PDA

View Full Version : Am I Weak/Tight?

CMangano
07-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Here are 3 situations that seem to come up once a session for me, and my response to them is the same, though I am not sure if it is the correct response. I would love to get feedback on this. Assume that all other players are typical bad players who see too many flops.

Situation 1:

You have A9s in an unraised pot and 4 people see a flop of Q95 with 2 cards of the same suit (not your suit). You are in LP and the BB leads out, the 2 people in between call, what is the correct play here? What if it is checked to you? Also, does this change if the board is rainbow?

Situation 2:

You have K8 in the BB and get a "free" play. 4 people see a flop of K93 with two cards of the same suit. Do you lead out and bet here? Do you check-raise or check-fold? As above, does your strategy change if the board is rainbow?

Situation 3:

You have 99 in MP and limp pre-flop. 4 people see a flop of J72 with 2 cards of the same suit. It is one bet to you, what do you do? What if it is checked to you? Again, what if the flop comes rainbow, how does this change things?

Here are my answers:

1) fold always
2) check-fold
3) fold always

I think this may be too weak, however. I would love to hear how others would play the given situations. Thanks.

lil'
07-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Situation 1: I would fold. If checked to me, I bet.
Situation 2: At times I have check-raised, depending on who bets. Other times I have check-folded.
Situation 3: I would raise this pre-flop much of the time, avoiding this situation entirely.

j.k.
07-18-2003, 05:09 PM
One of the frequent posters on here has a saying on the bottom of every post essentially saying "always and never are two of the worst words in poker" (I apologize for not giving credit to who it is, I cant remember).
In situation 1, I would usaully fold unless the callers are loose chasers/calling stations. If the odd card on the flop is my suit (backdoor draw), this may also entice a call.
Situation 2- I lead out almost everytime. The weaker the table, the more likely I am to bet the flop. Just be able to give it up in the face of a raise, or scare cards if the betting warrants it. Checking and folding is not much of an option except in a very tight aggressive game.
Situation 3- It depends on where I am in relation to others involve. If I have two people to act after me I will probably fold. If I was last of the 4 to act, I will fold 68ish% and raise 30ish% percent. 2% I may call to see what developes (but thats not a very good plan).
As overused as it is, these hands have a lot to do with game texture and just how "bad" the players are.
j.k.

J.R.
07-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Situation 1:

Fold, the pot is not big enough at 7-1 with flush redraw working against you. If checked to you, bet. A rainbow flop does not push this to a call for me.

Situation 2:

Check-raise an LP bet, especially if its from an aggressive player who will bet draws. I check-fold if there is a bet and a call. A rainbow flop makes it more likely that the LP bettor has a hand, but I would still check-raise if I knew my LP opponent was aggressive.

Situation 3:

I fold to a bet. If at least two people have checked this to me, I bet my 99. The rainbow flop makes it more likely I will be called, but it does not make it more likely I am not in possession of the best hand on the flop. I would also open-raise if it was folded to me with 99 pre-flop.

rigoletto
07-18-2003, 08:20 PM
1) with 1 or 2 limpers before me I would raise preflop it gives you more options.
2) J.R. has it nailed, on a rainbow board I would bet out unless the table is very agressive.
3) Raise preflop 99 is best 2 or 3 ways.