PDA

View Full Version : Best movie sequel

12-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Here it is. Place your vote for the best movie sequel. I appologize if I left any movies out that should have been included, but I believe I got the best ones in.

crovax4444
12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Out of the ones I've seen, Aliens, x-men and toy story wern't that great, T2 wasn't either. That left star wars or spider-man 2. Only reason why Empires didn't get my vote is because it needed RotJ to really give it that great sequal impact

Crovax

henrikrh
12-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Whoa, Temple of D00m got 3 people seconding it, and it ain't up there.

Edit: Voted for The Good, Bad n' Ugly, not a sequel, but the best movie there.

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of the ones I've seen, Aliens, x-men and toy story wern't that great, T2 wasn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aliens wasn't that great? You sure you're seen it? It was one the first big action sci-fi films, and it did the job exceptionally well. At the time it was hailed as an exception to the rule that sequels are bad. Many critics said it was better than the first film.

12-13-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dah... did 3 people second Temple of Doom? If so I appologize for not including it.

henrikrh
12-13-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dah... did 3 people second Temple of Doom? If so I appologize for not including it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cool, no biggie, don't think I'd have voted for it anyways /images/graemlins/smile.gif there are better movies on here. Aliens and SW:ESB

diebitter
12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Synor, this is sterling work, and I don't wish to appear critical - I admire anyone who bothers putting these together.

But with these all-in-one polls, I think it's better to let people have either 3/4/5 choices or even all you want (this worked okay with best Xmas film, but sucked for best james bond, hence my hesitation).

I know it's too late now cos you can't edit polls, but I thought it was worth saying.

Good work!

12-13-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Synor, this is sterling work, and I don't wish to appear critical - I admire anyone who bothers putting these together.

But with these all-in-one polls, I think it's better to let people have either 3/4/5 choices or even all you want (this worked okay with best Xmas film, but sucked for best james bond, hence my hesitation).

I know it's too late now cos you can't edit polls, but I thought it was worth saying.

Good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously considering allowing for 2 votes but deceided not to at the last minute. After more thinking I do regret it. I could start a new poll with that changed but I don't think it's worth it.

12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Wow... it's late. You can pick 2.

Edit:
Worse yet, I only voted once! Hence the odd number of votes. I made the damn poll and forgot that I could vote twice.

4_2_it
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Army of Darknes is the Evil Dead sequel that should have been included. One write-in vote.

PoBoy321
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
It's Ernest Saves Christmas. I don't see how this is up to debate.

bwana devil
12-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Superman 2
Harry Potter

edit: did you do your homework before doing this poll?

bwana

Slow Play Ray
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
it doesn't matter what other sequels you put on there. godfather 2 CAN'T LOSE this poll - if it does, it's rigged.

bwana devil
12-13-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. now i see you started a thread asking for people to nominate. ok i guess.

bwana

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Harry Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have been a concern but then you mentioned Harry Potter.

12-13-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't matter what other sequels you put on there. godfather 2 CAN'T LOSE this poll - if it does, it's rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

It better win.

bocablkr
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
What was The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly a sequel to?

LOTR - Two Towers
Godfather 2
Terminator 2
Aliens
Harry Potter 2
Star Wars 2
Toy Story 2
Shrek 2
Indiana Jones 2

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the last in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy. The first being A Fistful of Dollars and the second For a Few Dollars More.

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the last in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy. The first being A Fistful of Dollars and the second For a Few Dollars More.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not a sequel any more than For A Few Dollars More is. The characters are different. This seems somewhat akin to calling "Snatch" a sequel to "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."

swede123
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Batman Returns. Har Har.

Swede

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's not a sequel any more than For A Few Dollars More is. The characters are different. This seems somewhat akin to calling "Snatch" a sequel to "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."

[/ QUOTE ]

It was billed as a sequel at the time. It's sold as a trilogy of all three now. If you check the various Serigo Leone fan sites they all call it "The Fist Full of Dollars" trilogy.

12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Batman Returns. Har Har.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to be as fair as possible with the nominations thread. It's my first poll and I realize I should have kept the thread open for a bit longer before I made the poll. No one mentioned Harry Potter, I mentioned Lord of the Rings but didn't get a second, and no one mentioned Superman 2. But for future polls I'll be doing things differently and hopefully it'll work out better. Any complaints are welcomed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SL__72
12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Technically Temple of Doom and Last Crusade aren't sequals, are they? Don't the movies have to happen sequentially for them to be sequals? If they are sequals then so is every James Bond movie that came out after whatever was the first one.

namknils
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Back to the Future II

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Technically Temple of Doom and Last Crusade aren't sequals, are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Noun
sequel
1. A narrative that is written after another narrative set in the same universe, especially a narrative that is chronologically set after its predecessors.

They are sequels.

12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Technically Temple of Doom and Last Crusade aren't sequals, are they? Don't the movies have to happen sequentially for them to be sequals? If they are sequals then so is every James Bond movie that came out after whatever was the first one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say they are sequels. I could see the argument for calling the Bond films a series and not sequels, but whatever.

Oooooooh. Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn! Definately better than Star Trek 1.

bocablkr
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oooooooh. Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn! Definately better than Star Trek 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best of all of them.

diebitter
12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they are sequals then so is every James Bond movie that came out after whatever was the first one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are! Why don't people think they're all sequels except Dr No, the first one? I don't get it.

Oh, it's too late now, but I want to add Pink Panther Strikes Back.

Oh, and Star Trek 2 is an awesome sequel.

KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was billed as a sequel at the time. It's sold as a trilogy of all three now. If you check the various Serigo Leone fan sites they all call it "The Fist Full of Dollars" trilogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care how a studio chooses to market a package. I know Leone's three films with Eastwood are often referred to as "The Dollars Trilogy," because it's simple. I've seen all three films about a thousand times each. They are often looked upon as being part of a package because they share so much thematically and stylistically. They are not a continuation of the same story or characters from previous films.

se·quel (skwl) KEY

NOUN:

Something that follows; a continuation.
A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.
A result or consequence. See Synonyms at effect.

I'm not trying to nit-pick here; for example, someone else mentioned that prequels are not technically sequels, and while that's true, I would include prequels in a poll like this (tho not Temple of Doom, as that movie doesn't hold a candle to Raiders). I don't see any reason why James Bond movies since Dr No couldn't be included.

But I don't see how you can just throw in movies by the same director with the same stars that don't share any common characters (except for Eastwood's abstract character, and there is no reason to believe he's playing the same character in all the films.)

Not that it matters, as Godfather II should win this in a walk.

diebitter
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But I don't see how you can just throw in movies by the same director with the same stars that don't share any common characters (except for Eastwood's abstract character, and there is no reason to believe he's playing the same character in all the films.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I've already commented on this earlier in the thread. I believe the Clinet Eastwood character is the same character in all three films, as he wears the distinctive poncho in all three films.

But there's lots of arguments about this, and I'm aware that this is still argued over, so really it's not a matter of fact either way, but a matter of opinion.

MonkeeMan
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought of them as "the man with no name" trilogy.

bwana devil
12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Harry Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have been a concern but then you mentioned Harry Potter.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like the harry potter movies. ive seen the first two and was drug there by women. i wont go to any more of them but i can admit theyre great films.

some people judge movies on their own personal tastes and fail to see the whole picture.

bwana

evil_twin
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've already commented on this earlier in the thread. I believe the Clinet Eastwood character is the same character in all three films, as he wears the distinctive poncho in all three films.

[/ QUOTE ]

On IMDB, Clints character is called Joe in A FistFul of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, the Ugly. However, in For a Few Dollars more he's called Monco. How reliable this information is is unknown. It's hard not to think of him as the same character throughout the three films though.

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On IMDB, Clints character is called Joe in A FistFul of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, the Ugly. However, in For a Few Dollars more he's called Monco. How reliable this information is is unknown. It's hard not to think of him as the same character throughout the three films though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I've heard him referred to as "The Man With No Name" and the shorter "Blondie" but never as Joe or Monco.

I think it's apparent he isn't the same character, otherwise he would wonder why the Lee Van Cleef character in TGTB&TU looks the same as his partner from For A Few Dollars More. Also, he makes a ton of cash at the end of Few Dollars More from the bounties on Indio and his gang...what happened to that cash at the beginning of TGTB&TU? He's broke again, scamming a few grand at a time with Tuco.

diebitter
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I've heard him referred to as "The Man With No Name" and the shorter "Blondie" but never as Joe or Monco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the old bar guy calling him Joe in For A Fistful of Dollars, and also someone checking a hotel sign-in book and calling him 'Manco' in For A Few Dollars More.

But I don't care, I still say he's the same guy in all three - PONCHO! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SL__72
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Technically Temple of Doom and Last Crusade aren't sequals, are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Noun
sequel
1. A narrative that is written after another narrative set in the same universe, especially a narrative that is chronologically set after its predecessors.

They are sequels.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the Merriam-Webster dictionary it has the following entry for sequel:

1 : CONSEQUENCE, RESULT
2 a : subsequent development b : the next installment (as of a speech or story); especially : a literary or cinematic work continuing the course of a story begun in a preceding one

I'm pretty certain that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade don't qualify as sequels by that definition since the three stories are completely seperate from one another.

samjjones
12-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Technically, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, since TOD took place first chronologically.

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
The proper word for Temple of Doom is "prequel." Same with Exorcist: The Beginning, or Star Wars I. Like a sequel, but set previously in time to the first.

I think not including them in this particular poll is being kind of nit-picky.

Wes ManTooth
12-13-2005, 01:24 PM
"Bring It On Again"

bwana devil
12-13-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions are welcomed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i trust the internet before i open it up to OOT to nominate selections for the poll. i googled greatest movie sequel (http://www.bullz-eye.com/mguide/features/2005/best_sequels.htm) and found this page for example. build your list and go w/ that.

mrkilla
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Usually most People would call it that, they are sequels as per the director, they took place at the same time (back drop of the civil war) in the same place [Out West] and with the same main Charcter, the man with no name. Blondie was the Nick name used by Tuco only. He never says his name , so if someone called him Joe, or Ringo or Harry it didnt matter it was names given to him by someone else he never gave his name thus, the man with no name.

He is always the "good" or perceived as Good and wearing the same outfit

imported_The Vibesman
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Somebody is going to have to point to where Sergio Leone called these "sequels," or where he stated that Eastwood is playing the same character in all three, before I believe it. Not saying it's not true, I haven't read enough interviews with Leone. But it would surprise me. I think it's obvious from watching the movies that they are completely disconnected stories. That's all.

12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
It's close between T2 and Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo

jedi
12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The proper word for Temple of Doom is "prequel." Same with Exorcist: The Beginning, or Star Wars I. Like a sequel, but set previously in time to the first.

I think not including them in this particular poll is being kind of nit-picky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I inlcuded Star Wars I in the "Worst sequel ever" poll. ToD counts.

12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I find your lack of faith disturbing