PDA

View Full Version : Got owned yesterday heads up

Indiana
12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
To start, I play lots of stars heads up matches and do very well. However, lately I have been getting owned at the end of tournaments, especially when it gets to heads up in sattelites and such. The difference for me is that heads up tournaments start with deep stacks and low blinds so I can easily outwit the opponent and take him down, whereas at the end of the tourney I am facing a very high blind and aggressive opponent. Last night I was getting raised almost every hand before the flop. Blinds were 300/600 and I had only 8K and he had like 20K. Anyway, I was owned and he grinded me down. This situation repeated itself in 4 satts.

Any help with how to deal with this endgame situation?

Indy

12-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Buy SnG Power Tools and learn how to use it.

Freudian
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I find these are the hardest opponents to counter. I see people that minraise 70% of hands on the bubble or ITM be insanely effective because people don't want to take a stand.

So when I play against players like that I just decide to take a stand and call their minraises and be very aggressive on the flop, especially if I catch something. If I happen to have J4s after I notice that tendency in their game, it really doesn't matter. His play tells me he is raising with crap most of the time anyway.

the shadow
12-16-2005, 12:44 AM
The short stack, unfortunately you, is 13 BBs. That's well within the range for an optimal push/call strategy. Thanks to dana33, eastbay and others, it appears that a 70/50 push/call strategy is optimal for a 10:1 ratio, and a 60/30 strategy is optimal for a 20:1 ratio. Try something in between.

With this approach, the villian's not going to keep raising you PF -- he'll probably fold the 1st time or two and then you're either going to double up or bust out.

The Shadow

tewall
12-16-2005, 12:57 AM
I try to play small ball at first if I can get away with it. That is, see if they'll fold to a 3xBB range. If yes, how about 2xBB. Until I get a range. If I can win without risk just by raising more than they do, I'll try that. This lets you grind them away, and you can win without looking at your cards.

If this doesn't work, I would do just what the shadow said; using a 70/30 strategy. If your opponent won't allow you to grind him away, you have no choice but to follow a push strategy. I'd push slightly more than optimal and push slightly less because I expect my opponent to push less than optimal and call less. One of the results of the research eastbay and others was that it doesn't make much difference how far off you are in the push/call range as long as you're relatively close.

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2005, 01:15 AM
indy,

Don't you win like 70%+ HU matches?

Yugoslav

Indiana
12-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Yugo,

In fact, I do win 70% of heads up matches when the tourney is designed as a heads up match. However, at the end of a SNG or Satt I would say its closer to 50% due to the high blind structure.

Indy

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Indy,

So your OP is really just a bad beat post? I mean, you can't do too much better than 50% with even stacks HU in full table STTs or Sattelites....it's all contingent on your opponent making mistakes.

Perhaps the issue is that you still expect to win 70% which is unrealistic unless you come into the HU endgame with a ton of chips every time.

Yugoslav

45suited
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
With the blinds and stack sizes you are speaking of (300-600 blinds, your stack around 8k), once you see that he's constantly raising you, if you have a hand you like, you have to re-raise and play for all your chips. That's the only solution really, you just can't let him chip grind you down.

schwza
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to dana33, eastbay and others, it appears that a 70/50 push/call strategy is optimal for a 10:1 ratio, and a 60/30 strategy is optimal for a 20:1 ratio

[/ QUOTE ]

is there a link to this? i'm really supposed to be calling my top 50% against a 10x push from an appropriately aggro villain?

Indiana
12-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't say its a bad beat post so much...I just wondered if anyone had recently found a way to confront such an opponent. By the way, is Irie no longer playing on stars or has he just blocked himself from the search so that I cannot harrass him with challenges?

Indy

Indiana
12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Generally, I agree with what u guys are saying. I've always taken the approach that if I cannot slow this guy down then I must come over top (even with q9 and such) and gamble. However, before doing this I do attempt to determine if this guy will perhaps let me play some poker instead of pushing.

Indy

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
indy,

I have no clue what Irie is playing these days...if I had to guess I'd imagine a few HU here and there but mainly $109s at PP...although a 109 regular would know if that was actually the case or not.

Although I know that bringing new life into this world takes up the majority of his time anyway so it could be that is the reason.

Also, if he blocked himself, it certainly wouldn't be just b/c you keep harrassing him, it would be b/c Skipperbob keeps harrassing him without end.

Yugoslav

tigerite
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Well I don't know Irie's s/n to say if I've seen him at the $109s or not. Meh.

skipperbob
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I don't know Irie's s/n to say if I've seen him at the $109s or not. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "IrieDork"

Indiana
12-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I just used to see him all the time and now almost never. He used to play just about every Sunday but not anymore. Bringing life into the world? Please don't tell me he's a physician. No wonder he and I fight so much about data analysis (I'm a statistician).

Indy

12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Play an $11 tourney on party, 75% of people play this way. You just push or fold. Or just do what they do and everytime you are first to act raise.

the shadow
12-17-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to dana33, eastbay and others, it appears that a 70/50 push/call strategy is optimal for a 10:1 ratio, and a 60/30 strategy is optimal for a 20:1 ratio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there a link to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is a link. For one good thread, check out dana33's 1st post in the archives. I linked to it in a recent post and in the Heads Up section of my Favorite Threads post.

I agree with you. It seems counter-intuitive to be calling about half the time against a villian playing optimal strategy with the short stack at 10 BBs. That's one reason why the strategy may be not only optimal, but maximal.

The Shadow

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Last night I was getting raised almost every hand before the flop. Blinds were 300/600 and I had only 8K and he had like 20K.

You don't have the time or the chips to try to outplay an aggro opponent here. You need to reraise/push with a huge range of hands. But if you let him steal even 1/3 of your chips you're dead.