PDA

View Full Version : betting on the come vs semi-bluffing

03-22-2002, 11:20 PM
can someone tell me with any authority the difference between betting on the come and semi-bluffing? for example, betting out at the turn hoping to fill yr straight or flush i have heard referred to as both. are betting on the come and semi-bluffing basically the same thing?

03-22-2002, 11:27 PM
It's the same thing.

In The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky, semi-bluffing is defined as "a bet with a hand which, if called, does not figure to be the best hand at the moment but has a reasonable chance of outdrawing those hands that initially called it."

03-23-2002, 12:57 AM
No - "betting on the come" is the more general term, while "semi-bluffing" speciffically means betting on the come with the hope of getting an opponent to fold a better hand, while considering the draw merely as backup in case the bluff doesn't work.

cu

Ignatius

03-23-2002, 01:07 AM
You can semi-bluff with having a flush draw or straight draw. Betting middle pair with an Ace kicker would be an example of semi-bluffing but I don't think it can be called "betting on the come".

03-25-2002, 07:16 PM
I think for it to be a true semi-bluff, there needs to be a possibility of your opponent(s) folding and you winning the hand outright.

In the vast majority of low limit games I have played in, opponents will pay the extra bets to see what you were raising with.

Not that betting on the come in low limit is a bad thing to do, it's a great thing to do! It does offer some deception on later hands when you are raising with the best hand and not on the come.