PDA

View Full Version : Technique for running on ice

bennyk
12-14-2005, 01:47 AM
What is the optimal technique for walking fast/running on ice? I tend to stiffen my legs a fair amount.

I think this is because with stiffer legs, you can't rapidly apply force in a different direction, so you can't break free as easily. This method also "feels" much more stable, I guess because your brain/inner ear is more balanced.

Anyone from, like, Montana care to settle this?

Emmitt2222
12-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do it doesnt hurt as much.

bennyk
12-14-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do it doesnt hurt as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This didn't occur to me, though I do have a lot of experience with it.

theweatherman
12-14-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm from upstate NY and try to avoid walking on ice whenever possible. However when i do i like to go with a sort of skating/walking method.

I dont ice fish or anything so I rarely go out on large bodies of ice without skates. When I do its for challanges of who can walk down the stream the longest without falling through the ice. This is most fun in March/April when the loser only makes it about 50 meters or so.

man
12-14-2005, 01:59 AM
I've gone to school in syracuse, NY for three years, and go running in the cold. not so much on frozen lakes if that's what you mean, just frozen sidewalks. I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible. also remember that surface area does not change the coefficient of friction, just try to get a good angle and maintain balance.

theweatherman
12-14-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Intoxicated. You don't care if you fall and when you do you dont realize you broke your wrist until the morning .

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
12-14-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've gone to school in syracuse, NY for three years, and go running in the cold. not so much on frozen lakes if that's what you mean, just frozen sidewalks. I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible. also remember that surface area does not change the coefficient of friction, just try to get a good angle and maintain balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done.

bennyk
12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend keepin your torso over your feet as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an important point that I didn't recognize, though I suspect I'm doing it innately, to a certain extent.

man
12-14-2005, 02:13 AM
also, if you're walking/running downhill, try to lean forward slightly. this way your feet are less likely to swing out from under you.

the idea of thinking this deeply about walking on ice is funny to me somehow.

PoBoy321
12-14-2005, 02:13 AM
In Georgetown, where I go to school, people NEVER shovel their sidewalks, so they're always covered in ice. Basically, i got with a kind of slip-n-slide method, where I don't really walk so much as slide across the ice.

JaBlue
12-14-2005, 02:22 AM
sprint, jump, slide

astroglide
12-14-2005, 03:26 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1066631498606_2003/10/22/240robert_atkins.jpg

jaxUp
12-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Move to Canada. You will learn out of necessity, or you will perish.

yellowjack
12-14-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i got with a kind of slip-n-slide method, where I don't really walk so much as slide across the ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this approach. Less chance of falling as well.

beenben
12-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Minnesotan here. yep. slide. keep your feet on the ice. You can practice on a hardwood or pergo floor with just socks on your feet. practice your "snowplow" a/k/a hockey stop. basically you turn your hips perpendicular to the direction you were going.

BCPVP
12-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Wisconsinite here. I'm not a fan of the slide. I use more of a stomp/march technique. You put the foot down and then put weight on it so that the force is down and not to any one direction. Seems to work for me.

tonypaladino
12-14-2005, 04:55 AM
"Loc: Neptune Diner"

Are you in Astoria?

bennyk
12-14-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Loc: Neptune Diner"

Are you in Astoria?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I live next to the diner.

bk

tonypaladino
12-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Awesome. Can't wait for warmer weather. Then it's the beer garden -> Neptune

w_alloy
12-14-2005, 06:52 AM
If from Alaska and have spent a lot of time doing this.

The absolute fastest way (optimal for very slippery but not quite ice-rink) is to run, lifting you feet up high, and making sure to balance as each foot hits. You want to quickly push off at around 5% off verticle (depending on slipperyness), almost jumping. As you go faster, make sure to lift your foot off the ground as fast as possible so it doesnt slide. As with all running, make sure to stay on the balls of your feet. When you are going fast it will look like a series of miny leaps with your knee comming up in front of you each time.

This is however pretty dangerous and I wouldnt reccomend it to anyone who doesnt want to look like an ass, has poor balance, or cant risk falling.

bennyk
12-14-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome. Can't wait for warmer weather. Then it's the beer garden -> Neptune

[/ QUOTE ]

We must do a 2+2 beergarden gathering.

<font color="white">(If it's possible to convince people to ride their vespa's outside Manhattan) </font>

bk

PoBoy321
12-14-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome. Can't wait for warmer weather. Then it's the beer garden -&gt; Neptune

[/ QUOTE ]

We must do a 2+2 beergarden gathering.

<font color="white">(If it's possible to convince people to ride their vespa's outside Manhattan) </font>

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be in.

billymonk
12-14-2005, 07:56 AM
I use hockey skates.