PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 BBJ checkup after 23K hands

BadBatsuMaru
12-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Just want to see what people think of my stats after a few months of 2/4 BBJ on Party.

I've been using the Ed Miller's tight starting conditions from SSHE, although I have added K5s+ from late position behind several limpers, and I'll play smaller pairs in early position if the table is loose/passive enough to make it correct.

I couldn't figure out how to cut/paste out of Poker Tracker, so I just turned my stats into a little 19K GIF:
http://home.woh.rr.com/brettland/brett's_2-4_stats.gif

Seems like these tables have gotten a lot tighter lately -- even with the JP up to almost $400K last night I was struggling to find tables over 30% VP$IP.

I generally try to be ridiculously selective of tables playing 2/4 BBJ to compensate for the rake. According to my summary stats, the rake at these tables is actually higher than my earn:

$1,981.97 / 22,983 hands / $4 BB * 100 = 2.16 BB/100 earn
$2,113.50 / 22,983 hands / $4 BB * 100 = 2.30 BB/100 rake

It surprised me that this figure is truly the BB/100 I am being charged. It's not the total rake for hands I saw the flop. It's not my "share" of the rake from all hands I was sitting in. It's the actual rake taken from me, counting only the pots that I won. I think it's unreasonable to assume I can overcome a 2.30 BB/100 rake unless the table is over 30% VP$IP.

Now that I think about it, I'm beginning to doubt that 2/4 is really a reasonable limit to play for someone who's trying to improve. Probably the correct way to play is to stay away from marginal situations and focus on getting paid off big with your draws. I've watched a pro friend of mine play a lot -- he props a couple sites and is always playing the highest limit available, a minimum of 30/60 and usually short-handed or heads-up. I just get the feeling from watching him that I'm not even playing poker. When I'm playing I'm simply looking at pot odds. I think I've learned about all I can at uber-fishy tables where it's just easy math.

I see people multi-tabling like goriaGambl -- a mega-rock who hemorrhages blind money at 2/4 BBJ with a VP$IP of 10% and a "folds to flop bet" of 70%. Over 12K hands, this guy is down about $1,000. It's hard for me to exploit players like this, though, because that means playing more aggressively and winning more/smaller pots, which doesn't beat the rake by much. Am I off-base here?

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any problems people saw with my stats. I'm assuming it looks a little weak-tight because of the games I'm in.