PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6 changing?

Ryan Z
12-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Admittedly, I am only a part-time player, but I've logged my fair share of hours online, even though I've only been on 2+2 for less than 6 months. I've been online for about 3 years, but that's not the point of this post.

I've only been playing sporadically for the last 2 months. In that time, however, I may have developed some rust. Even so, it feels as if Party's 3/6 game has become a lot more aggro. I feel like I'm seeing quite a bit more check-raising and slow playing of hands since I'v gotten back into the swing of things. I may consider a step back down to 2/4, just in the interest of making more money.

Like I said, I haven't been playing much due to my focus on school, but even so, it seems as if the game has shifted a bit. Is this some of the fallout from the Party/Affiliate split? I don't mean to say that the game has dried up by any means; rather that it has gotten tighter/more aggressive. Anyone?

popeye18
12-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Are you talking full or short? Ive been playing 3/6 6max for about 3 months and it hasnt seemed to change at all.

Ryan Z
12-13-2005, 02:42 AM
I was talking full. Should I delve into the world of short?

cnfuzzd
12-13-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

massochists and cutters

peace

john nickle

12-13-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently the 6 max games are making the full games dry up. 6 max is not for everyone. Higher variance, more skill, but can be extremely profitable. I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

imported_leader
12-13-2005, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently the 6 max games are making the full games dry up. 6 max is not for everyone. Higher variance, more skill, but can be extremely profitable. I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, it happens but if it's happening a lot you need to look at your game. I wouldn't start at 3/6 6m either. Do at least 5-10K at 1/2 6m to get you're feet wet and compare your stats to other players to make sure you don't have any oceans leaking out of your game.

12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the burgeoning popularity of 6-max has been one of the biggest changes in online poker over the past year, more so than any change in player skill.

ghostface
12-13-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the burgeoning popularity of 6-max has been one of the biggest changes in online poker over the past year, more so than any change in player skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it is the nits that wont change to 6m are stuck playing with each other in full. I mean look at 5/10, its almost all 6m and you cant really move up without learning it anyway.

stigmata
12-13-2005, 09:36 AM
"Only those who adapt to change survive" -- Charles Darwin.

Incidentally, there is a picture in the corridor of the hospital where I work with this phrase printed on it.

The picture is of a shark. Rather apt, IMHO*.

[*Apt in only a poker sense. From an evolutionary perspective it's actually rather pointless, seeing as sharks have barely evolved for aeons, but still seem to be doing OK. I guess they haven't had too much adapting to do. As poker players, we do right now. Gonna stop rambling now /images/graemlins/wink.gif]

WalkAmongUs
12-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I stumbled across a full 3/6 game at Prima the other day. It was full of tight calling stations and was actually a pretty good game. Who knows if this will ever happen again though...

Timer
12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

There's no way I'd lose that much in a 3-6 game whether it be 6-max, full or otherwise.

12-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Like the other posters, I think the short-handed 6 player games are where the money is to be secured; at least at 2/4 or 3/6 limits. I started playing online in 2000 and in retrospect I remember the full-table games at Paradise being substantially looser (I was still a loser at that time in my poker career). Also, I remember the full-table games at Pokerstars (.25/.5 through 3/6) averaging at least 1 big bet greater per game at many limits. On the very low levels (.25/.50) it was common to see the list filled with $4 dollar average pots and now they are a rarity.

I rarely play a full table (except NL) and instead focus exclusively on 6 handed games at Party and Pokerstars. They require a different set of skills and the section in HFAP (on short handed play) is very applicable. A cursory examination is not enough, however, IMHO. Creativity, aggression, profiling (and not a dry statistical analysis), and deception are all very important to a winning player. Also, the cards you play and in what position are radically altered from the 9 and 10 player games. I can't pretend to be an expert; just a winning low limit short-handed player (and I do not use any external aids like Pokertracker, PA HUD, Pokerstat, Poker Prophecy). I do use the built-in notes feature and take relatively detailed notes on the most salient traits of many opponents (and find this helpful).

I think the action-oriented players have left the full-table games and that's a huge factor in the destruction of the loose 9-10 handed game. Not much time expires between each hand and you don't have to wait all day for a playable hand, which explains why the 'crack addict' compulsive types make these games so lucrative.

Good luck,

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."

12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I'm thinking of making the jump to 3/6 6 max, but losing 600 in a session will be the norm.

There's no way I'd lose that much in a 3-6 game whether it be 6-max, full or otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only 100BB. If you play alot and NEVER go on a 100BB downswing, you should probably be playing 5/10 or 10/20

RED_RAIN
12-14-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it feels as if Party's 3/6 game has become a lot more aggro.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm seeing quite a bit more...slow playing of hands

[/ QUOTE ]

amusing

Victor
12-14-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, it happens but if it's happening a lot you need to look at your game. I wouldn't start at 3/6 6m either. Do at least 5-10K at 1/2 6m to get you're feet wet and compare your stats to other players to make sure you don't have any oceans leaking out of your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are competent at 2-4 and 3-6 full there is no reason you cant go straight to 3-6 short. hell, back in the day we had to go straight to 5-10 short *gasp* from what i read on here the 3-6 full game is tougher than it was back then and the 3-6 short game is easier than 5-10 so you should be more than ready.