PDA

View Full Version : Late position blind vs. waiting for big blind

lunchmeat
07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
When sitting down at a table should you always wait for the big blind to come around before playing. Sometimes in a low-limit loose, passive hold 'em game I'll post my opening blind in the CO, figuring the cost of the blind can usually be made up for in the hands before the big blind comes around to me. Am I loosing money by doing this?

Instinct
07-18-2003, 07:58 PM
If the game is full or at least 8 handed I will always let the blinds pass me before I play a hand and will post behind the button. You have much better position and get 5 or 6 hands in before you have to post blind again.
By posting in late position you will be able to play the hand much more often as well.

In a short handed game with 7 players or less I usually wait until my big blind and join the game at this point.

Dynasty
07-18-2003, 09:10 PM
It doesn't matter in a full game. In a short game, post your big blind.

Louie Landale
07-19-2003, 03:24 PM
The blinds are $1 and $2 and there are 9 players. That's 33c per hand. If you post $2 in late position (as a new player) you only get 6 hands to play, or 33c per hand. That's a real bargain since you get to put in your blind in late position. If you post $3 in late position (as someone who missed there blinds) that's 50c/hand, which I think is about a push compared to taking you blinds in early position, since you are now taking your blinds in late.

Things deteriorate quickly as the number of players drops.

- Louie