PDA

View Full Version : VGA vx DVI Inputs on flatscreen monitors

MadMat
12-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Looking to buy myself a flatscreen monitor to replace my trusty old 17" crt !

a 2001FP is out of the question, Dell UK want over £500 for them, and I refuse to pay it, knowing what they cost over in the US

But the question is, How much difference in image quality is there between a monitor with VGA inputs, and one with DVI inputs. Looking at prices on UK sites, there having the DVI input seems to add around £50-£70 to the price of the monitors (I'm looking at 19" monitors on www.ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com))

Just wondering if it's worth paying the extra for a DVI port, if I'm likely to notice any real difference in image quality in day to day use

Main use of the monitor is poker and windows/office apps, not games

TIA

Mat

12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Dude, buy the 2001FP on ebay from a US seller...

12-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Buy the 2001FP from a US seller first.

As for your question, VGA adapters using a DVI monitor can cause serious degradation of quality when it comes to 20"+ monitors like the 2001FP. You get image corruption and blocks of garbage on the screens as a result. Make sure to use straight DVI only connections for LCDs that utilize high resolutions (1600x1200 and up, typically).

As for monitors that come with D-Sub/VGA only, that typically means the monitor is of lower quality regardless of the port itself. The resolution of the monitors may not go as high as you want as well.

Conclusion: Get a dual DVI graphics card (GeForce 6600 from what it looks like you could use) and a 2001FP from the United States (Newegg and Ebay, respectively).

MadMat
12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
All the 2001FPs on ebay right now are "refurbished" ones, and still more expensive than a new one in the US!

theres also the warrenty issues - I'm going to be without a monitor for a long time if anything goes wrong and I have to return it to the states!

Mat

Nomad84
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I'm looking at 19" monitors on www.ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com))

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want a 19" LCD. It won't do 1600x1200 resolution, so you'll have overlap.

MadMat
12-13-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want a 19" LCD. It won't do 1600x1200 resolution, so you'll have overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

is the 1600x1200 such a big issue with the new party software and resizeable tables coming out very soon?

PC gear seems very overpriced in the UK compared to US, cheapest brandname 20" monitor I can find is just over £300 compared to £170 for a 19" which would show 4-tables with no overlap with only minimal re-sizing of the tables

Mat

Evan
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much difference in image quality is there between a monitor with VGA inputs, and one with DVI inputs

[/ QUOTE ]
I have two 2001fp's next to each other with one on each. While they look different, I'd be hard pressed to identify one as better or worse. I think lots of people make much too big of a deal out of this.

12-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Is Costco international? They have a 20" 1600 x 1200 LCD.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10042639&whse=BC&topnav=&brows e=

MadMat
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have two 2001fp's next to each other with one on each. While they look different, I'd be hard pressed to identify one as better or worse. I think lots of people make much too big of a deal out of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, thats the info I was really after ;-)

I think I'll go for a cheapo 19" then, I can always add a second one later if I need more screenspace and still spend less than a 2001FP would cost over here!

Mat

Nomad84
12-13-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is the 1600x1200 such a big issue with the new party software and resizeable tables coming out very soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not if you only play Party. I play on a lot of different sites. Stars, Paradise, Cryptos, etc. will still need 1600x1200. Also, when I tried the Party beta, I dropped my resolution to 1280x1024 just to see what the difference was. When I had 4 tables open, it was still more difficult to read even though it took up the same amount of space on my monitor. If you only play Party and you don't have a problem with how it looks at that resolution, then it may not be worth the extra money.

Evan
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, thats the info I was really after ;-)

I think I'll go for a cheapo 19" then, I can always add a second one later if I need more screenspace and still spend less than a 2001FP would cost over here!

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know, I wasn't endorsing not getting a 1600x1200 monitor. If that fits your needs that's fine though.

mrkilla
12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
He might not be able to, or if he does it will need to be declared and he will wind up paying taxews on it, depending

Electronics are heavily regulated.

Like if you bring a PC to say Australia , you have to prmise its your's and not for resale etc. Has something to do with NAFTA if I remember