PDA

View Full Version : Advice on UB Multi Tourny hand

PuppetMaster
07-19-2003, 06:59 PM
UB $22.00 NL
I have 2700 chips in top ten with 80 left.
Two opponents both with 2000 chips.

I have JQ

The flop comes J Q X --All Dimonds

I check and the second player bets the pot(180)
The other player calls.

Fourth Street is a Black 8

He bets the pot again.
The other player and I fold. He doesnt show it.

Correct or incorrect?

rhinoceros
07-21-2003, 01:56 AM
I would bet the turn (pot size bet = 720). Check fold seems too weak when he could easily be semibluffing. And I emphatically don't want to give a free card to a flush draw. If he has QT, Q9, JT, J9, with one diamond, a fold is marginally correct. If he can reasonably expect to collect something extra on the river, a call is marginally correct. Either way, it is very tough on him. What was the preflop action? Are these hands likely? What about AQ, KQ, AJ, KJ with a diamond? Might he make a bad call with AQ, no diamonds, thinking I am semibluffing?

My primary concern with this plan is it leaves room for one more bet (almost pot size), leaving me very badly placed for the river. So if I was confident he would fire on the turn, I check raise all-in. But against most opponents, I bet out from fear of losing to a single diamond.

Rickfish
07-21-2003, 08:30 AM
I think that you were probably winning. Maybe bettor had AQ and caller had Ax with Ad. You were losing to trips or a flush but these seem less likely than other possibilities. I don't much like the check and call on the flop. Either you are winning in which case you should raise to make them pay to see the turn or you are losing and should fold. But you could argue that if someone has the made flush or bottom trips then you have quite good implied odds thus justifying the check and call. If that is the view you took then fold on the turn is consistent. If you think you are winning check-raise (about 500) on the flop seems a good idea. By making your move on the flop you can get a reaction and perhaps decide they really have the flush if they confidently go all-in. If you try to do this on the turn you will be all in yourself before you find out.

It would help a lot if you knew whether the bettor was likely to play suited connecters in his position. If he wouldn't call with something like 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif then it is very unlikely he has it. He wouldn't bet the nuts like this so that would only leave a few possible flushes.