PDA

View Full Version : ($5.50) Straight outta here

12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Is this a bad move? I don't think I'm sorry about the (almost) push here, but just wanted to check with you guys...

Pacific Poker No Limit Hold'em Tourney (buyin: $5 + $0.5)
Big Blind is t30 (4 handed)

BB (t3270)
UTG (t2483)
Button (t1110)
Hero (t1137)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
SB posts a blind of t15
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls

Flop (t90): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks

Turn (t90): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks

River (t90): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1107</font>, BB folds, Button calls [all-in]

Final pot: t2277

Hero shows 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
Button shows A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Button collected t2250
Hero collected t27

kevkev60614
12-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Fold preflop. C/f the river. YOU'RE RISKING YOUR WHOLE BUY-IN FOR 90 CHIPS!

tigerite
12-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Correct. Absolutely terrible.

grayhawk
12-14-2005, 01:36 PM
What did you hope to gain by going all-in with 1100 chips for a 90 chip pot? Nobody has shown any strength, yet there is now a possible flush out there as well as the higher straight. I think a pot sized bet is a much better play in this spot - someone with a jack might just come along, even with the 4 straight out there. If you are raised, you can probably call another hundred, but let it go with a really big raise (thinking that someone hit their flush draw).

12-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Very fundamental that you need to understand what you are trying to accomplish with your bet. Who will fold to an all-in, and who will call. What is the result in both circumstances? 1) Everyone folds and you win 90 chips. 2) You get called by a higher straight or flush and lose 1100 chips. Calculate the probability of each of the situations and there you have your expected value. It will be negative by a longshot.

12-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Ok, first of all: thanks for the responses.

The more I think about this hand, the less I like it. The preflop call still seems kinda okay to me (everybody limped in the whole time), but the river-play sucks big time.

Honestly, I missed the flush on the river, because I was so darn happy the J came. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid mistake.
After that, the only hand that could beat me was AQ. I wanted to portray a bluff, so maybe someone would call me to see if I was bluffing.

But after some thinking, I really screwed this one up...

xJMPx
12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop call still seems kinda okay to me (everybody limped in the whole time)

[/ QUOTE ]

SB play is tricky. You will often have the right odds to play almost any two cards, so completing seems alright a lot of the time. However, think about how the rest of the hand is going to play.

If you hit your 5 on the flop, well your not going to like it much. If you hit your Q, you still not going to like your 5 kicker very much and would have to play very timid if you got any resistance.

So, your are going to have to hit a big hand everytime you play Q5 (two pair or better) to have any confidence in your chances of winning the hand.

I personally don't complete many hands that contain A/K/Qs because of their likelyhood of being dominated.