PDA

View Full Version : The Cowardly Lion

Avarice
07-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Playing 8-16 last night in a normal California game where 6 people see the flop, sometimes for 2 or 3 bets. But not this time. Folded around to me on the button, and I look down to see AJo. I raise, and get called only by the small blind.

Flop comes A62 rainbow. He checks, I bet, and he checkraises. I've seen this guy play aggressively (perhaps maniacally?) before, and immediately plan to raise him on the river in order to extract three big bets, since I think he might fold to a raise on the turn.

Turn is an 8. He fires out his bet, and I call.

River is a 2. He slowly puts out six chips. I hesitate. I know I should pull the trigger, but I can't. Something is wrong -- my spider sense is tingling or something. I meekly call.

He turns over J2.

I spend the rest of the night thinking I would have felt better about myself if I had lost two more bets on the river.

--Avarice

Ed Miller
07-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Eh... if you pick up a tell that says that you might be beaten more often than you would otherwise expect, it's perfectly reasonable to change your action. If your opponent reacted strangely to the 2 pairing, then it's perfectly reasonable to assume that he might indeed have it.

haakee
07-19-2003, 08:40 PM
I would have a hard time not raising but this is a classic Caro tell, right? Sounds like you made a good read and had the discipline to act on it.

Louie Landale
07-20-2003, 10:20 AM
No good having spider sense if you ignore it. Good call.

[A] I think your plan was flawed [1] you assume he'll fold to a turn raise but bet and call the raise on the river. That's asking a lot. Much more likely he has enough to show it down but not enough to bet the river. [2] playing this strong hand tricky heads-up is going to cost you a lot in future heads-up pots where you DO raise on the turn with a much lesser hand: if he knows you'll "slow play" top pair he will be rightfully suspicious when you DO raise. Raise on the turn with this hand lets you steal the next one with a flush draw.

[B] You'd feel better if you lost 2 more BB??? and sulked about it all night??? You are DOOMED with that attitude. I STRONGLY recommend that you explore that deep inside. That attitude is GOING to cost you a whole lot more than profesional help will cost.

- Louie

bruce
07-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Raise the turn! You more than likely have the best hand.
Does he fold? I have no idea since he electively played
a J2 BTF but you maximize your chances of winning in general by playing an aggressive style of poker.

Bruce