PDA

View Full Version : Bad River Push??

12-14-2005, 05:54 PM
im playing 5 handed NL HE on pokerroom.com, .25-.50 blinds
Villain seems like a decent player (doesnt do anything too donkish), pretty solid
I've been raising a ton of pots, reputation as a bit crazy?

Folds to the villain on the button, raises to a dollar.
I smooth call with A8s from SB, BB folds.

Flop comes K-8-3 (rainbow)
Hero checks
Villain bets 1.50
Hero calls

Turn: 8
Hero bets 1.50
Villain calls

River: 2
Hero bets 4.75
Villain raises to 14.75
Hero moves all-in, Villian calls with K8 (eights full)
the raise was like 20 or 30 more i think

my first inclination was to smooth-call the bet, b/c i thought he had to have at least an 8, unless he was on a bluff in which case he wouldn't call a raise anyway.

However, with the Ace kicker, i thought there was too good of a chance he had something like 8-9 or 8-7.
I was concerned about K-K more than anything, but i thought because of my loose image i could move-in and get called by a smaller 8.

What do you guys think?

beavens
12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
meh, i'd probably just call the raise.

bizaff
12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
I think the turn and river lead are fine, but slow down when he raises. Unless you've seen him way overvalue 1 to trips, he's not 3-betting with much you beat.

His preflop raise with K8 is a bit loose as it's such a garbage hand.

Generally speaking, when you lead the river, you're probably ahead. When he raises, things get muddy. When you 3-bet all-in, you're representing a big hand. Since you say he seems like a decent player, the only way he calls your reraise is if you're beat: KK, 33, 22, K8, 83, 82. Generally, I'd eliminate the last two and guess it's 33 or 22.

12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
yeah he's a decent player, but despite that he's just a low-limit internet player. i wouldnt have pushed if i didnt feel he wouldnt call me with a smaller 8. so, for our purposes, lets assume he'll call with any 8 . . . is a push optimal in that case??

bizaff
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah he's a decent player, but despite that he's just a low-limit internet player. i wouldnt have pushed if i didnt feel he wouldnt call me with a smaller 8. so, for our purposes, lets assume he'll call with any 8 . . . is a push optimal in that case??

[/ QUOTE ]

GIVEN he'll call you with any 8, it's simple math:

Card-number of combinations

You win:

Q-4
J-4
T-4
9-4
7-4
6-4
5-4
4-4
---
32 combinations

You lose:

K-3
3-3
2-3
---
9 combinations

You're 32:9 to win the pot.

EDIT: even if you want to add in all the boats that beat you:

KK - 3
33 - 3
22 - 3

You're still 32:18 to win.

I think the most important point by far is figuring out whether or not he'll call with ANY 8.

aces_dad
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Your assumption is not valid. Not all bad kicker 8's call here.

But if it is, you don't need us to tell you there are 10 non-boat 8's (one of which you split with) and 3 boat 8's calling you down, thus if he calls with any 8 it's profitable to push.

Edit: you're also assuming any 8 is raising you on the river. You should assign higher odds to the boat 8's vs poor 8's given the raise on the river.

12-14-2005, 06:31 PM
ok, he prob. wont call me with any 8
but its safe to assume he prob. doesnt have 8-2 through 8-4 or 8-5
so say, he can only have 8-7 through say, 8-Q. if he calls me with those hands, that's still 5*4=20 possibilities, making me 20 to 9 to win. if he only calls with 8-10 through 8-Q, i'm STILL 12-9 to win, although thats a lot closer...