PDA

View Full Version : 2004 NBA Championship odds

IrishHand
07-17-2003, 08:44 PM
West - Lakers 6-5, Kings 5-1, Spurs 9-2, Mavericks 7-1, Minnesota 18-1
With the Spurs inevitable decline and the guarantee that the Eastern winner will be a walkover, I've got to think that the Kings at 5-1 not a bad bet. Don't get me wrong - I hate the Kings - I just realize that they remain the most talented and deep team in the NBA. Can they beat the Lakers when it matters? I think they could more than 1 in 5 - and as of now, I can't see any other team beating either the Kings or the Lakers. So saying, I take Minnesota at 18-1 before I go near the Spurs or Mavs. The Wolves added an All-Star PG in exchange for an average PF (Joe Smith), added Olowakandi for nothing (upgrade over Nesterovic) and will probably still deal Brandon's retiring contract for a solid player.

East - Nets 15-1, Pistons 15-1, Hornets 18-1, Pacers 18-1, Magic 20-1, Celtics 30-1
With an Eastern team, you're betting they make the Finals, then you just pray that a miracle happens. To me, the problem lies in that no Eastern team can score on the Western elite when they chose to stop them - and I can't see that changing next year.

Dynasty
07-17-2003, 11:14 PM
Anybody who takes the Lakers at 6-5 before Friday's press conference is not thinking straight.

John Ho
07-18-2003, 02:16 AM
If the nets are 15-1 they are the best bet out there. Were it not for some questionable coaching by Byron Scott they may have won it this year. The Lakers seem unbeatable except for Kobe's legal situation and Shaq's weight. But with Alonzo Mourning the Nets have the firepower to handle anyone out west.

IrishHand
07-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Agreed.