PDA

View Full Version : Short Stack call w/ Garbage, Odds

eMarkM
07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Wed Night Stars $55 NL HE Tourney. After I put someone all-in with AKd and he hit a flush after calling with KQh, I was soon after the shortest stack in the tourney and looking for a spot to get in.

Hand #140 100/200 ante 25, T835, 9 handed
Not near enough the money yet. I have smallest stack with T835. Other stacks at table are all above 6K. I post 200 in the SB and 25 ante, leaving me with 610, and I get T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif.

I'm ready to fold this when UTG raises to 400, two MPs call, and the button calls. A rare multiway pot this far into the tournament. I have the crappy T7o, but the pot is 2325 so I'm getting nearly 12-1 on my call. Not likely going to get a multiway pot like this being this short. Easy call? Results later.

PlanoPoker
07-17-2003, 05:55 PM
I would lean towards seeing a flop here, because if you fold and are left with 3BB's, you know that it takes some serious cards to survive being the only short stack at a table. I'd gamble and see this as "putting myself in a position to win" as they say you've got to do.

You can call here and be left with 2BB's if the flop misses you. Its not enough to steal, but as a contingency plan you'll get one rotation to find another hand and put your money in.

fnurt
07-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Something isn't quite right because you are putting up 200 in the SB with the blinds at 100/200. The blinds can't be 200/400 cause the UTG raise was to 400...

We recently had this discussion where the hand in question was 72s if I recall. A big difference is that the odds here are SO favorable to you.

If you have the option to raise all-in and that raise will reopen the betting, that's extra EV because UTG may pop it again. I'm not sure if that's the situation.

eMarkM
07-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Sorry, I'm the BB, not the SB in this situation. Typo on my part.

eMarkM
07-18-2003, 10:46 AM
I made what I thought was an easy call. The flop came

5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I went all-in with my remaining 410 with middle pair. Flop raiser calls, next player goes all-in with +10K, flop raiser folds. HU and he shows AA. Turn comes 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif, river comes 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif and I river the trips and more than quadruple up to get back in contention.

I went on to finish as bubble boy, 19th, when I again was shortest stack and went in with JJ and met AQ, who rivered a Q. But that's another post.

fnurt
07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Someone slowplayed AA before the flop and got beat by T7? Serves them right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If an all-in raise by you would have reopened the betting I think I would have done that preflop to try and get someone to narrow the field for you. If it wouldn't, then no one is going to fold to your raise obviously, so I agree with your play of saving the leftover money for a flop bet which might get a random overcard or two to fold.

Copernicus
07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
I would get all my money in before the flop. It is very unlikely with that many in ahead of you that the hand is going to get checked down to the river. Since it is almost certainly going to have to go in this hand, get it in while all the callers are still there and increase your take if there are just calls and you get lucky.

Alternatively, since he is BB and the pre-flop raiser was UTG, an all-in here does keep the betting open for the AAs to narrow the field. If he does and gets the same folders, the $ may wind up the same as going all-in after the flop, but at least the ultimate folders didnt have a chance to see a flop and stick around.