PDA

View Full Version : Tips on handling an "Over Budget" Tournament

12-13-2005, 02:40 PM
So I just satellited in to the UB $200+$15 $75K guarantee on Wednesday for $6. My usual buyin for tournaments are $5-$10, so this tournament will be way out of my norm. Just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to handle myself. What to expect...how I should play differently or not play differently. Not be scared...stuff like that.

tripp0807
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I just satellited in to the UB $200+$15 $75K guarantee on Wednesday for $6. My usual buyin for tournaments are $5-$10, so this tournament will be way out of my norm. Just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to handle myself. What to expect...how I should play differently or not play differently. Not be scared...stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you know the answer to this...play the best you possibly can, and if you're scared, a number of players at this level will sense it very quickly and pounce accordingly. So don't play scared.

Have some fun, too.

whiskeytown
12-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Just look at it like this. You ARE playing a $6 tourney. You can't get the buyin back on that site, I don't believe, so just go into it with nothing to lose and play your best game.

If you bust say "best $6 satellite I ever played" and write off your loss/ROI and move on - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used to play the $215 scared - I'm eager to try it again with my new focus and see what happens.

RB

La Brujita
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
You got very good tips above. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. All you can do is play your best poker, changing what you know up to know makes no sense.

2. Turn off the tv, don't multitable and really concentrate on the game alone.

3. Try to identify players who you can steal pots from. Steal pots from them.

4. Don't get weak tight around the bubble.

5. Think about potsizes. Don't overcommit yourself with marginal hands. Checking the turn in position can truly be your friend.

6. The blind structure is pretty slow in these things (or so I'm told). Take some chances in position, but at the same time be patient.

7. Avoid butting into me cause I'm gonna play for the first time (just rejoined ub) and I kind of plan on winning.

JeanieJ
12-13-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Turn off the tv, don't multitable and really concentrate on the game alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me but I almost ALWAYS have to have something going on during the early stages of any tournament. Be it another table, the TV, music or something. Without it, it's just too quiet and I get bored and don't focus the way I should.

I guess it all depends on the player though.

McMelchior
12-13-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're scared, a number of players at this level will sense it very quickly and pounce accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, my best advice it don't overestimate the strengh of your opposition. You will not be the only player to enter via $6 satellite.

I haven't play UB for years, but the donk level at PokerStars $215 MTTs is simply amazing.

Always consider the possibility that you opponent know what he's doing, but never take it for granted.

What I'm saying is there's no reason to be scared; of course there'll be many players much stronger than you, but there'll most likely also (judging from the fact that you bother to seek advice here - most players don't) be many players far weaker than you!

Best of luck!

McMelchior (Johan)

La Brujita
12-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Great point. Its always shocking to me to see how many people are truly gambling when blinds are small compared to stacks.

ansky451
12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
I have played the UB 215 multiple times and although it isn't as soft as the ps 215, or pp 215, it is soft. In general the play early on in the tournament is way worse than the play in the daily 100s. The main reason (nothing personal) is players like yourself who satellite in for like 10 dollars. The mere fact that you have made this post in preperation indicates to me that you are going to be better off than the typical 3 dollar qualifiers. The fact that you are taking time to prepare for this is a good thing.

Play solid poker, and do NOT play scared. That is the absolute worst thing you can do. Forget that you paid 6 dollars for the tournament. If you go into the bubble thinking "oh i can turn my 6 dollars into 250 dollars if I just fold into the money" then you are losing a lot of EV. Play it like its your standard buy in tournament.