PDA

View Full Version : Tilting on the bubble?

12-15-2005, 01:02 AM
It seems like when I'm in a MTT and close to the money I choke. The closer I get to the money the more nervous, or stupid, or too aggresive it seems and end up blowing it.

Is this a common problem with everybody or just me? And how do you cope with it.

12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I seem to run into this as well. Everything thing I've read says to be more aggressive as you get close to the money, as other players tighten up and just try to hang on until they are in the money. But more times than not, I run into a monster, and get busted out.

SheridanCat
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
If you find yourself consistently going out on or near the button, you really need to look closely at what you're doing. If you are short stacked and playing aggressively as the bubble approaches, you're probably not doing anything wrong. If you're overreaching and playing in a way that is not correct (such as assuming your opponents are bluffing and then calling with mediocre hands), then you're doing something wrong.

The bubble is a great time to start pressing other players, but there's no need to do things that will get you knocked out unnecessarily. Players will tighten up, so you can steal a bit more but there's no reason to believe that a reraise is a resteal.

Regards,

T

AKQJ10
12-15-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to run into this as well. Everything thing I've read says to be more aggressive as you get close to the money, as other players tighten up and just try to hang on until they are in the money. But more times than not, I run into a monster, and get busted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this "problem" too. But keep in mind that by playing aggressively you're exchanging a good shot at a tiny prize for a lesser, but still significant, probability of a much bigger prize. Instead of an 80% chance of winning 1% of the prize pool, you have perhaps a 20% chance of winning 10% or more of the prize pool. (Just making up numbers to illustrate the principle.) That's a +EV gamble, but it is a gamble. It also makes for more frustrating near-misses.