 4:1 against making his hand by the river. plus he faces river redraws if he hits the turn. to hell with him.

lil'
07-19-2003, 11:26 PM
I think that hands 1 and 3 were played perfectly. Nothing you can do. Most of the time, you are stacking the chips by the end. It just didn't work out.

I agree with your reasoning on hand 2. Raise or fold (I lean towards raising, unless this is a super pasive guy). You probably couldn't have won this hand no matter what you did, though.

For what it's worth, you didn't play badly and you were destined to lose all 3 hands. Bring back another $100 bucks someday and take it back.

eh923
07-20-2003, 12:20 AM
This was all 4-8. I was next in line for 3-6 for about 45 minutes, and scouted that table. I felt really confident I was going to blast those guys, then I get called to another table... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

CrackerZack
07-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 you should 3-bet the flop. You can't win this hand but you can play it right. What did MP have? You should 3-bet to push him out.

hand 3 you got lucky you couldn't pay off a raise.

slavic
07-20-2003, 02:12 PM
First $100 is only getting started at 4/8 you know this so no point in dwelling.

1) You played it fine and the MP played it poorly. I can't say it's a bad beat because what should win AQo or A6s?

2) Reraise the flop.

3) Do you really want Jx to fold here? Sure you got burned when he hit his five outer, but you have him dominated 80% of the time on the flop and 90% of the time on the turn.

Don't forget to pick up your +EV card at the exit /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif