PDA

View Full Version : travelling to japan

man
12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
from dec 27th to jan 11 I'll be visiting my uncle in Kyoto, Japan. I've never been there before, and don't speak a lick of japanese. I figure to spend somewhere around $100 per day, and I will have a rail pass.

any thoughts on the places I should visit in the country?

mostsmooth
12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
nudie bars

12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Most of my time in Japan has been spent in the big cities. Tokyo, Kobe and Kyoto were the best use of my time. I didn't do much in the way of tourist attractions; I loved the hot springs in Kyoto, the technological district in Tokyo and pretty much any monastary i could find, but I don't have much in the way of specific recommendations for you. There is, however, a secret to travelling in Japan.

Learn a couple of key phrases. Every time my large caucasian frame produced an 'arigato', the people I was communicating with were delighted and went out of their way to be helpful. If I'd ask for directions, they'd actually take me to my destination. In a Yokohama train station, I asked where to find a taxi using an awful english-Japanese dictionary and the little old man I asked took my two suitcases (One filled with books), carried them up four flights of stairs and put them in a cab for me. That's how much they appreciate the effort.

While you're there, I highly recommend trying to find some Zabuton. It's steak that's been massaged and beer-soaked for 24 hours and might be the best this steak-lover has ever had. It's also rare enough that most restaurants won't serve two helpings to a party.

A few other suggestions:

- don't wear shorts.
- Never leave your chopsticks inside the rice bowl.
- Don't eat while walking or transporting.
- If you're going to try to bow, maintain eye contact.

You're going to have a great time,

Gary

12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi means yes

Arigato gozaimasu means thank you

Now you are ready for Japan!

lastsamurai
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
$100 a day? i hope you like cup of noodle..

Most of japan speaks english..

12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$100 a day? i hope you like cup of noodle..

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the noodle. Outside of hotels, there's very little english in my experience.

man
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learn a couple of key phrases. Every time my large caucasian frame produced an 'arigato', the people I was communicating with were delighted and went out of their way to be helpful. If I'd ask for directions, they'd actually take me to my destination. In a Yokohama train station, I asked where to find a taxi using an awful english-Japanese dictionary and the little old man I asked took my two suitcases (One filled with books), carried them up four flights of stairs and put them in a cab for me. That's how much they appreciate the effort.

[/ QUOTE ]
my brother told me about this. I'll definately try to take advantage. I appreciate the tips.

The reason I only have $100/day is because I'm a college student and am therefore poor.

one thing I'm wondering about is the nightlife scene, and how possible/fun it would be to go to a club or a bar if I didn't have a personal tour guide to help me through the language barrier. for some reason the prospect of hooking up with a girl I can't even talk with is alluring.

KaneKungFu123
12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
$100/day ???

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
$100 = 12,011 Yen right now. Not alot of money for a very expensive country.

And get used to signs like this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/SOFStriker/Bloop/signage7mp.jpg

man
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$100/day ???

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I'm in college and this is my working budget. my uncle says he budgets this much when he travels, and he's not a poor man. thoughts?

BCPVP
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Aikikai Hombu Dojo. Definitely post a trip report of what you do wind up seeing. A Pride fight would be cool, too.

DiamondDave
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Ginkakuji in Kyota is beautiful. Tokyo and Osaka have lotsa fun spots. Nagoya and Hiroshima are not as much fun.

dblgutshot
12-13-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true

Sooga
12-14-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I can second this, since I was in Japan just this past summer. Most Japanese ARE familiar with common words and phrases, but to say most of them can speak English is a bit of an overstatement.

jcx
12-14-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$100/day ???

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I'm in college and this is my working budget. my uncle says he budgets this much when he travels, and he's not a poor man. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is not to include your accomodation budget. I gather you are staying with your uncle in Kyoto but if exploring other areas like Tokyo this probably won't cut it, as a room in a hotel that caters to Westerners (and has an English speaking staff, but maybe you speak some Japanese so it won't matter) can easily cost $250/night, sometimes much more. You could opt to stay in hotels that cater to Japanese travelers, which can be cheaper but the rooms are postage stamps and English is usually not spoken. Or in Tokyo (and perhaps elsewhere) there is always the capsule hotels, where you sleep in what is essentially a human-sized kennel.

Food in Japan can be outrageously expensive, but doesn't have to be. Every depato (department store) has a food court in the basement with lots of inexpensive options. Or go to a noodle bar.

Kyoto is a great base and probably the best city in Japan for the tourist - hundreds of temples and shrines and examples of beautiful Japanese gardens and architechture. Tokyo is an absolute concrete jungle but has the best shopping and nightlife. If I was young, single and in Tokyo I'd probably be heading to Kabuki-cho.

Make sure to get off the train and take a gander at Mt Fuji when you pass by. Since it's wintertime you won't be able to climb it but the national park it's located in is very picturesque. I was in Japan around the same time last year as you will be there this year - it was cold. Dress appropriately.

man
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
yeah I probably should've explained better, I'm staying with my uncle. the $100/day figure is how much I figure to spend on food/fares/admission prices throughout my travels. I don't anticipate staying anywhere else overnight for longer than two nights total. wow, that's really important and I should've mentioned it.

thank you very much for the tips.

HoldingFolding
12-15-2005, 04:55 AM
I've lived in Osaka (just down the road from Kyoto) for 15 years. Don't worry about the language, your uncle will be able to help you out and folks are very friendly (especially off the beaten track). Also $100 a day is plenty if you don't have to worry about accomodation.

I recommend the Blarney Stone Pub in Osaka for a good night out - though I do have a (literal) vested interest.