PDA

View Full Version : I bet, they fold.

anatta
07-19-2003, 10:02 PM
20-40. Couple of bad players, the rest tight, not too aggressive.

Hand 1: Tight UTG raises, button cold-calls, I call with 9s7s in BB. Flop T87r. I bet, UTG raises, Button calls, I call. Turn is 6, giving me a str8. I bet, UTG thinks, thinks, and both fold.

Hand 2: 7 handed. I raise UTG with red 99's. Player to my left, the same as UTG above, cold calls. Headsup. Flop Tc8c3c. I bet, he raises, I call. Turn is Ad. I immediately bet, he folds.

Hand 3. Larcenous MP raises. Button coldcalls. I call in SB with 66. 3 way. Flop 965r. I bet. MP raises. Button folds. I 3 bet. MP calls. Turn A. I bet, he folds. He says "that was the worst turn card."

Any reason to check-raise in hands 1 and 3. Is preflop call with 66 good, I am usually tighter. Any other comments appreciated, this was my second shot at 20-40 and I wasn't used to guys folding! This all happened in the same hour.

cosmo kramer
07-20-2003, 12:49 AM
I think you played these fine. I might go for checkraise in hand 1 but not 3. In hand 3 I think two things are likely to happen, if he has AK or a big ace, he will raise the turn and you can 3-bet. If he doesn't have an ace, he will probably check behind and you give him a free card. I think the hands were played well.

SoBeDude
07-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Something beautiful happens when my opponents fold to my raises.

The dealer pushes the pot to me.

-Scott

bruce
07-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Hand 1: I like leading with the four to a straight on board. The average opponent expects you to checkraise in this spot so when you lead it looks more suspicious and you
may get two more calls.

Hand 2: Brilliantly played. Your hand is very vulnerable
and he must have put you on at least an Ace of clubs.

Hand3: I like leading and I hope one of my opponents has
an Ace and will pop it. If noone has an Ace and you check
it will probably get checked around. By betting you are
maximizing your chances of winning the biggets possible pot.

Bruce

34TheTruth34
07-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Hand 2: 7 handed. I raise UTG with red 99's. Player to my left, the same as UTG above, cold calls. Headsup. Flop Tc8c3c. I bet, he raises, I call. Turn is Ad. I immediately bet, he folds.

Wow! I guess saying "well played" is a bit of an understatement. I'm so jealous of you. Anytime I try something like that, my opponent raises /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .

Ni freakin' han.

andyfox
07-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Hand 3: For me, it's SOP to check a set when an ace turns, particularly is he's larcenous.

elysium
07-21-2003, 03:30 AM
hi anatta
everything looks ok except for the BB cold-call and perhaps the call with 66. i think you should usually muck the 97s against a tight UTG with a cold-caller on. you played it well though. you don't want to do anything with that mess other than take down the pot as soon as you can. same is true for the 66. you can't take down the pot soon enough. forget about anything else.

and you can see why making the 7 to 1 call with 66 and getting only 2 to 1 odds spells ooze over the long run. but i will assume that no matter what flopped, you would bet out and try to pick up the pot. just never attempt this feat against opposition any stronger than what you were facing. i don't know how bad the LP plays, but he would have to play nearly as awful as the raiser to make this call borderline-ish. and even against the two worst players in the world, mucking pre-flop from the SB is not incorrect.

anatta
07-21-2003, 03:55 AM
You know that's what I was thinking after that hand. I like to bet the ace on the turn when I raise before the flop, why not let him do it. The others have a point that if he has an ace, I might get raised which would be nice, if not, he might check, but I think a free card on a likely two outter is worth risking since he probably then calls on the end.

anatta
07-21-2003, 04:01 AM
Thanks, but its safe to file this one under the "blind squirrel" category! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif