PDA

View Full Version : lexus is250 vs hoopty

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 12:37 AM
ok so i'm a 19 year old student and i've made some money playing poker in the past year. i want to buy an is250 fully loaded which would be about 40k-44k. when i told my dad that i want a lexus he flipped the [censored] out. he goes on about how bad of an investment it is compared to me buying a 20k car. he assumes it will be a 30k lexus and says that if i take the 10k i would be 'saving' and put that in a savings account i would have 300k 30 years down the road.

i will obviously lose a little bit more money with the lexus, but how approximately how much more would i lose considering the following:

-higher insurance
-resale value (not sure if the fully loaded hurts/helps)
-other factors i'm not aware of that will effect this

Claunchy
12-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Cars are a massive waste of money. Of course it would be a lot smarter to buy a cheaper car that will work just as well and save or invest the rest of the money.

That said, the IS 250 is a badass car, so get it.

nothumb
12-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Your dad is right. You can get a sweet car for less than 40k that will still pull some tail, and invest the rest.

NT

12-14-2005, 12:49 AM
I was gonna say something, and then I went and looked at the IS 250.

Buy it. [censored] your dad.

Voltron87
12-14-2005, 12:49 AM
for a 19 yr old to buy a full lexus with poker money, it is very, very expensive and pretty dumb for the vast majority of people. instead of ivesting the money you will put it in an asset which will depreciate and cost a lot of $$$ to maintain, through insurance and repairs (even if you get a better made car like a lexus compared to some of the more unreliable ones, its still a lot of dough)

Tron
12-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Uh, $15,000 != Hoopty

tolbiny
12-14-2005, 12:57 AM
If your 19 and making that kind of cash your gonna be a douchbag. Your gonna be snotty to your friends, gonna brag to chicks excessively and generally gonna be a douche.
The least you can do is to be a douche with a lexus.

chisness
12-14-2005, 12:58 AM
one factor to consider is that once you enter the workforce, this might work against you (someone actually in the workforce could verify this). it would look pretty showy so if you're going for a raise it seems like it would hurt.

nothumb
12-14-2005, 12:59 AM
The workforce point is excellent. I think you should buy a classic car and touch it up, or get a bike.

NT

Claunchy
12-14-2005, 01:00 AM
chisness - The kid here's an online poker pro! He doesn't care about getting a raise at some square 9 to 5 gig. This car will elevate him to pure baller status.

WACO - You know what you need to do.

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 01:05 AM
anyone have any idea how much i lose with the is250 vs the 20k car? i would still have enough money to invest and play poker at the limits i want to play comfortably. so i guess what i'm saying is to ignore the fact that i could use the 20k that i'm not spending to invest, because i will still be able to invest. does that help the situation?

12-14-2005, 01:09 AM
your first priority needs to be getting out of waco.

if you're gonna be making a $40k purchase, perhaps you need to do some research on your own, rather than relying on OOTiots to do it for you. just a thought.

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 01:14 AM
ya waco does suck pretty bad but i've got a full scholarship for golf and i'm ridin' that out for another semester.

you're right about the research. however, i do not know how to research this. where do i start?

btw, paul wall sux, chamille runs htown

chisness
12-14-2005, 01:16 AM
the opinion he's asking for is fine, but there are certainly a lot more cars out there he could be looking for.

12-14-2005, 01:19 AM
I dunno man, you could buy a lot cooler cars with 40k.

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 01:31 AM
like ...

ilya
12-14-2005, 01:32 AM
I dunno, the only good reason I can think of to spend that much on a car that, while stylish enough, doesn't even look especially distinctive or memorable is that it might help you get "laid." If that's your goal I think you should just buy a classic ride for like 8K, and spend the balance on cooking classes. I guess you might want to take a massage class too, just to hedge your bets.

Just in general I think

investing in skills >>> investing in perishable assets.

mmcd
12-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Just buy one that's a year old.

12-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, I personally would rather have:

G35
Evo 8
E-Class from a couple years ago
M3 from a couple years ago

Hell I dunno, but buying a new car is always stupid. Depends what you like.

12-14-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he goes on about how bad of an investment it is compared to me buying a 20k car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you consider a 20k car a hoopty? A broke ass car like a Celebrity or a piece of [censored] Cutlass is a hoopty. HOOPTY's DONT COST 20 F'ING GRAND!!!!

Ed Miller
12-14-2005, 05:20 AM
I'm bound by my 2+2 oath to give the best advice I can. Believe me, I wanna mess with you and tell you to buy the car. But I'm a square.

Buying a 40k car would be really really dumb. Especially if you live in Waco... Lexus's aren't even cool in Texas. Buy a 2000 Ford pickup and put Bigfoot wheels on it or something. I dunno.. at your age, I think your car budget should be 6-10k max. I paid 16k for my first car, and I regret spending that much (though I do like my car).

You should be saving every last cent you can right now. Just because you're saving some doesn't mean you shouldn't save more. In fact, you should save more. You're probably already spending too much money.

Life is going to be a LOT easier once you hit 30 if you've put than money away rather than blown it on overpriced Japanese junk. You may feel like you're rolling in it now, but you're 19, single, and going to college on a full scholorship. You have zero real expenses.

Once you enter the real world, money's gonna fly out the window like crazy. Price a house and a kid. At least a million. Oops, that condom broke. Another 700k. That money you put away this year will seem like pennies in a few years.

Save your money. You'll need it. (And pay your taxes too while you're at it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

chisness
12-14-2005, 05:29 AM
good, but difficult advice. is there a good way to calculate what X amount being spent right now would be worth in Y years? do we just estimate an 8% return on our investments for those years? how about inflation?

i think op should pick one thing he wants, probably this car and spend about 20k on it and save ALL the rest of the money. i think 20k saved now will be worth over 500k in today's dollars upon retirement!

jaydub
12-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Kid,

The is250 does not cost 40K, not even close.

And you should buy the most expensive car you want, it's your money, piss it away however you like.

J

jaydub
12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
chisness,

5 minutes with google can answer your question.

J

FouTight
12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I would put that money in the highest interest account you can find for a couple of years and put that money on a HOUSE...

IMAGINE throwing parties, keggers and [censored], and how chicks will be all over you because, you know, you have your own HOUSE.

screw the car, just get a Dodge or Ford dump untill you finish your schooling.

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
jaydub,

the is250 i was looking at yesterday was 42k. it was the closest thing i have seen to a bond car.

david050173
12-14-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I personally would rather have:

G35
Evo 8
E-Class from a couple years ago
M3 from a couple years ago

Hell I dunno, but buying a new car is always stupid. Depends what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying any car on your list is pretty stupid from a finacial point of view. Doesn't mean it isn't the right play in order to maximize your happiness.

As far as cost of owning, go to edmunds and look at the TCO for the various cars you want. Those numbers are not exact but they give you rough ballpark numbers to work with.

And if you are paying 44k make sure you get the 350 and not the 250 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

david050173
12-14-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just buy one that's a year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty hard to do when the car is only 2 months old. And after 1 year, you are not going to save more than 5-6k (and I think that is being really optimistic). Doesn't really change the equation a whole lot.

12-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I think you should get the car and drive like an [censored]. It will really boost your ego.

jaydub
12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
kid,

I'm not doubting what the dealer told you, but the list on a 250 is 30K-ish. Paying 40K+ for a car that lists at 30K-ish is a really bad deal unless you get the gold plated option.

J

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
TWC,

You will never have the opportunity again to be 19yo, in school w/ lots of hot college chicks, and have a car like this that everyone will think is the hottest thing around. Sure, you can be one more college dude w/ a 20k car, then in 5 years be one more working guy w/ a 40k car, then 5 years later be married w/ a minivan.

Or you can be the badass dude w/ the 40k car right now. You'll never have a chance to be this 19yo guy again. So go buy the car. Or stretch a little and buy something a little nicer.

Or listen to Mr. Conservative Married Guy Ed Miller.

Ed Miller
12-14-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will never have the opportunity again to be 19yo, in school w/ lots of hot college chicks, and have a car like this that everyone will think is the hottest thing around. Sure, you can be one more college dude w/ a 20k car, then in 5 years be one more working guy w/ a 40k car, then 5 years later be married w/ a minivan.

Or listen to Mr. Conservative Married Guy Ed Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he lives in Waco. A Lexus ain't gonna make him cool. College chicks are gonna look at him like, "A car? Is he gay? Why doesn't he drive pickup?"

For like $500 he can pick up a fully pimped out Nitro Monster Truck (http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_cars/traxxas_nitro_sportmaxx.htm). It's a Nitro, man... Texan women can't resist the Nitro.

eviljeff
12-14-2005, 06:00 PM
just noticed that Ed and El Diablo have the name registration date. conspiracy? coincidence? very simple explanation? yes, one of those.

MonkeeMan
12-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Waco!!! That changes everything. He's looking for one of these:

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/Stripes/Stripes_664a.jpg

and that's a fact, Jack.

12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
You should be looking at a used BMW M3.

"The IS 250 is briskly propelled by a 2.5-liter 204-hp V6 with 185 lb-ft of torque."

"[The BMW M3's] 3.2-liter, six-cylinder engine produces 333 horsepower, enough to launch from 0 to 60 mph in a staggering 4.8 seconds."

QED.

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
mr. diablo,

this is the post i was looking for! you totally put things into perspective.

swede123
12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm confused as to how you expect to pay 40-44K for a car with an invoice price of 26-30K. Does it come fully loaded with hookers and blow?

That being said, wasting money on stupid crap is what youth is supposed to be all about. Of course in my youth there wasn't online poker so my money wasting involved video games and comic books.

Swede

wonderwes
12-14-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cars are a massive waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true.

Buy a good 20k car, one with good gas mileage, use the other amount to go travel the world, see sporting events. The IS is a sick car, but I mean how important is a car for you? Hell whats wrong with an IS 2004 model? I think it would be smarter to buy a cheaper car, and then soop it up with a stereo/alarm/tint/etc. What about a great HDtv.

You are 19. You got a great setup to go travel. Do it while you can. Ever been to Europe?

wonderwes
12-14-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lexus's aren't even cool in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that isn't some east coast bias. Texas is big, and yes I would say it leans a bit to the country side. But living in the 4 big cities (H-town, Big D, SA, and Austin) are quite urbanized. Haven't you ever seen a Mike Jones video?

20Five
12-14-2005, 07:28 PM
theres much more fun to be had in 40k then driving around like some big swinging dick in a mint lexus at age 19..

...or is there...? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Save another 10k and buy a Lotus Elise..... The answer is that simple... If that's not a choice, go with the Lexus, you're 19 once, live it up.

ScottyP431
12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay? I mean, for 40K you could get a pretty sic
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's
-Unreal classic car (GTO, cuda, trans am etc. with like 400 horses and an insane after market stereo)

and your going for a 4 cylinder mid size sports sedan? What?

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
funny you mention the elise. up until yesterday i had my heart set on one. unfortunately, the lotus elise might be THE most impractical car i could buy. they are sexy as hell, though. don't even get me started on the exige ...

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay? I mean, for 40K you could get a pretty sic
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are talking about the old charger/mustang, the new ones are god awful. And as for SUV's, who would want one with gas prices the way they are?

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Scotty,

I don't even know what this model is. If I were him and wanted a Lexus, I'd prob go sc340. If that's too much, maybe a Boxster (or preferably Boxster S).

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
funny you mention the elise. up until yesterday i had my heart set on one. unfortunately, the lotus elise might be THE most impractical car i could buy. they are sexy as hell, though. don't even get me started on the exige ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You never mentionted practicality (is that word?)..... What are your intentions with this car...

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If that's too much, maybe a Boxster (or preferably Boxster S).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to spend your money on a Porsche, at least get a Carerra.

SomethingClever
http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/images/Ducati%20Monster%20620%20ie.jpg

GUY ON THE INTERNET SAYS BUY A DUCATI, YOU FX^#ING DO IT!

[ QUOTE ]
-mustang
-charger
-Any numberof SUV's
-Unreal classic car (GTO, cuda, trans am etc. with like 400 horses and an insane after market stereo)

and your going for a 4 cylinder mid size sports sedan? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Im with you. Although the cars you listed arent real cool either, mustangs/chargers etc. I like the SUV/Classic Car option though. Or do get a couple cars, thats what I decided on. I have a jeep wrangler for the summer/off-roading, a superbee Im restoring (although you can probably find one in decent condidtion). Mine is going to be similar to this. http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/dodge-superbee/images/dodge-superbee-1969a.jpg and a Deville for everyday use. If you are doing it for the chick factor you are definetly going to pull more tail driving a classic, than your suped up toyota:
http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_geneva/0503_lexus_is_11.jpg

eviljeff
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mr. diablo,

this is the post i was looking for! you totally helped me justify a ridiculous purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/images/Ducati%20Monster%20620%20ie.jpg

GUY ON THE INTERNET SAYS BUY A DUCATI, YOU FX^#ING DO IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, you gotta get a bike... maybe a 20k "hoopty" and a bike? Mmmmmm

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
sl,

Boxsters start around 40, 911s around 70. That's prob too much of a stretch given his budget goals.

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sl,

Boxsters start around 40, 911s around 70. That's prob too much of a stretch given his budget goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know.... but I'm just saying... If you're going to bother getting a Porsche, don't get a Boxster. They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college), and my first paycheck, time to pretend I'm rich.... At least that's all I see in the people who drive them here.

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 07:42 PM
sl,

"They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college)"

Maybe after college, but right now for this kid, it screams to all the hot college chicks "look at me, I'm 19 and have a brand new Porsche!"

Voltron87
12-14-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that isn't some east coast bias. Texas is big, and yes I would say it leans a bit to the country side. But living in the 4 big cities (H-town, Big D, SA, and Austin) are quite urbanized. Haven't you ever seen a Mike Jones video?

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot to put "big" in quotes.

waco- imo theres much more you can do with the money rather than buy a overpriced car. the finance is pretty simple, car loses value, insurance is a [censored], etc. i honestly think that its pretty vulgar and im not sure how much it will genuinely attrack peoples postive attention. it is hard to live up to the cash spending rep that you will get if your are like yayo in the lexus, the golddiggers will see this and bounce out. if you are a baller and make good money from poker it will show in subtle ways, you dont have to flaunt it. esp when in college and on the golf team... i dont see how you should need that much help.

slipoker
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sl,

"They just scream... Hey I finally got a real job (after college)"

Maybe after college, but right now for this kid, it screams to all the hot college chicks "look at me, I'm 19 and have a brand new Porsche!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and if you say you got it by playing poker.... Guaranteed action...

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Voltron,

It's not that he needs the help, it's that he's looking to take his game to the next level in a fun, somewhat over-the-top manner. Just living it up, who knows what might happen tomorrow? Sure, he'll have 300k in 30 years if he sticks it in the bank, but there's a lot of other ways to make 300k. And who knows, he might not be alive in 30 years. What good is that 300k then?

For people who still don't understand it, check out Last Holiday (http://www.lastholidaymovie.com/) on January 13.

Voltron87
12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

It's not that he needs the help, it's that he's looking to take his game to the next level in a fun, somewhat over-the-top manner. Just living it up, who knows what might happen tomorrow? Sure, he'll have 300k in 30 years if he sticks it in the bank, but there's a lot of other ways to make 300k. And who knows, he might not be alive in 30 years. What good is that 300k then?

For people who still don't understand it, check out Last Holiday (http://www.lastholidaymovie.com/) on January 13.

[/ QUOTE ]

first im not even convinced that the car will be that great for getting girls, it is easy to get ass in college, and the girls he will get with an is250 will not be unworldly in quality and will be annoying and all that. we are talking about a lexus, not a ferrari or top end porsche (not to knock the lexus, but its a big gap).

2nd your financial analysis sucks, but you are funny in character. nh.

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Voltron,

The 300k is not from sticking all the money in the bank, just the difference between buying an awesome car and a less awesome car.

As I said before, I have no idea about the is250. That's why I suggested something like a Porsche instead. For his purposes, I think the Boxster would do fine.

Obviously, like Ed Miller, when you get older you will have plenty of money in your investment account to buy a nice minivan and white picket fence for your house, which is cool.

WACOKID however, is more concerned about partying like a rock star for as long as possible - more power to him.

ScottyP431
12-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Slipoker,
You don't like the new mustang? Not even the speciel edition Bullit ones?

Guids,

I operate on the "if its good enough for 50" principle of cool, so if i was going for a sedan around 40k I would definately roll the 300.

El D,
Your taste in Lexis is much better than the OP's

OP',
I asked my GF (born and raised in Waco)what kind of vehicle would be most +EP in Waco and she concurred with some of the other posters "some kind of big expensive truck".

I agree with El D though, you're to young to be thinking about saving etc, get some wheels.

12-14-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

The 300k is not from sticking all the money in the bank, just the difference between buying an awesome car and a less awesome car.

As I said before, I have no idea about the is250. That's why I suggested something like a Porsche instead. For his purposes, I think the Boxster would do fine.

Obviously, like Ed Miller, when you get older you will have plenty of money in your investment account to buy a nice minivan and white picket fence for your house, which is cool.

WACOKID however, is more concerned about partying like a rock star for as long as possible - more power to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is, rockstars dont drive Lexus'. Im all for blowing money on dumb [censored], but if you are going to pull a move and buy a car too expensive for your age group, buy something much flashier.

david050173
12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I guess I am a bit biased but I doubt anyone will even notice a lexus or bmw. The high school parking lots I drive by are packed with them. I assume the reason he picked the IS250 is cause he likes it (you can't compare the 2006 is to the previous generation. The cars have changed way too much). If his only goal is to pick up chicks, there are probably better ways of blowing the cash (20k used bmw, 5k on clothes, 10k on the killer crib,...)

TheRover
12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Just don't get a classic car, you'd probably [censored] it up and make it look [censored].

12-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Are you crazy 40k on a car?!

you're gonna want to spend that money on a watch, watches are timeless

http://byzauction.com/ioffer/nx/rx21.jpg

you're gonna need that watch

Ed Miller
12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't !@#$ with my Texas cred. An Austinite too. I've been to:

Abilene
Amarillo
Austin
Beaumont
Brownsville
Childress
Corpus Christi
Dallas
Denton
Edinburg
Fort Worth
Galveston
Houston
Jasper
McAllen
Mineral Wells
Nacogdoches
Port Arthur
San Antonio
Tyler
Vider
Waco
Wichita Falls
...and I was born in Lubbock.

And I know full well that in Waco they like their !@#$ing trucks.

Ed Miller
12-14-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks this car is really gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one. 90% of the Baylor girls think so too.

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
TWC,

I just looked up the is250. Whoa. Bad choice! I don't think it looks impressive at all.

Spend that money (maybe a little more than you planned) and pick up a sweet flashy car that will really turn heads!

THATWACOKID
12-14-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not the only one. 90% of the Baylor girls think so too.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are WAAAYY off. this things got a button that cleans the damn headlights for christs sake. may not be very useful but it sure is cool!

Ed Miller
12-14-2005, 08:58 PM
You want some love in Waco, you get yourself one of these (http://www.dairyqueen.com/en-US/DQ+Franchising/default.htm).

LittleOldLady
12-14-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You want some love in Waco, you get yourself one of these (http://www.dairyqueen.com/en-US/DQ+Franchising/default.htm).

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true! LOL

TMFS9
12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Paying off a 40k car while 19 years old should do wonders for your credit, which could save you a good bit of money in the future. So while there is a general waste for buying this expensive of a car it's not all terrible.

Supersetoy
12-14-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paying off a 40k car while 19 years old should do wonders for your credit, which could save you a good bit of money in the future. So while there is a general waste for buying this expensive of a car it's not all terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has no one suggested the option of leasing it?

If it's all for "status" while you're in college, make a small downpayment on it, and who cares about the monthly payments? Throw it away after 3 years and hopefully by then you'll have grown up a little bit and realized that HOUSES are more important than EXPENSIVE cars.

I was like you when I was 17. I bought myself a brand new Civic Si (laugh now, but all of my friends drooled, and the girls loved it in college), dumped another 10K hooking it up, and my Junior year it was stolen (of course).

After that point, I realized that cars were a huge waste of money, picked up a GTi that I paid in full from my insurance money and haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years. (And don't plan on having one for another 5 at least).

Now, I've got a good job (and play cards PT) and am buying a brand new $500K house in the Seattle burbs. Believe me, a nice, new, HUGE house will get you much more status than some depreciating asset ever will (you'll think this way soon enough).

slipoker
12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slipoker,
You don't like the new mustang? Not even the speciel edition Bullit ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no I do not, I think they're terrible looking. From my experience people either love or hate the car, nothing in between.

slipoker
12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Voltron,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is, rockstars dont drive Lexus'. Im all for blowing money on dumb [censored], but if you are going to pull a move and buy a car too expensive for your age group, buy something much flashier.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about an early 90's NSX? You can pick em up for just over 30k if you're lucky.

12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has no one suggested the option of leasing it?

If it's all for "status" while you're in college, make a small downpayment on it, and who cares about the monthly payments? Throw it away after 3 years and hopefully by then you'll have grown up a little bit and realized that HOUSES are more important than EXPENSIVE cars.

I was like you when I was 17. I bought myself a brand new Civic Si (laugh now, but all of my friends drooled, and the girls loved it in college), dumped another 10K hooking it up, and my Junior year it was stolen (of course).

After that point, I realized that cars were a huge waste of money, picked up a GTi that I paid in full from my insurance money and haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years. (And don't plan on having one for another 5 at least).

Now, I've got a good job (and play cards PT) and am buying a brand new $500K house in the Seattle burbs. Believe me, a nice, new, HUGE house will get you much more status than some depreciating asset ever will (you'll think this way soon enough).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just get a penile implant, its much cheaper in the long run. Seriously, I understand the whole cool car thing, and getting chicks, but if your guys' whole life revolves around status etc, you are doomed to be unhappy the rest of your life. Grow up, realize that buying stuff doesnt make you cool, and stop being morons. Buy a really expensive car, because you like it. Not so other people will like you.

surfinillini
12-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Lexus is one of the most reliable and luxurious cars on the market, definitely worth the money regardless of previous posters comments. My family has a new Lexus GS series and it is one of the nicest cars I've ever been in, seen, and driven.

With that being said, what the [censored] does a 19 year old little [censored] need a 44K car for. Do you push drugs?

DO YOU HAVE ANY [censored] IDEA WHAT INSURANCE WOULD COST YOU FOR THAT CAR BEING 19 YEARS OLD, YOU NEED COLLISION/COMP/LIABILITY/LOAN LEASE GAP IN CASE YOU TOTAL THE CAR...

This is a stupid purchase at your age and you should be punched in the face or this retard thread.

Voltron87
12-14-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With that being said, what the [censored] does a 19 year old little [censored] need a 44K car for. Do you push drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

genius

Ulysses
12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
TWC,

Please don't let the jealous haters get you down. I can tell you for sure what they weren't doing at 19.

Have you considered some of the other cars (Porsche, sc340, etc.) mentioned in this thread?

12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TWC,

Please don't let the jealous haters get you down. I can tell you for sure what they weren't doing at 19.

Have you considered some of the other cars (Porsche, sc340, etc.) mentioned in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off its a SC 430. The IS250/350 is the best car in its class by far. Lexus is rated number one in almost all car magazines in almost all categories. Until one of you has owned a Lexus and or test driven/sat in a Lexus IS250/350 dont knock it. I dont understand how you guys can post about something you know nothing about. Like the guy who kept posting about the price of the car. The car is 32k all the way up to 47k. BMW/Mercedes technology options do not come close to this car. Lexus is the best made car in the world if you want to dispute that pick up a Car and Driver and read for your self.

THATWACOKID
12-15-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DO YOU HAVE ANY [censored] IDEA WHAT INSURANCE WOULD COST YOU FOR THAT CAR BEING 19 YEARS OLD, YOU NEED COLLISION/COMP/LIABILITY/LOAN LEASE GAP IN CASE YOU TOTAL THE CAR...

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, yeah, i do. i can pay a year's worth with about half of what i won today /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

swede123
12-15-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, yeah, i do. i can pay a year's worth with about half of what i won today /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocks and Rings all the way, baby.

THATWACOKID
12-15-2005, 01:39 AM
mr. diablo,

the cars i've thought about are:

1) bmw m3
2)lotus elise (pretty much ruled this one out)
3)lexus is250/350(doubtful)
4)hoopty (very unlikely after you talked some sense into me /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

my dad had a boxter s and i didn't like it all that much to be honest. i think the lexus sc430 is kinda girly. if you sat in the same is250 i was in yesterday you would think differently.

surfinillini
12-15-2005, 01:46 AM
since you have your mind set and have the cash why not pick up one of these:

Lexus GS (IS looks like a souped up Camry)

or step it up for this, since it is goot to turn heads since that's your goal here:

http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/CLS500C_main.jpg

'06 CLS500

Ulysses
12-15-2005, 01:58 AM
TWK,

I agree that the SC looks a little girly with the top up. I still like it though.

I understand the positives of the IS250, but I just think at your age you'll have more fun in a more traditionally sporty car rather than a "sport sedan."

Perhaps you should start a thread, best sporty/flashy car to get for $40-50k.

J.A.Sucker
12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Diablo,

The Boxster sucks. The Boxster S is where it's at, and the base price on these things is totally fake. To actually get one off the lot, you're gonna have to spend 60K+. They kill you on "options" that really aren't. I've checked these things out. The Lexus convertible is a chick's car, anyway, so I wouldn't get that either (though it's actually cheaper out the door than the Box S).

FWIW, I'd get the F-150 in Texas and save the rest for hookers n' blow.

In the interest of full disclosure, I drive a crappy Maxima with 115000 miles on it, but I like that car. I will buy a toy soon, and it is the Lotus Elise, but I will keep the Nissan just to taunt Zee the next time he comes out. I'm also going to buy a house of some sort.

lapoker17
12-15-2005, 02:01 AM
i can't believe all the haters. this kid wants to buy the bottom of the line lexus, not a bentley. and he's using his own money.

those who view cars as investments should not be replying. you are lame. cars are for fun.

OP, though your price range is fine, your choice of vehicles is not.

chicks do not know cars. therefore, they will have no idea this is a nice car because it looks like a japanese economy sedan. chicks will think you are driving a jacked up civic. that is not what we are going for.

if spending that kind of money, you need something distinctive. the is250 looks very average.

i have a few ideas for you, but im going to do a little research first. i will report back.

stay strong.

surfinillini
12-15-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TWK,

I agree that the SC looks a little girly with the top up. I still like it though.

I understand the positives of the IS250, but I just think at your age you'll have more fun in a more traditionally sporty car rather than a "sport sedan."

Perhaps you should start a thread, best sporty/flashy car to get for $40-50k.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are tons more USED flashier cars he could get with 50K.

THATWACOKID
12-15-2005, 02:03 AM
j.a.,

have you seen the lotus exige? i think they just came out this year.

everyone down here in texas has a truck. and i'm not really a truck kinda guy. also, the types of girls i'm interested in like fancy cars better than big trucks. ya know not all people in texas are country.

Voltron87
12-15-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since you have your mind set and have the cash why not pick up one of these:

Lexus GS (IS looks like a souped up Camry)

or step it up for this, since it is goot to turn heads since that's your goal here:

http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/CLS500C_main.jpg

'06 CLS500

[/ QUOTE ]

ugggghhh for teh high end that is such a disgusting car. all mercs have a sort of old people ish feeling as opposed to sportier cars in its class.

that one that lindsay lohan crashed, now that is a [censored] money car.

surfinillini
12-15-2005, 02:12 AM
50K you could pick up one of these from 03-04 with under 10K miles

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/61/55/df_4.JPG

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/a/05/62/0a/47_4.JPG

or what 6 months and think about this

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/RangeRover_Sport/Overview_AD660EF9-ED7E-49D2-88D2-A3BFBEAEEFBA_502x670.jpg

surfinillini
12-15-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the new SL500, it's over 100K - twice his price range

an '04 MASERATI might be his best bet...

david050173
12-15-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the new SL500, it's over 100K - twice his price range

an '04 MASERATI might be his best bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing an 04 sl500 will be about the same price as an 04 maserati. I have no clue which is going to cost more to maintain but I bet both are more than I can imagine /images/graemlins/grin.gif As nice to note that the orginal poster has a "reasonable" car compared to most of the stuff that followed.

Ulysses
12-15-2005, 06:08 PM
TWC,

Any updates? If you are up in the air about which car to go with, please start a new thread for car recommendations!