PDA

View Full Version : I'm a complete Moron!!! Orleans Open No Limit Hand!

balt999
07-18-2003, 03:19 AM
Just returned from playing in the Orleans Open Second Chance tournament $125 +100 rebuy...No limit Event..As usually it attracted a huge field -- 295 players!! Here I am prodding along playing very well...I got my stack to around 7K with around 40 players remaining...27 players paid...and here's the hand that busted me...

Blinds are 200-400 100 ante..
UTG + 2 (he has a monster stack of around 12K-13Kraises to 5K...folded around to another player to mucks pocket 8s face up...much to the anger of the initial raiser...I look down and see pocket 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ...The huge raise under the gun screamed picture cards....I put him on AQ or AJ...I decided to move in the rest of my money....The raiser calls me instantly..He has A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif The raiser flops a flush and I'm gone...

I believe this was a Move in or fold hand...Like I've said in previous e-mails..I'm an instinctive player, and I felt I had the best hand going into the flop..albiet a small favorite, but I felt I made the right play here...but I wanted to solicit a few ideas on how I should have played this hand..I guess I have a hit or miss no limit style...I know it's reckless, but I play to win...

Thanks...

/forums/images/icons/spade.gif YEs, it does suck to get so far, and get nothing for your effort /forums/images/icons/spade.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

homer001
07-18-2003, 03:39 AM
At that point in the tournament, just tip your cap, flip over 77 if you must, and play the next hand. At best you're 55-45 against the chip leader. Even if he said, "hey, I have AK, you should not play. 100-200 blinds give a lot of room for play, and you shouldn't play guessing games against a big stack. Save it for a better hand, win the tournament later.

Ignatius
07-18-2003, 05:41 AM
Esay fold. You're either on a coinflip or a 4:1 dog. Even considering antes and assuming the blinds will always fold, your play is zero EV if he has the overpair just 1/4 of the times. Even if he showed you his As9s, you should still muck as your small overlay is nullified by the risk of someone behind coming along with a real hand.

nicky g
07-18-2003, 06:05 AM
"The raiser calls me instantly"

Of course he does - he's put 5K in and it's only another 2 to call. That's the problem - not only are you at best even money here, but there is no way to make him lay down his hand, so you're simply gambling.

slamdunkpro
07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Fold - Live to play another hand. A mid pair is a 50% possibility at best & the blinds were not big enough to force you all in at that point.

J.R.
07-18-2003, 05:33 PM
I believe this was a Move in or fold hand

Why? You have plenty of chips, and are either a small favorite or huge-underdog only 13 out of the money.

balt999
07-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I guess the consescus rules on this hand...I always try to make the right decisions...but when your in the heat of the moment, sometimes you do thinks out of emotions..maybe my ego got in a way..Either way, it's a learning experience....

cferejohn
07-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I agree that it was 'move in or fold', but I also agree, along with everyone else, that 'fold' was superior to 'move in'. Certainly calling would have been worst of all.