PDA

View Full Version : What is the clear advantage?

waj4ever16
12-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey y'all. So I was arguing with my friend about which advantage would be better in texas hold'em. 1. Knowing what the cards are going to be on the flop, turn, and river or 2. Knowing what cards everyone possesses at the table. I argued that knowing what cards would be on the flop, turn and river would be a better advantage.

My reasoning for this argument is:
1. You could be a tight player and only go all in only when you know that you have the nuts. The important thing to learn here would be betting strategy.

If you followed this hand selection process then I don't see how you could lose. If all the hands you played you knew that you were going to hit the nut trips, nut straight, nut flush etc. you would never lose. The only way that you would lose is by mixing it up and going in there with non- nut hands. For example. You have pp 2's and you know that you're going to hit a set on the flop and that the board is not going to have any straight or flush possibilities. The problem is that you only have the third nuts on the flop and by the end of the hand, you will only have the fifth nuts. You can only hope that you have the best hand at the end because your opponent might have a higher set.

This would be a good argument for people that are in favor of knowing what everybody's hole cards are going to be but I can provide a argument for that as well.

Knowing everybody's hole cards doesn't account for how people play. For example. You're in the late stages of a tournament in 6th position with pocket aces. 2nd position raises with pocket queens and you reraise. Since he think he has the best hand he goes all in. Of course you call. This option does not account for sucking out. Although you know his cards you are only around an 80% favorite to win the hand. If he spikes a queen on the flop and you don't get help, your tournament is over.

There are many other arguments for both of these cases but they would make this post longer than it already is. I'm interested in hearing which advantage you guys think would be best and your arguments for them as well.

SmileyEH
12-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Others peoples cards are better. Check out Paul Phillip's blog for a long discussion on this subject.

-SmileyEH

TheBlueMonster
12-15-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Others peoples cards are better. Check out Paul Phillip's blog for a rant about this forum

[/ QUOTE ]
sigh, fyp

pokergrader
12-15-2005, 05:45 AM
I think you might be able to make more money knowing the community cards than your opponents cards.

If you can see all your opponents cards, you obviously never make an incorrect decision during a hand.

However, you still can only go to showdown with the best hand, and you might be able to do that better if your selection PF is only big hands.