PDA

View Full Version : Phils play poker like the pros.......

Yeknom58
07-19-2003, 05:09 AM
I bought this booking thinking hey I know a whole bunch of people bad mouth phil but I'm an open minded guy...hey I'll give the book a read. man oh man this book sucks. I can't even explain it...I just don't know what to say. It's not that he gives totally bad advice it's just that the book doesn't explain any of the basic poker playing concepts very well. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK PM ME AND YOU CAN HAVE MY COPY.

Rushmore
07-19-2003, 11:52 AM
"It's not that he gives totally bad advice it's just that the book doesn't explain any of the basic poker playing concepts very well."

But, uh, if you're looking to have basic poker playing concepts explained to you, what would qualify you to critique any aspect of the book, much less the advice it gives?

No offense to anyone, but it really does seem as if Hellmuth gets far too much flack here. It seems to me that he has displayed some pretty big emotional/character/personality disorders in public, and that this is why he is piled on so relentlessly.

Is some of his book open to debate? Absolutely. Is there anything of value in the book? Absolutely.

Anyway, I play mostly $20/40 holdem and up. I win my fair share, I'd say. I think it's safe to assume that I know a little something about the game.

Let's everyone try to love one another.

OK. Forget that last part.

clovenhoof
07-19-2003, 02:18 PM
I think Yeknom's point was that the advice Phil gives deviates considerably from accepted wisdom and common sense, yet he gives no explanations for anything -- not in terms of the basics, not anything. Just suggestions that are "out there" with nothing in the text to give it any credibility.

So Rushmore, do you beat the 20/40 games by following Phil's advice, or do you play a little... differently? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

'hoof

Yeknom58
07-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks for helping me out cloven! I've actually never seen Phil on tv or such it's just that I know he's been given a bad rap on this forum so I figured I'd give the book a chance. I know he's won a bunch of WSOP bands so I figured he has to have some good advice. Rush makes it seem like I wanted to spend the 15 bucks just so I could bad mouth the book.

Rushmore
07-20-2003, 02:24 PM
...advocate the use of Phil's limit holdem strategy.

I mean, uh, YES! I emphatically recommend the use of Phil's limit holdem strategy! Please!

OK. Fair enough. The limit holdem advice in the book is atrocious. But I actually thought that some of the PL Omaha text was worthwhile.

P.S. To be honest, I have been running terrible the last 2 months (after 10 years of generally solid winning). When did Phil's book come out? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

slamdunkpro
07-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Finished it yesterday and all I have to say is "HUH"??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

thetman
07-21-2003, 10:37 AM
I consider the book to be an invaluable piece of my collection.