PDA

View Full Version : Pot Shot

Diplomat
07-18-2003, 05:58 PM
20-40 game. Not terrible, but certianly worse than it usually is. Four
players that I consider very good, two that are pretty good, two that are
pretty bad but not horrific, one that is absolutleyhorrificsobaditmakesmeilltomystomach (AHSBIMMITMS), and me.

UTG (Pretty good) limps, two more limp, AHSBIMMITMS raises in the CO, small blind folds, I call in the big blind with A8s of spades. All limpers call.

Flop is Qs4x4x. Checked to the limper right before AHSBIMMITMS who bets. This limper is pretty good, but likes to bet a wide range of hands into any pot. Also he probably would checkraise the flop, even from this position, with a Q, and would almost certianly slowplay a 4. I tentitively put him on a small/medium pocket pair. AHSBIMMITMS calls. This pretty much means nothing, as he sees pretty much every hand to the river. What it likely means is that 1. he does not have an ace in his hand and 2. he does not have a pair in his hand. I call, the other limpers fold.

The turn is the Ts. I check, the limper bets again, and AHSBIMMITMS calls again (about 10 chips short of all-in), and I raise. The agressive limper bullet-folds and taps the table once in recognition. AHSBIMMITMS calls.

River is the 3c. I check.

Thoughts/comments?

cosmo kramer
07-19-2003, 02:30 AM
I think you should fold on the flop. With that many players you could be way behind to a queen or even worse a four. Chasing backdoor flush draws with one overcard and a pair on board does not seem like a good situation to be in, wait for a better spot.

elysium
07-19-2003, 02:45 AM
hi diplomat
calling a raise with A8 from the BB is marginal at best. you will need to flop solidly to continue. when the flop misses you, fold and get on to the next hand.

bruce
07-19-2003, 04:48 AM
Check raising the live one who is short chipped on the come
doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If this player is
capable of folding in response to your play than I think it
is a great play, but he is going to call virtually 100% of the time so you are going to need to show down a real hand
at the end, unless you think your Ace high is better than
what he has. If that's the case than you have made a great
play eliminating the straddler.

Bruce

Diplomat
07-19-2003, 09:22 AM
You've got to be kidding me. Folding A8s in the big blind with five players in for one more bet is pretty weak tight. I think you need to do some review.

Diplomat
07-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Hi Cosmo,

normally I would agree with you, but I was 90% sure I had at least 6 clean outs against these two players. I was actually planning to checkraise the turn regardless of what came off, if all the other players between the three of us folded.

Typically I would agree, but I put the two of them on a smallish pocket pair and trash. Any two other players, I would fold.

-Diplomat

cosmo kramer
07-19-2003, 02:17 PM
The problem with that is there are other people still to act after your call. The two limpers could easily have a hand and be going for a checkraise knowing there will be a bet from someone. Maybe if it was just the three of you on the flop, but you are not closing the action and you don't have much of a hand.