PDA

View Full Version : Limit tourney advice please

Whitey
07-17-2003, 01:57 PM
I recently started playing in some small entry(upto $20)limitHL tourneys (I normally only play PL or NL)with a reasonable degree of success(a couple of placings in the money,generally finishing just out of the money).
Also a couple of the $12 satelites to the WCOOP $500 comp where I have just finished outside the qualifying /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .

My general play is tight and aggressive,in the early stages I will open raise with AQ or better,or limp in with Ax or small to medium pairs to try to flop a big hand or muck.

Later on I will open-raise with suited face cards such as KQs upwards if I'm the first to open or if faced with a raise,reraise with AK/pair of 8s or better.
I will also be looking to steal the blinds with any 2 cards in late position.

What I am finding is if I get a caller when either stealing or opening with non pairs I will go on to represent strength on the flop and get called down,so if I miss my flop I'm having to slow down on the turn and muck if my opponent shows strength.

This is tending to erode my stack late on and leave me having to play weaker hands all-in,suck as Ax.

Should I be more patient when opening? Should I be giving up on my steals as soon as I'm called(this seems a weak play and leaves me open to any bet on the flop making me me muck regardless of what my opponent has)

Any help would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

sam h
07-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Whitey,

You really seem to be doing a crappy job of hitting the flop in the later stages. You'll never win any tournaments unless you plug this leak. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Really, though, I think your strategy is pretty sound. I wouldn't be stealing with any two cards though unless the blinds were supertight - people will take a look at the flop for only one more small bet so you want to have some showdown potential. Generally I like to have two cards of at least decent size. I'll take J9s over A2 any day in these situations.

As far as the rest of your strategy, I think in the early stages you just want to play good limit holdem. This means playing very tight from early position, not doing things like calling with 44 after one limper in middle position, and isolating limpers with big cards like AJ, KJs, etc when you're in back.

Once the blinds start growing, a lot of strategy just depends how big the stacks are compared to the blinds. You gotta have some gamble in you and try to push people around. It sounds like you're trying to do this, it's just not working out. As I said before, if you could just do something about that flop missing problem you'd be sitting pretty.

SirFoldsAlot
07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
I think you have a good approach, problem is its a common approach. Most people are very tight at the opening of a tourney and this is where you can be more aggressive with decent hands. Then tighten up and play your best hands aggressively. If you stole a few pots early your opponents might have pegged you as loose and therefore may be willing to continue calling your bets. As for the higher blinds thats a case by case basis for me. Thats my .02 for what it may be worth...

Nottom
07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Later on I will open-raise with suited face cards such as KQs upwards if I'm the first to open or if faced

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is after you've loosened up?

Whitey
07-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your replies,

I do have have a flaw in my game then,that flop hitting will have to be sorted out!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Also I was a little misleading when I said KQs when I loosen up,i sometimes play QTs if I'm on the button /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
Seriously I will raise with cards such as QT J9 if Im first to open,what is frustrating is when I raise it up with AK and get called by people with 56s miss my flop and get called down and lose to a pair of 6s,but theres that flaw again!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif