PDA

View Full Version : another let's discuss on all streets ... turn especially

Maulik
12-13-2005, 03:37 AM
turn - while I elected to check call I think check/folding is standard or perhaps it should be.

The hands that I was ahead before were Ax-AJ, AT&AK are obviously ahead now.

The turn completes all the straight possbilities or betters any reasonable ace hand. This leaves me drawing to a straight or paying off a better hand more often than not?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($60.75)
SB ($76.70)
Hero ($46.75)
UTG ($22.19)
MP ($42.17)
CO ($67.68)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.50, UTG folds, MP calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP folds, CO calls $6.

Turn: ($18.75) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($38.75) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $58.75

EMcWilliams
12-13-2005, 03:46 AM
I honestly dont mind the way you played it here. You couldve lead the turn there, but c.c works too. Each play has its merits:

Check call: Good for pot control, many PFR will fire at the turn when checked to (in my experience at least), cant raised or forced out of the pot, passive, doesnt get info from villian, puts you in relative position

Lead turn: Helps to define villians hand, more aggresive play, allows you to escape the hand if raised, may take the pot down, build a bigger pot, still OOP.

Each play has its merits but in the situation where you are WA?WB, I think the pot control aspect of check calling is better, but I hate being in the dark on a hand. Leading is very close IMO, it just depends a lot on the villian and how hero feels in the hand.

scrapperdog
12-13-2005, 04:12 AM
I fold turn as played. You are not beating a decent ace anymore. A-10 has you beat, A-J has you beat, A-Q you split, A-K has you beat. What do you beat? Not to mention 10-J or KQ has you beat. If the only hand you can beat is top pair with a 9 kicker that is a sign to get out of pot if the other guy makes a claim to it. If he bets his hands and dont not get out of line much I fold this turn.

12-13-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold turn as played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura
12-13-2005, 11:40 AM
What do you do if he pots the turn? How about if he 1/2 pots turn, and bets big on the river? Tough hand to play OOP. I usually reraise preflop.

J Chap
12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Isura, you usually reraise preflop here.

Like what? $5? Gimme some sample lines if you reraise to 5 pf, get the call, and same board.

Thanks - I'm trying to learn to be more comfortable/assertive with good hands OOP.

JC

DoomSlice
12-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Check-calling doesn't control the pot well enough in this situation, for all you know he's going to come out firing huge bets at you on the turn and river.

I think you need to bet out 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

If merely called, on the river rinse and repeat.

Isura
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isura, you usually reraise preflop here.

Like what? $5? Gimme some sample lines if you reraise to 5 pf, get the call, and same board.

Thanks - I'm trying to learn to be more comfortable/assertive with good hands OOP.

JC

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't reraise all the time. I will do it if a combination of the below hold.

- I've been playing tight (relative to the table) and not too aggressive.
- Limpers are loose, but fold to large preflop bets
- The raiser is reasonable (not too aggro) and fairly aggressive preflop.
- No one is playing back at me, and they are folding to my cont. bets.

I normally make it around $6 preflop (pot-sized raise). Usually everyone folds and it's an easy profit. If I get called, I usually don't make a cont. bet with just overcards. Playing one pair gets a bit tricky, but I usually look to get to showdown cheaply by checking the flop. I dunno if that makes any sense.

J Chap
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
sure

Mercman572
12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
turn - while I elected to check call I think check/folding is standard or perhaps it should be.

The hands that I was ahead before were Ax-AJ, AT&amp;AK are obviously ahead now.

The turn completes all the straight possbilities or betters any reasonable ace hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you've got it figured out. But if you're gong to call turn thinking you're ahead you're calling that river. He also could have hit 89 as that's a hand I'd open raise in the CO

EDIT: whoops, didn't realize it was limped to him. 89 doesn't look like a possibility

unlucky513
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
with no reads, this looks standard

rachelwxm
12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
I like your lead flop and check on turn.
Now it's time to fold.

On the turn, you are either way ahead if he has KK QQ, or way behind to AK AJ AT AA JJ. A-rag is less likely given he raised pf. His bet sure does not look like a bluff with KK QQ, you have slim chance for split with AQ but it's too expensive to find out.

12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
The way played it seems like you have a weak ace. I dont like the c/c on the turn and then c/c on river. If you show weakness like checking after leading the turn, villian will almost always throw a bet out here. When you call on the turn I think c/cing here is not a bad play because there is no bet he wont call with a better hand and will fold with a worse hand (other than maybe AK).
Play isnt terrible although you considering ur OOP and in the dark the whole hand.

scrapperdog
12-13-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with no reads, this looks standard

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be standard when you cant beat anything? This is not standard. He either needs to lead this and give up if he is called/reraised or check fold. Check call is probably the worst option. KK or QQ does not make a value sized bet on the river here.