PDA

View Full Version : What's worse: Long breakeven streak but never -10 buyins or -50 buyins

AA suited
12-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Long (2+ months) breakeven streak, but you were never down more than -10 buyins

or

-50 buyins in 7 days

And why do you think that?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Roman
12-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Option 3) Who cares?

pergesu
12-15-2005, 02:51 AM
At least with option 1 you get rakeback.

SammyKid11
12-15-2005, 02:52 AM
-50 buyins over 7 days is worse, I think...my reason is because that's what I'm going through (-45 BI's over more like 14 days) and it sucks balls.

However, I'm sure 2 mos. of breaking even would suck as well (though at least breaking even you'd get the profit of your RB).

bawcerelli
12-15-2005, 03:11 AM
I'll take the negative fifty buy ins. Over the next seven weeks,I expect to make more than 50 buy ins.

fluorescenthippo
12-15-2005, 03:17 AM
after experiencing being breakeven for over a month, it is definately the first option. you start to question your game, go on lifetilt, and probably drop to a lower buyin.

50 buyins in a week is pretty easy to clear out of your system compared to that

ur2god
12-15-2005, 03:24 AM
i was up 140 buy ins at the 10s for the first 6 days, now for the past 4-5 days im not getting anything WTF?!!!!!! riggggggggggd /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Slim Pickens
12-15-2005, 03:32 AM
STFU until something bad actually happens to you, which I hope it doesn't.

Bonafone
12-15-2005, 04:20 AM
I think it has a little to do with how many tournys you play in a week/month. But i think a 2 month breakeven stretch would be worse.

I just recently had my first and only 50 b.i. downswing that lasted over 405 tournys which was 5 days of playing. This is still [censored] with my head, 2 weeks later, even though i went on a heater at the 215s and made my money back in 2 days.

Although this was pretty rough I couldnt even imagine breaking even for 2 months. thats over 3k games breakeven. I would probably quit poker if this ever happens to me.

gisb0rne
12-15-2005, 06:04 AM
It's easier to recover from a short-term downswing because it's easier to recognize it as negative variance. You don't doubt your play to the same extent as breaking even week after week after week. Sure I'll be flipping out when I lose a ton in 1 week, but after the week is over I'll psych myself up for another go and recover.

raptor517
12-15-2005, 07:18 AM
where is the -50 buyins in 2 days thing. thats worse. holla

AA suited
12-15-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
STFU until something bad actually happens to you, which I hope it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i;ve had both!

so wtf is your problem slim?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mr_J
12-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Easily breakeven over 2 months. 2 months when you 10table is ALOT of sngs, where as losing 50 over a week is nothing that can't be made back the following week.

Going to do a few big days to try and get out of my current rut (bad run + spending = drop down to $11s ouch) and get back to the $33s/$55s. Gotta love 10tabling though, knowing going from 11s to 55s is a few days work /images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess I wouldn't spend so much if I was 4 tabling.

Freudian
12-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I find extended periods where you feel you are making good decisions but the board always help the other players are the worst for me.

I'm currently in a very long streak with 10% 1sts. Part of it undoubtedly is me playing poor but most of it is 70% favourite hands not winning close to 70%, 50% not winning close to 50% when ITM etc. So while I still have a profit it is really bothering when it goes on for a month because you expect it to pass each day. And when it doesn't for day after day it starts to get into your head.

I'd take a five day free fall over a 30 day slow drain every time.

12-15-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find extended periods where you feel you are making good decisions but the board always help the other players are the worst for me.

I'm currently in a very long streak with 10% 1sts. Part of it undoubtedly is me playing poor but most of it is 70% favourite hands not winning close to 70%, 50% not winning close to 50% when ITM etc. So while I still have a profit it is really bothering when it goes on for a month because you expect it to pass each day. And when it doesn't for day after day it starts to get into your head.

I'd take a five day free fall over a 30 day slow drain every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find helps me is I keep a scorecard next to my mouse, "Good Beats" and "Bad Beats". When I win or lose a +/- 70% I put a tickmark in the appropriate column. When I total out my session, I factor in my "luck" ratio. Keeps me from getting cocky on heaters and helps take the sting out of -ROI days.

Slim Pickens
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry. That wasn't meant to be as bad as it sounds. I just had one of those nights last night where I was thinking "This is the worst thing that could ever happen... etc. etc." and then realized there were other ways the situation easily could have turned out that were about 100 times worse. I was trying to share that perspective but it came out sounding like more of a personal attack, so I'm sorry for that.

johnnybeef
12-15-2005, 01:24 PM
http://www.starterupsteve.com/funny11/gfypiggy.jpg