PDA

View Full Version : Do I ram this hand all the way?

Girchuck
07-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Loose fairly aggressive $1-$2 Paradise with some calling stations
In the BB, I hold T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , five limpers to button (a solid player) who raises.
SB folds I call, limpers call, 7 players to the flop of
K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
I bet, EP calling station calls, everyone else folds to the button, who raises, I re-raise, EP calls two, button caps
Turn is a 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
I bet, EP calls, button raises, I re-raise, EP folds, button caps, I call.
the river is 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
I check-call the river and lose to the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif .
Should I have stopped jamming sooner?

lil'
07-18-2003, 03:16 PM
I woulda given up when you did. I would guess a set until he caps again, then I start fearing the worst.

Chicago Kid
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I think, given the pre-flop raise, and his raising back at you twice on the flop, I probably would have quit jamming right there. I certainly wouldn't drop the hand, but I'd have either bet and called on the flop or check-called from that point on.

If he's a somewhat solid player, you've got to figure his coming over the top twice means something more than trips with a 3-straight on board.

Just my .02!

Barry
07-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I would have stopped preflop.

You wouldn't limp UTG with T9o, so why whould you call a raise from a "solid" player with it?

Having called PF, I'd checkraise the flop.

When the solid player caps the flop, the most that I would do is go for a turn checkraise; if (when in this case) he 3 bets, you should consider that he has the nuts. If so you only have 3 outs and folding is not horrible. Your only real hope is that he has something like A/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif, but I don't think that he would jam the turn with that.

incognito
07-18-2003, 03:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You wouldn't limp UTG with T9o, so why whould you call a raise from a "solid" player with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP described the game as "loose, somewhat aggressive with some calling stations". Given this description, a raise after 5 limpers means at least some of them are going to call. Coupled with the fact that he's in the big blind means he's getting anywhere from 8.5:1 to 13.5:1 on his call after the small blind folds. I'd take those odds anyday with T9s. Or just about any suited connector for that matter.

Other than that I largely agree with your post. I think check-raising the flop (assuming the button bets) is good to put maximum pressure on anyone with a flush draw. If three-bet, I would cap and lead out on the turn in the event of a blank. If raised on the turn, I would slow down. In the online games I play (admittedly not at paradise), the button could still have a set at this point, but I'd be a little less sure of myself.

Barry
07-18-2003, 03:57 PM
My eyes are going bad and I'm tired. You see that I wrote T9o, which is what I thought that he had not T9s. Never mind the preflop comment.

I need to get some sleep.

Munga30
07-18-2003, 04:03 PM
I think you played it fine. Much more often, that turn three bet is lining your pockets.

j.k.
07-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Short answer is no. Long answer is nooo. There are many hands that the button caps with after the flop. When he raises turn after you bet again, Im still thinking a set but A10 is certainly plausable. When he caps the turn, A10 is most likely and you check call the river, which you did. You played it fine.
j.k.

DiamondDave
07-18-2003, 04:35 PM
You did just fine, except when you called a preflop raise with small cards in bad position.

lil'
07-18-2003, 04:44 PM
He's gonna get nice odds with his pre-flop call. 13:1 odds is good for 10-9s, assuming it doesn't get limp re-raised.

FishyWhale
07-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Personally I might have just called the turn raise so as not to a) lose the third player b) lose less money if behind (or getting drawn out on with the last card).

pudley4
07-19-2003, 08:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You did just fine, except when you called a preflop raise with small cards in bad position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is absolutely incorrect.

pudley4
07-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Preflop and on the flop he could play this way with KK, QQ, JJ, or KQ. Maybe AK or A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif When you get raised on the turn, AT becomes a lot more likely. It's probably a little better than 50-50 that you should 3-bet the turn. Everything else was good.

SoBeDude
07-20-2003, 10:30 AM
I agree. suited T9 in the BB, for one bet in a large field...

Sounds like the perfect place to play it.

-Scott