PDA

View Full Version : Loose Balls

06-08-2002, 02:10 PM
Now that the NBA playoffs are almost over--read "over"--you might want to read about the history of that other league, The ABA. Terry Pluto's Loose Balls has always been one of my favorite books about sports. It's a long wait--about three quarters of the book--but the highlight of Pluto's history is the entrance of a guy I played a few pick-up games against back in Providence in the late 60's, Marvin Barnes, a player who possessed extraodinary talent and wit--a veritble Superfly--but let the demons rule his life for years. At one time, a few years ago, it was reported he was living in a cardboard box in L.A.

BTW, Marvin returned to Providence College a couple years after that report and finished his degree.

John

06-08-2002, 07:20 PM
marve...couldn't quite get it together...gl

06-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Ernie DiGregorio and Marvin Barnes what a duo, the Ernie D. and Marvin B. show (Kevin Stacom was on that Friars team too). Didn't know Marvin had so many problems off the court. I think he was a product of his times.

06-09-2002, 10:23 AM
hey john...ever play against bob lanier..no fibiing..gl

06-09-2002, 02:14 PM
No, scalf. Marvin was in the ninth grade, and a numbber of players from other neighborhoods used to come to the court for games. In ninth grade, Marvin wasn't quite anything special--guys five and six inches shorter pushed him around--by tenth grade nobody could stop him. Of course, at this time he hadn't picked up the Marvin "Tire-Iron" Barnes nickname either.

John

06-10-2002, 03:02 AM