PDA

View Full Version : Book and software recommendations?

mowz
12-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Sooo,

I am a business major, MIS and Operations Management, not Finance. I am interested in handling my own money and getting more involved in the stock market, but I don't plan on jumping right in. I already picked up a few books, but do those of you that do this for a living have any recommendations as to what to read?

I also plan on doing my trading online. During the first six months I plan on making less than 20 trades a month but I plan on increasing that number depending on my knowledge and comfortability. Is there a place that breaks down the sites, or do any of you have a recommendation?

This forum needs a faq for this kind of stuff.

Sniper
12-14-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any recommendations as to what to read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggested Reading List (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2953989&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a place that breaks down the sites, or do any of you have a recommendation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any of the mainstream online brokers are fine... pick one that has the research tools that you like, and an interface thats comfortable to you.

When/If you start trading higher volume, you might look into one of the Direct Access Brokers (like Tradestation, Cybertrader, Interactivebrokers, etc)

[ QUOTE ]
This forum needs a faq for this kind of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working on one... and am open to any suggestions on content.

mowz
12-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks Sniper for the quick response. This is exactly what I was looking for.

buffett
12-14-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am open to any suggestions on content

[/ QUOTE ]
Make 2 reading lists: one for people who want to trade/speculate, one for people who want to invest.

SuitedPair
12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
This is a short (56 pages) booklet that Tweedy, Browne offers on its web site. If you are not aware of them they are value investors with about $13B under management.
What Has Worked In Investing (http://www.tweedybrowne.com/library_docs/papers/what_has_worked_all.pdf)