PDA

View Full Version : Double Slow Play

Barry
07-17-2003, 02:56 PM
5/10 PP The table had turned somewhat tight and aggressive. There was almost always a PFR and a raise had a good chance to win the blinds.

I’m UTG with A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Why I very rarely try it, this looks like a perfect time to try for a limp reraise…, I limp, MP1 limps, MP2 (very loose, but got hit by the deck last night) limps, CO poster checks, BB checks. I can’t believe it, 5 players to the flop in an un-raised pot. In the last few days, I had so many preflop plans fail.

5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Might as well continue the ruse. Checked to MP2 who bets, BB (who seems like a decent player raises), if he’s going to get frisky, so am I and figuring MP2 would call anything here, I 3 bet. MP2 calls 2 cold, BB caps!!, We both call. Did BB flop a set or have Q5? If it’s a Q5, I’m going to remember why I hate to go for a limp/reraise

Turn is 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

BB bets, I call, MP2 folds.

River is Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

If I had a chance to be ahead before, it’s a much smaller chance now. BB bets, I make a crying call. BB shows K /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and my A’s are good for a 12BB pot. He types in “nh, lousy timing.” I’m also “berated” for being sneaky by another player.

What do you think of my post flop play? Who waits to the turn to pop it? Who would have raised the turn again, or the river? Who would have folded somewhere?

lil'
07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
I like you raising the flop. Raise the turn too, I say. They have no way of knowing you have A-A.

Next time, put the results in later. I like the suspense! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Joe Tall
07-17-2003, 03:11 PM
I've been waiting for AA-UTG to pull a 'Dynasty limp' preflop also, I haven't seen them UTG yet!

I would have played the flop the same, but I would have raised the turn, however, it is the BB that is showing aggression and with a Q-high-rag board he could have 2-pair and have you beat. Now that I think about it I may have laid off and called down just as you did. I'm not folding on this board.

I’m also “berated” for being sneaky by another player.

Tell me the hammered on the BB for checking his KK too...right??

Nice hand.

Dynasty
07-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Everything about your description of the game makes limping UTG with AA perfect- except for the Cutoff poster. With a poster already in, I probably would have raised and expected to get called in a couple places.

RockLobster
07-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Everything about your description of the game makes limping UTG with AA perfect- except for the Cutoff poster.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but what does the poster have to do with this decision?

Barry
07-17-2003, 03:23 PM
It's interesting that you say this.

It's been my experience that a poster makes a PF raise more likely. Either someone is looking to steal an extra blind or the poster himself/herself is likely to raise with a wide range of hands.

I'd like to understand your thinking here.

J.R.
07-17-2003, 03:41 PM
You want as many people for as many bets pre-flop with AA. The limp re-raise is key for tight aggresisve games where your raise may win you the blinds, but your limp may entice soemone to try to isolate you or you and a limper, allowing you to make it 3-bets.

But the presence of the poster makes it more likely that you will be called:

1) both by the blinds and the poster, who only have to call partial bets with a larger pot (than in the absence of the poster) and who are also aware that it is more likely that they will each complete and

2) by other players, who realize the greater liklihood of the blinds and poster calling.

Dynasty
07-17-2003, 03:55 PM
On the negative side of limping with AA with a poster, you're giving a third player a free or discounted look at the flop when the play fails.

On the postitive side of raising your AA, posters tend to call with lots of trash.

I wasn't saying anyting about how the poster would influence the likelihood of a raise from somebody else.

RockLobster
07-17-2003, 04:20 PM

RockLobster
07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
I wasn't saying anyting about how the poster would influence the likelihood of a raise from somebody else.

Got it, your reasoning makes a lot of sense... thanks...

bernie
07-17-2003, 08:11 PM
remember on that once you limp in, and the preflop isnt raised, it can be harder to put players on hands since they werent reacting to a preflop raise.

you have to ignore the fact that you have AA. since youre not playing it like AA. i would guess someone has a Q on the flop.

that's one of the downsides of limping and not getting the reraise. it's better with more knowledge of your opponents post flop play. otherwise, your playing a little with blinders on on the flop.

i wouldve raised the turn though....again, theyre not saying AA is no good, because they dont have any idea that AA is out there.

nice to see it held up though....

b