PDA

View Full Version : ($22) Simple question. Please help

1C5
12-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Seems I forgot how to play poker since my recent downswing. I am sure this is a simple question. What do you do on the river? Check or bet and if bet, how much?
Villian is typical $22er donk.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1940)
MP1 (t915)
MP2 (t815)
CO (t740)
Button (t655)
SB (t810)
BB (t1350)
UTG (t775)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t125) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, BB calls t75.

Turn: (t375) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t275</font>, BB calls t225.

River: (t925) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ?

Maulik
12-14-2005, 01:01 AM
700?

ilya
12-14-2005, 01:01 AM
I think there's a good chance that a busted draw bluffs this river and a better hand bets to represent the busted draw. He has to call you on the end with any sort of made hand, so I would put him all-in. If you're wrong, your stack will not have lost maneuvaribility...I would be much more inclined to check behind on the river if you had only something like 800 behind by then.

curtains
12-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Raise preflop with your monster stack, raise more on the flop and bet about 400-500 on the river. I practically never open limp in the 25-50 round and would especially never do so with a giant stack with AQo

wiggs73
12-14-2005, 01:33 AM
I'd go ahead and raise to t125 pre-flop.

I'd raise to t200 on the flop.

I'd bet about t400 on the river.

(Note that each of these statements are considering that you did what you did, not what I suggested in the preceding statement).

Irieguy
12-14-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop with your monster stack, raise more on the flop and bet about 400-500 on the river. I practically never open limp in the 25-50 round and would especially never do so with a giant stack with AQo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really don't understand open-limping AQ and 38 big blinds preflop. That's the opposite of poker.

Then TPTK on the flop with a weak lead into you and a flush draw on board... why raise less than the pot?

You played the hand like you were waiting to get beat and were already thinking about what kind of shape you would be in with your remaining chips.

Irieguy

ilya
12-14-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a good chance that a busted draw bluffs this river and a better hand bets to represent the busted draw. He has to call you on the end with any sort of made hand, so I would put him all-in. If you're wrong, your stack will not have lost maneuvaribility...I would be much more inclined to check behind on the river if you had only something like 800 behind by then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err oops I thought Villain had 400 behind on river....I would bet something in that range, not push.

12-14-2005, 01:46 AM
wtf?
i fold this one preflop

12-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Yeah. More aggression PF and on the flop.
A good sized bet on the river.

wiggs73
12-14-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i fold this one preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
no. that's awful.

12-14-2005, 01:57 AM
because?
the blinds are low, the position sucks and AQo is not really a monster.

wiggs73
12-14-2005, 02:02 AM
because you have 38 big blinds and AQ. why do you need a monster to come in the pot? play poker.

edit:

ok, i suppose that folding isn't awful. if your only 3 moves in sng's are folding, pushing, and playing pairs for set value, then fold. i guess that's how a lot of people play.

but a better way to play sng's is to incorporate other aspects of poker into your game. one such aspect is playing pots with AQ when you have the table covered. and i like playing with a raise here about 10x more than i like limping. there are very few situations where i limp at 25/50 and on. this certainly isn't one of them.

12-14-2005, 02:23 AM
ok good point
i do 10tabling and dont care about every little +ev situation /images/graemlins/smile.gif
pushbotting 4ever /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12-14-2005, 02:38 AM
I think folding IS truly awful

11t
12-14-2005, 02:44 AM
I'd bet 300 on the river.

SammyKid11
12-14-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok good point
i do 10tabling and dont care about every little +ev situation /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait 'til your first wicked downswing where nobody calls your pushes with AA-QQ but EVERYONE calls your junk pushes...you'll start realizing that you need to take advantage of every +EV situation. If you can't play +EV poker while 10-tabling, the answer is to quit 10-tabling, not quit playing +EV poker.

12-14-2005, 03:34 AM
i can play +ev poker while 10tabling but not at the maximum
and im not interested in perfect poker, im interested in perfect $/h

12-14-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok good point

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait 'til your first wicked downswing where nobody calls your pushes with AA-QQ but EVERYONE calls your junk pushes...you'll start realizing that you need to take advantage of every +EV situation. If you can't play +EV poker while 10-tabling, the answer is to quit 10-tabling, not quit playing +EV poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second this......big time!!!.....took my first huge 30xbuyin at the 55s and im definitely paying more attention and as for sngs go im doing much better....i still suck at the 400 nl cash games....

SammyKid11
12-14-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i can play +ev poker while 10tabling but not at the maximum
and im not interested in perfect poker, im interested in perfect $/h

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is that if you ignore such clear +EV situations in order to play 10 tables, you are eventually going to want to kill yourself during one of the mind-numbing downswings such play will induce.

If you're really interested in maximizing your long-term $/hr, you might consider stepping back from ten tables and playing, say, 6...all the while concentrating on your game and learning to spot and play +EV situations like this just as easily as you play AA right now. Then, as that becomes more effortless, step back up to 10 tables, you'll have increased your hourly rate and your first huge downswing won't be quite as vomit-inducing since you'll at least be capitalizing on all opportunities to get ITM even when you CAN'T win a coinflip to save your life.

12-14-2005, 04:26 AM
its not that im not able to do that move cause i got not enough time.
i just not see that this is a good move, in late position i would raise but not in early pos.
what would u do with AJ in this situation? limp?

SammyKid11
12-14-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its not that im not able to do that move cause i got not enough time.
i just not see that this is a good move, in late position i would raise but not in early pos.
what would u do with AJ in this situation? limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well look, if you don't see raising AQ from EP as a good move, then that's a TOTALLY different debate. I was responding to what you yourself said earlier in the thread:

[ QUOTE ]
ok good point
i do 10tabling and dont care about every little +ev situation

[/ QUOTE ]

The above seems to very clearly grant that you believe raising AQ from EP is a slightly +EV situation that you forego because you're 10-tabling. Now you seem to be changing your story to say that you actually DON'T see AQ to be a +EV raise from EP early game. Since you've changed your position, the conversation changes drastically.

FWIW, I fold AJo from EP early in a SnG. AJs I limp. AQ, as I've said, I raise. There's value in the raise, plus it thins the field of low pocket pairs and other random cards that beat you, plus it disguises your bigger hands from the thinking players (ie - if you only EVER raise AK, QQ-AA from EP, the thinking players are going to be onto you and you're going to lose even more +EV situations down the line). Admittedly, this last point is minor.

tigerite
12-14-2005, 11:52 AM
I'd definitely raise AJo here as well, fwiw.

david050173
12-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Given how the hand played out, anyone like checking the river? I think you are ahead most of the time (busted flush/straight draw, weaker queen) but I am not sure it is worth risking the rest of my stack to find out. If I had raised preflop, I would be a lot happier getting all the chips in but I may have just beening having a lot of bad 2 pair luck lately.

mosdef
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd definitely raise AJo here as well, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. But what do we know?