PDA

View Full Version : college

12-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey guys. This is my first post(not reply) in OOT. So, I was looking for some advice, and for a laugh. So, I am a freshman at carnegie mellon, my declared major is math, but I had intended to double or switch into computer science. I have in the past seen beauty in programming, but I saw some ugly [censored] over thanksgiving break when I had to work through tons and tons of code to ultimately give up on fixing a problem that couldnt be identified. This made me hate, for the moment, computer science. My love of math is growing, since I stopped playing online poker because I suck at it, but own live. I have also been getting more sleep. I am now thinking about making my second major physics, instead of comp sci, because I like it, and my pops says physics is about to go through a revolution that math went through a while ago. I'm staying in school instead of going off to a monastery or some [censored] because I'm good at math, but otherwise, I lack deep value of anything, including people, money, school, life, etc.

so, what say ye?

istewart
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Stopped reading here:

[ QUOTE ]
since I stopped playing online poker because I suck at it, but own live.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-13-2005, 11:47 PM
ADD is a beatch. both in reading posts, and me staying focused at poker online.

aaronbeen
12-13-2005, 11:48 PM
If you are interested in logic and abstract math do comp sci. If you are interested in calculus do physics.

12-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I am good at, but sick of calc. I like logic and game theory. I love number theory and theoretical math.

JihadOnTheRiver
If you double in Math and Physics at CM, you're face will explode.

DiamondDave
Statistics? Operations research?

12-13-2005, 11:51 PM
did you go to cmu?

benza13
12-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Sorry, the correct answer is the last option, but should read Taco Bell instead of Burger King, so that you can give OOT the hookup on TB.

InchoateHand
12-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah, ADD pretty much screws your chance for success. Go to Taco Bell.

MelchyBeau
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM
If you don't like calculus then physics isn't for you. I have a B.S. in Physics and start work on an M.S. in Math in January.

The amount of americans getting physics degrees (along with every other science type of degree) is steadily dropping.

If you want to work in a physics position though you will need a graduate degree.

Melch

12-14-2005, 12:01 AM
I should correct myself, I am sick of basic calculus. I find it boring. I like diff Eq's and such, though, but we just touched on that at the end of the semester. I plan on getting a graduate degree in at least one thing I major in, or in what I major in if only one thing.

Dynasty
12-14-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ADD is a beatch. both in reading posts, and me staying focused at poker online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are new to OOT so let me point out rule #1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/nopkrinoot.gif

You should study and work at what you love.

cdxx
12-14-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have in the past seen beauty in programming, but I saw some ugly [censored] over thanksgiving break when I had to work through tons and tons of code to ultimately give up on fixing a problem that couldnt be identified. This made me hate, for the moment, computer science.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can see you succeeding at nothing you choose.

12-14-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have in the past seen beauty in programming, but I saw some ugly [censored] over thanksgiving break when I had to work through tons and tons of code to ultimately give up on fixing a problem that couldnt be identified. This made me hate, for the moment, computer science.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the constructive response!
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-14-2005, 12:26 AM
There is a lot more to CS than programming. I suggest you do some exploratory reading to figure out what you like. May I suggest Gödel, Escher, Bach for a start? Other (mathematics) suggestions: The Mathematical Experience (Davis and Hersh) and A Mathematician's Apology (Hardy).

Edit: also, talk to professors and grad students in the fields you feel you might be interested, especially if you want to go to grad school in them.

wonderwes
12-14-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This made me hate, for the moment, computer science.

so, what say ye?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comp Sci was my major as a freshman. And I hated it too. Coding just gets more and more complex as it goes along. And coding for a profession, well it horrid.

Physics is not an easy major. It just piles and piles of math to do. Ever thought of CIS or MIS. Depends on which college you go to is which its called. Its most likely in your business school. You can learn lots of things about the computer field, but just a whole lot less coding.

If you feel computers is a major you want to stay in, the switch to those majors. Also you should work on certifications. Piling up those will have actual use in the real IT world. Plus employers will see you are more than qualified for the job.

There is a good reason why you see a lot of people start of as Computer Science majors, but dont graduate with it.

man
12-14-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it was most certainly constructive. do you see why?

major in physics, major in comp sci, major in economics, major in something else where you can use math and logic. if you only focus in math, it will become boring. I'm a senior at syracuse (by no means a math powerhouse), and I fell out of love with math about two years ago. if I had had somewhere else to apply it, I feel I may have enjoyed it more.

I voted for computer science based on your love of logic and game theory. but remember you can always minor in both (depending on your school).

cdxx
12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think of switching majors the first time you see a difficult piece of code, what makes you think math or physics (and CS for that matter) is for you? finding aspects of your work that you like and finishing what you started is essential to any profession and field.

bennyk
12-14-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did you go to cmu?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, and I knew several people who double majored in those fields. It is a lot of work, but so is any major at CMU.

bk

JaBlue
12-14-2005, 02:16 AM
this is a question that you need to answer yourself. just do what makes you most happy