PDA

View Full Version : Iran President Elected?

lehighguy
12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Was this wacko actually elected, or was it fixed?

Arnfinn Madsen
12-15-2005, 10:27 AM
From what I have understood he did not make such extreme statements prior to the election. Their election system is not fully democratic, but from what I understood he was (still is?) a popular man in Iran and it is likely that he received the majority of the votes.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
He was also considered the "moderate" in the election.

Everything's relative.

12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
In Iran, any candidate for government must be okay'ed by the ruling religious council. This lets them take out anybody they don't like. After that, the election is relatively free and fair. Of course, after somebody gets elected president, all of their actions are subject to veto by the religious council, so it's not like even the pseudo-democratically elected official is the highest authority.

12-15-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Iran, any candidate for government must be okay'ed by the ruling religious council. This lets them take out anybody they don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what happens in the US, just replace religious council with big business and the ruling class, which owns the corporate media.

If big business does not like someone, they have no chance.

Just look at Howard Dean. You all have a prejudiced oppinion of him because of all the negative corporate media attention. If you actually look at the facts, youd see that he is on your side.

MMMMMM
12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just look at Howard Dean. You all have a prejudiced oppinion of him because of all the negative corporate media attention. If you actually look at the facts, youd see that he is on your side.

[/ QUOTE ]

"YEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRGHHH!!!"

12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If big business does not like someone, they have no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, that totally explains why Steve Forbes has no chance.

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at Howard Dean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big business shut down Howard Dean? Sounds like a pretty wild claim. Evidence?

lehighguy
12-15-2005, 11:57 AM
These people in the middle east are [censored] crazy. They are hopeless.

12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just look at Howard Dean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big business shut down Howard Dean? Sounds like a pretty wild claim. Evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of coverage did he start getting in the corporate media after it was clear that he was the front runner in the primary?

The ruling class couldn't have a candidate who supports higher wages and more affordable healthcare.

Your alls' reaction to my bringing his name up just shows how effective the propaganda is on sheep like you.

andyfox
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
If that is indeed the case, what are we doing in Iraq?

lehighguy
12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
We thought they were reasonable and could be helped.

It's now clear they are all a bunch of psycopaths and we should just let them chop eachothers heads off all day. There is no hope for them.

Arnfinn Madsen
12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These people in the middle east are [censored] crazy. They are hopeless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know quite many Iranians and a few other arabs (insulting some Iranians with putting them together /images/graemlins/laugh.gif) and the dislike/hate for Israel (and often reflecting on the US) is deep and people who seem totally normal and liberal on other issues can lose their temper when these issues are discussed. He puts fuel on this fire and he does it a very deviously way because he knows that in a conflict with Israel even most opposers to the regime would support him. Not clear to me what is goal is, but it may be to increase anti-US sentiment in the region to lower the chance of a US attack on Iran.

zipo
12-15-2005, 06:51 PM
>>Not clear to me what is goal is, but it may be to increase anti-US sentiment in the region to lower the chance of a US attack on Iran. <<

Clearly, he is trying to bolster support in the region by appealing to epidemic levels of anti-american and anti-israeli bigotry and hatred.

This won't stop Iran from being attacked though. However, there's a good chance that it will be Israel that does the attacking.

12-16-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He was also considered the "moderate" in the election.

Everything's relative.

[/ QUOTE ] this is completely wrong. the other guy, i forget his name, something like Rafjani, was the moderate. everyone knew ahmenijad was a nut case. also, i believe the ayyatollah controls canidacy to some degree. outside of that, the elections are reletivley ligit compared to others in the region. however, when faced with reasonble leader, like former president khatami, the unnelected religious leaders step in, and render the president powerless.

Arnfinn Madsen
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, there's a good chance that it will be Israel that does the attacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he legitimizes it even.

BluffTHIS!
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not clear to me what is goal is, but it may be to increase anti-US sentiment in the region to lower the chance of a US attack on Iran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, taunt the biggest and meanest dog in the yard as way to get him and his buds not to bite you. Oh the deep wisdom and cunning of those Iranians!