PDA

View Full Version : ionic breeze...GET THIT SH*T NOW

DcifrThs
12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
i know its expensive...but omg this thing is absolutely amazing.

i went over to a friend's house who smokes cigarettes. i walked in during them smoking and like 5 minutes later i could smell the clean air. its sick. i bought one the second i got home. the air just gets so clean and is rid of all kinds of annoying crap. both my friends' apartment came together a month ago (they mvoed in ... one had cats, one didn't) and one friend was alergic to cats. since getting this thing, not one recurrance of cat allergies. if turned off, my friend will sneeze and be stuffed up constantly.

gotta feel it to believe it.

buy one.

Barron

siccjay
12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
How much are these things?

bicyclekick
12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I have the oreck XL and love that one too. I've only talked to one person about the ionic breeze and they said it didn't do squat. I'm curious to hear more people's oppinions.

12-13-2005, 01:35 PM
wow, I have always wondered if these worked on cigarette smoke. ordering now. thanks!

Salerosa
12-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I remember reading that it makes some people feel sick.

soko
12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I used to know exactly 4 people who have owned ionic breezes that worked a few months ago, now I know none.

morgan180
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
i've got two of these one downstairs and one in my bedroom - they do a great job of getting rid of pet hair and odor, etc.

they run about 200 a pop for the medium sized one.

link (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/sku__SI827GRY)

12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to know exactly 4 people who have owned ionic breezes that worked a few months ago, now I know none.

[/ QUOTE ]

They move away or just die?

Hiding
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Whichever one anyone gets, make sure it doesn't produce ozone. Ozone will break down a lot of rubber/synthetic items. It will destroy things like the rollers and drive belts in VCR's (if they exist anywhere anymore) and there are actually claims of them destroying carpet padding in very short time spans. first link I found here (http://www.inspect-ny.com/sickhouse/OzoneWarnings.htm)

soko
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
ionic breeze sucks, it's made of china plastic and is programmed to break on the stroke of midnight of the warranty expiration.

RunDownHouse
12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990910.html

Koss
12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I have one. It worked great for a few months then just got worse and worse. It's constantly hissing and making noises despite thorough cleaning.

junkmail3
12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ionic breeze sucks, it's made of china plastic and is programmed to break on the stroke of midnight of the warranty expiration.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the question is whether or not that plastic is gay.

12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one. It worked great for a few months then just got worse and worse. It's constantly hissing and making noises despite thorough cleaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they're pods sent here by aliens. Humans can be so naive.

12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the oreck XL and love that one too. I've only talked to one person about the ionic breeze and they said it didn't do squat. I'm curious to hear more people's oppinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consumers Reports has consistently said that the Ionic Breeze is ineffective and a tremendous waste of money.

Voltron87
12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Consumers Reports has consistently said that the Ionic Breeze is ineffective and a tremendous waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

end of thread.

waffle
12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this man speaks the truth. get something like this (http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=AIR+PURIFIERS&cat=139&prod=527) instead

toss
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Buying replacement filters is soooo incovenient.

siccjay
12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I need some kind of air purifier that works. This thread has motivated me to buy one today.

toss
12-13-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes the oreck xl goes for $370! I don't know if I want clean air that bad.

12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
My cousin has one, he was not impressed. I think it's kinda like a cult if you buy one. You spent so much farging $$$ on one that to make your self feel better about buying it you must make everyone you know buy one. It's like when someone has a child and says "They are the best things ever! When are you going to have one?!?!" with that dull glaze in their eyes.

The Truth
12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
My mom bought a couple of these. She gave one to me. It made my dad sick, and gave my roommate a consistent headache.

I vote thumbs down.

blake

swede123
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
The ozone emitted makes things smell fresh, while it's actually slowly poisoning you. Good stuff, the Ionic Breeze!

Swede

4_2_it
12-13-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ozone emitted makes things smell fresh, while it's actually slowly poisoning you. Good stuff, the Ionic Breeze!

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ordered one for every room of the mother-in-law's house!

bicyclekick
12-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ordered one for every room of the mother-in-law's house!

[/ QUOTE ]

Got me to laugh out loud haha.

Matt Flynn
12-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Ionic Breeze produces high levels of ozone. Ozone is great for blocking UV in the stratosphere but terrible for your lungs. In a small room you can actually smell it. I was surprised it was allowed on the market.

henrikrh
12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't buy this becuase of the name "ionic" breeze. Very few atoms exist as ionic gases in the fre environment, and none of them are necessary for living, all the molecules tend to breath in are non-ionic, and I don't even know if any ions are stable in gaseous form at room temperature. The name just shouts SCAM PRODUCT to me.

12-13-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't buy this becuase of the name "ionic" breeze. Very few atoms exist as ionic gases in the fre environment, and none of them are necessary for living, all the molecules tend to breath in are non-ionic, and I don't even know if any ions are stable in gaseous form at room temperature. The name just shouts SCAM PRODUCT to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. My experience is that any product I have ever bought from the Sharper Image has been an overpriced piece of crap.

astroglide
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Sharper Image pays $525,000 to end lawsuit against CU

Sharper Image Corp. has ended a product-disparagement lawsuit that it brought against Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports, paying CU court-ordered attorneys’ fees and costs totaling $525,000.

Sharper Image sued after Consumer Reports judged the company’s Ionic Breeze Quadra air cleaner “ineffective” in an October 2003 report. A U.S. District Court dismissed the suit, ruling that Sharper Image had not shown our findings to be false. Because Sharper Image’s claims affected CR’s rights of free speech and press, the court ordered the company to pay our legal expenses. Sharper Image filed an appeal but later withdrew it, ending the legal action.

“Sharper Image’s decision to withdraw its appeal puts an end to a lawsuit that should never have been filed, over reviews that were truthful, carefully researched, and fairly stated,” said Jim Guest, president of Consumers Union. “This is a victory for every American concerned about the rights of an unbiased organization to test products independently, and to speak out in the interest of product performance and quality.”

Alobar
12-13-2005, 03:20 PM
ive got one, I figure between that and my ionic Q-ray bracelet, I will live forever!!!

Ulysses
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Dcifr,

As usual, you don't disappoint. It is great that you are getting into high finance. We need more really gullible people involved in corporate America financial transactions!

MrMon
12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I dunno, mine works just fine. I don't claim it provides miracle cures or reanimates the dead, but it does pull stuff out of the air and works if you clean it every week or two. Very slight odor when I first got it, nothing now.

BTW, here the trick with these things. Buy the refurbished ones. (Sharper Image has an outlet store online.) Plenty of people return them for whatever reason, you can save a bundle that way.

Alobar
12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of people return them for whatever reason,

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, do I even need to make a joke here?

mmcd
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ionic Breeze produces high levels of ozone. Ozone is great for blocking UV in the stratosphere but terrible for your lungs. In a small room you can actually smell it. I was surprised it was allowed on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you're saying is that I should get an ionic breeze, but balance it out through heavy use of aerosol air fresheners? Should make for damn fresh room.

Jeebus
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I've used a hepa filter on and off and it always works wonder for me and is alot cheaper. It just uses filters to clean the air instead of all that ionic crap.

MrMon
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of people return them for whatever reason,

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, do I even need to make a joke here?

[/ QUOTE ]

People return lots of stuff. This is one of those items you either like or don't like. I personally like it, so there.

DcifrThs
12-13-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think ozone might have been the really clean "smell" i was smelling as opposed to the cigarettes etc...

i just looked up the order i made last night while intoxicated and there was the product w/ "ozone guard" ... this in and of itself was suspicious. i have just cancelled the order and will likely buy the hepa filter 99.97% of something or other instead.

but before i go on making stupid purchases, matt, as i trust your opinion, what should i get to filter my air?

Barron

siccjay
12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but before i go on making stupid purchases, matt, as i trust your opinion, what should i get to filter my air?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do share this information.

B Dids
12-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Better question for Dr. Matt?

Do we really need something to filter our air?

RunDownHouse
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
If you'll read that Straight Dope link on the first page, it seems like a good starting point for learning just how much good HEPA filters do as well.

deacsoft
12-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I have one and love it. I bought it instead of the HEPA air filter in regards to this thread: Beating Cats (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3981171&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1) I have found that it's works well for that issue. In addition to that, my girlfriend and I both smoke in the house and it does wonders for that.

Blarg
12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My cousin has one, he was not impressed. I think it's kinda like a cult if you buy one. You spent so much farging $$$ on one that to make your self feel better about buying it you must make everyone you know buy one. It's like when someone has a child and says "They are the best things ever! When are you going to have one?!?!" with that dull glaze in their eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, beautifully put.

Blarg
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, mine works just fine. I don't claim it provides miracle cures or reanimates the dead, but it does pull stuff out of the air and works if you clean it every week or two. Very slight odor when I first got it, nothing now.

BTW, here the trick with these things. Buy the refurbished ones. (Sharper Image has an outlet store online.) Plenty of people return them for whatever reason, you can save a bundle that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at the links a poster above provided, it says that humans lose the ability to smell such things after 20 minutes. That very slight odor didn't go away; you became habituated to it.

Ever been to the house of someone with plenty of cats? They can't smell it, but it can hit you like a wall when you walk in the place.

My folks used to own kennels and a pet shop and a quarantine, and I smelled crap up close constantly. It got to the point where, I kid you not, I could not smell dog poop unless it was within a foot of my face, and not very much even then.

If you can't even smell sh*t after a while, believe me, you can become habituated pretty easily to something like ozone pretty easily.

astroglide
12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
yeah he loses his * for the dull glaze comment

Blarg
12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you'll read that Straight Dope link on the first page, it seems like a good starting point for learning just how much good HEPA filters do as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cecil seemed out of his depth and a little perverse in that column. For instance, exposure to sunlight to help cure SADS has been used for a long time now and is not medical quackery. Yet he casts aspersions on it in a sort of guilt by association way in contrast to the very scientific study he cites. It looks like the scientists were right on this one and he was wrong.

He didn't seem all that hot on the HEPA filters either. Finding HEPA not effective in a study and surmising that this is because particles get stored in your mattress and such isn't that good a conclusion. First of all, every time you sit down on your couch or whatever, more particles will come out. Second, anyone with asthma can have it outdoors away from their couches and mattresses just as they can indoors, and it happens all the time. So clearly while stuff being absorbed into your living environs and popped back out at you when you get next to concentrations of it can be a problem, it's logically not the only problem. It would seem likely to me that if HEPA units clean out the air, they can only be making an improvement. How notable, I don't know or claim to. But if you're allergic to spores and those spores are being trapped in HEPA filters, I can't see how it isn't "the less the merrier." Especially if 99.7% of particulates are being removed.

I don't own an ionic thingy and am not interested in owning one, but have read good things about HEPA units and understand they are used in some hospitals and research facilities. I'm not sure that we should write them off, particularly not based on what Cecil says.

astroglide
12-13-2005, 07:08 PM
why wouldn't somebody just look it up at consumer reports? they just got a court case dismissed on the subject because their methods/proof couldn't be refuted. if it's not accessible for subscribers it's probably referenced all over the place in misc articles anyway (e.g. 'cr hated THIS and loved THIS'). an online subcription is certainly worth considering if decent-dollar purchases (outdoor grills, filters, appliances, etc) are going to be considered in the next year.

RunDownHouse
12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I agree with both of those points. To be fair, I said it was a good starting point, because it offers up sources for further research that won't be the HEPA shills that many Google searches will turn up.

If anyone is going to sink $400 into something like this, I'd hope they'd do enough reading to stumble upon the CR lawsuit, since that was big enough news that I remember hearing about it.

Ulysses
12-13-2005, 07:26 PM
All,

Review web page (http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/air-purifier-reviews/)

The Ionic Breeze is given a "poor" rating by Consumer Reports, who claims that the Ionic Breeze removed very few particles from the air in their tests.

At Air Purifiers America, editors also give the Ionic Breeze a rating of "poor," adding that the Breeze was "the worst performing unit we tested, in that it only removed 30% of the particles at the unit and 5% in the room." Editors add that the "electrostatic plates create harmful ozone." Electronic models like the Ionic Breeze produce ozone as a byproduct. In sufficient quantities, ozone can be toxic.

MrMon
12-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Just remember, CR is not the be all, end all of opinions. On some things, I trust them immensely, on others, they have an agenda. I will consider their opinion, but on occasion, I dismiss it.

If I recall, they don't know beans about sound systems, although they hated Bose years ago and I actually agreed with that. Their opinion on televisions always has struck me as a bit odd as well. And on washing machines, I had someone that sells them reliable inform me that salesmen just laugh at their recommneded buys, as one of the recommended machines is notoriuosly bad (Kenmore Calypso, I believe.)

astroglide
12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
i don't bother with stuff like televisions because sites like avsforum will have every model under the sun, and lots of expertise. i'm not aware of any hot "best washing machine" forums though.

when buying a vacuum i went for their recommended model. called somebody trying to find it and the guy was like "BECAUSE OF CONSUMER REPORTS I BET HUH? THAT THING IS CRAP I HATE IT." and proceeded to try to sell me on a commercial/restaurant vacuum (even though he actually carried the model i wanted). i bought it and it's worked great for years, for what one sample is worth.

it remains laudable that they have no vendor advertising and purchase all their items themselves as regular customers instead of getting cherry-picked models direct from vendors. they can't test every aspect of a unit, and i'm absolutely certain that they don't hit all major models/competitors when selecting products, but i still can't think of a better one-stop-shop resource for good information. and i don't think they're getting paid off.

Lloyd
12-13-2005, 10:36 PM
I developed a pretty bad indoor allergy a few months ago to the point where I had to go see an allergist. He said absolutely not to waste money on an ionic breeze - they simply don't work well and can be harmful (but with some of their recent "improvements" mainly just don't work well). If you want a purifier get one similar to what's linked to above (anything with a HEPA filter should be good).