PDA

View Full Version : Why the old WSOP are still better than the WPT?

Inthacup
07-18-2003, 01:47 PM
As many of you know, I've recorded the WPT shows and put them on DVD. I'm in the process of transferring some old WSOP tapes to DVD for my collection as well. I've been waiting some time to get my hands on the tapes and enjoy watching them as much if not more than the WPT shows. This is funny to me because the WSOP is far inferior in production and commentating than the old WSOP. Also, it is much shorter(30 min-1 hour) which is cool cause I can fit more shows per DVD than the WPT. But, I would rather watch an old World Series even though they are poorer quality, have less knowledgable commentary and less hands are shown. Am I alone in this? This post is one big ramble, but I think there's some underlying points to be made about tradition and nostalgia floating around in there somewhere.

Bill Murphy
07-19-2003, 03:38 AM
Ya need to lay off the Jack. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The only way the WPT and 2003 WSOP shows could be better would be with Kotter doing all the announcing along with Albrecht, maybe; and a few more Shanna types.

I'll admit, tho, the ol' tapes DO have a vintage feel to 'em. Prolly enhanced even more by all the new stuff. I assume you're DVDing the WSOP now, as they're showing it. Lemme know when ya got everything ready tae go.

Feel free to CDize the Led Zep DVD while you're about it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

M2d
07-19-2003, 03:58 PM
probably because the old WSOP's meant something (as much as a poker tournament can mean, at least). The WPT just seems manufactured, to me. Kind of a silly attitude for me to take, since it's all just extraneous fluff anyway (in the grand scheme of life). For what it's worth, I agree with you. The feel just isn't the same.

Plus, instead of thinking back about road games with Doyle, Sailor and Slim (and the other legends of the game), we get to reflect on internet qualifiers and Phil. No contest there, either.

slamdunkpro
07-19-2003, 04:43 PM
I thought is was interesting that none of the WPT "greats" made it into the big money at the 2003 WSOP. I had a conversation with one of the true poker greats my last trip to Vegas and asked about the WPT. He said that the style of play was "TV Agressive" otherwise known as "Russian Roulette"