PDA

View Full Version : Opp. called-raise the flop. Could I've played differently?

DKNY
07-17-2003, 01:05 PM
3-6 on party.

I had K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in LP.

EP limped, MP called, I raised. BB, EP and MP called.

Flop Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB bets. EP called, MP raised. I 3-bet. BB called. EP CAPPED. (Alarms going off big time here). LP called, I called.

Turn was a blank, no diamond.

BB checked. EP bet. LP called, I called. BB folded.

River was black 9.

EP bet, LP raised. I folded. EP 3 bet. LP called.

How was my play on each street?

Results:

EP flopped the straight flush, he had J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

J.R.
07-17-2003, 01:20 PM
With a bet and a raise on a coordinated, monotone board with a draw to the third nuts, I might call, although three-betting would feel better. The aggression of my opponents will factor in the 3-bet analysis.

I wonder what I would do if a blank fell on the turn and it was checked to me after I 3-bet the flop? I might take a free card, as weak as that sounds, so maybe I would be better off not 3-betting. With a bet and a raise to me as the pfr on this board, I think I am likely behind, as weak tight as that sounds. I would play the other streets the same way as well.

Barry
07-17-2003, 04:49 PM
With an overpair and the 2nd nut (well normally 2nd nut) flush draw 3 betting the flop is a good move. However when EP caps, all of your alarm bells should go off. Call/reraises, or in this case call/caps in general means a big hand; a set at least. Given this board, a made flush (perhaps a baby one) is the most likely scenario.

You are right to continue to draw to your flush, even if you might be drawing dead, so check calling the turn is right, as is the river fold.

I would guess that LP (although you also referred to him as MP) had A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 's J something, and made his str8 on the river.