PDA

View Full Version : Passively Playing Prima --- ooh 6 max (LCish)

12-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Somewhere along my poker odyssey I learnt that aggression was the way to win. At times I took it too far (and at times, way, way too far) but this was my mantra for a long time. A10, I raise! KQ in the big blind I raise!

This is not to say this isn't a bad idea. This is not to say this isn't a winning strategy. But it's certainly not the ONLY winning strategy.

Oddly enough, my passivity reared it's attractive head today at the prima 6 max. Somehow, my laggish / maniac style (coupled with excellent, if you'll pardon the hubris, hand reading) has turned into a somewhat rockish style.

I am limping AK (not always, but half the time), limping AJ, checking AK in the BB. Limping 99 first to act. And folding... KJs, K10o on the button. Sure you could say these hands may or may not show a profit. All I can say is that it is a whole other world. The situations you get into are so much more clear cut than raising 98s and hitting middle pair, or deciding when 64s is good on a 1042 board against a preflop raiser.

And you can still bluff : )

DoomSlice
12-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Limping hands like AK is going to get you into a world of trouble when all 6 people end up coming into the pot.

However, like you said, raising things like KTo on the button every time is going to get you into tough situations from time to time. I know it's an old mantra, but playing tight preflop and aggressive postflop is probably the easiest way to make a buck.

12-15-2005, 12:43 AM
You gotta lay it down occasionally when someone throws 100 big bets at you sure, but you also get more calls post flop on the Axx from A6 hands that wouldn't have danced if you had raised.

deaders
12-15-2005, 01:43 AM
So playing more tightly makes your decisions easier? That is hardly groundbreaking, but I am sure you are making less money overall than if you played more aggressively.