PDA

View Full Version : ($22) Stop N Go here?

xJMPx
12-13-2005, 06:22 PM
This is a move I have very little experience with, is this a good spot? UTG is not a solid player.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 6 - 5 players (Converter: PGC (http://client.pokergrader.com))

Chip Counts:
Button: 510 Chips
SB: 2100 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 935 Chips</font>
UTG: 2740 Chips
CO: 1715 Chips

Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Blinds are 100/200

PreFlop
<font color="red">UTG RAISES ($400)</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) FLOP: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif ( Pot Size: 900 Chips )
Hero is All-In…

12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't like it. Is an UTG minraise more likely to be weakness or strength?

I don't think A5o is a good stop'n'go hand either.

xJMPx
12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
UTG has been playing a lot of hand and min raise is pretty standard. I think his range if fairly wide here.

pineapple888
12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG has been playing a lot of hand and min raise is pretty standard. I think his range if fairly wide here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. It's a tough spot to be in. I guess stop-and-go is as good as anything else. A5 just sucks here because it's so often dominated.

xJMPx
12-13-2005, 08:54 PM
bump

tipperdog
12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
IMO, the biggest reason NOT to stop-and-go is your lack of fold equity post flop. If I'm counting right, you have about T500 left and the pot is T900. So if you push, your big-stacked opponent will face nearly 3:1 odds.

Put yourself in his shoes. Unless your UTG raise was a total bluff, what are you folding for 3:1?

The Stop-n-go is perfect in situations where your opponent will want to fold unless he hit the flop hard. Here, he's usually correct to call regardless of the flop. Sorry, I don't like the play.

tipperdog
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
IMO, the biggest reason NOT to stop-and-go is your lack of fold equity post flop. If I'm counting right, you have about T500 left and the pot is T900. So if you push, your big-stacked opponent will face nearly 3:1 odds.

Put yourself in his shoes. Unless your UTG raise was a total bluff, what are you folding for 3:1?

The Stop-n-go is perfect in situations where your opponent will want to fold unless he hit the flop hard. Here, he's usually correct to call regardless of the flop. Sorry, I don't like the play.

Uppercut
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
I really prefer to stop and go with a pocket pair and not a weak Ace. I've seen many a big stack call my post flop pushes with their AK or AQ overcards, so if they do that to you, you are in deep doo doo.

12-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Hmmm... would you call with overs here getting 3:1?

12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
If your gonna play the hand, then stop and go is the way to go. It all depends if you really think A5 is too good to fold. I'd prob fold this preflop because A5 sucks even against a large range like you described. If it were A8+ then I'd sotp and go.

xJMPx
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your gonna play the hand, then stop and go is the way to go. It all depends if you really think A5 is too good to fold. I'd prob fold this preflop because A5 sucks even against a large range like you described. If it were A8+ then I'd sotp and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

My play really had nothing to do with the two cards I had in the hole. It was all about my stack size. At this point I already have more than 20% of the my stack invested. If I fold, I will have put over 30% of my stack in the middle just from posting the blinds when I'm on the SB next hand.

If I fold, there is no guarantee that I'll get a steal opportunity from the SB or button and still will be pretty short on fold equity. Also, if I fold both my blinds I'll only have t635 so even doubling me up only gets me to 6xBBs.

So, for me the question is, when do I have maximum fold equity?

It seems the consensus is that I have little to no fold equity in this spot postflop, so I guess waiting would have been preferable.

I’m really unsure when a stop n go is the right move. People here are saying that A5 is too weak, but I’ve posted other hands when they say a strong hand is wasted by stop n go’s. Are middle pairs the only time they are appropriate, because if that is the case it will be a pretty rare move because pocket pairs from the blind position aren’t not coming a long all that often when short stacked.