PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 K-4 suited late position steal raise

ineedmoneybad
07-17-2003, 12:48 PM
20-40 game I open with a steal raise in the cutoff with K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .
The game is tight but the bb seems loose agressive and plays too many hands and calls to much with weak hands.
All folded to bb who calls.
Flop is 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif giving me an overcard and a fush draw. BB checks I bet, he calls. Turn is the 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . He checks I bet again planning on bluffing the river also if I miss and he checks, but he check raises. I call river is the 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif he bets I fold.
Did I play this hand like an idiot?

andyfox
07-17-2003, 12:54 PM
As you characterized your open-raise as a steal raise, if the bb is aggressive and plays too many hands, and calls with too many of them, the odds of the "steal" working are consequently diminished.

Once he calls that flop, I'm finished with betting unless I improve. It's simply too coordinate a flop in the "playing range". This isn't the type of opponent I'd try bluffing heads up.

ineedmoneybad
07-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Not exactly a pure steal raise. More of a semi steal raise.

Louie Landale
07-17-2003, 01:25 PM
You need to figure to show down your hand against this kind of player. You should therefore tend to "steal" with hands that will make pairs tolerable to show-down, meaning middle cards. In this example (K4s) you probably won't be able to tolerate paying him off with just a pair of 4s, but you can probably pay off with a pair of 9s. So, Q9o may be a better stealing hand than K4s against THIS player.

Trying to run over the loose players is usually a mistake. You took two shots at the pot, generally give it up on the turn against THIS player. Other types of players deserve a turn bet.

- Louie

Dante
07-17-2003, 05:03 PM
The other posters make good points:

- don't steal against a loose BB (K4s is a steal, not semi-steal).
- you'll probably have to showdown or really bet him out of a pot. You'll usually need to hit your hand, maybe with A-high if he's loosey-loose.

In this particular instance I would check behind on the turn because:

- you don't leave yourself open to getting outplayed - if he leads into you on the river (and you don't hit), you can make a 1-bet decision, as opposed to calling/reraising him.

- if you hit the K or 4 on the river, you have something of a hand and can beat a bluff (which the turn check has a good chance of inducing), with a K you can raise unless you fear a ten/straight.

- if you hit the diamond, you can bet, OR if the diamond induces him to bluff, you can get the raise in.

Dante

bruce
07-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Why would you open raise with K4 against this type of player? Even though it's suited it's still a rag. When
I am up against this type of player in the blind I will not
open raise unless I have a hand. The likelyhood of him calling is way too high to justify this type of move. When
he calls the flop I am history unless I improve. Bluffing
is virtually impossible. This bozo might call you all the
way down with an Ace high.

Bruce

ineedmoneybad
07-17-2003, 06:44 PM
I thought about checking the turn but my thinking at the time was
I might have the best hand, if not a draw to the best hand.
Theres a chance he might fold a hand like a-3, or 4-4 which are hands he would probably call a flop bet with.
Checking the turn felt weak to me. If I check the turn and miss I give him a chance to steal the pot with nothing on the river, and create an image so players will call my raises and flop bets more often thinking they can take the pot away from me on later streets and putting me in situations where I have to make more tough decisions. I guess playing this hand in the first place was a mistake. Would anyone raise or limp with this hand here? How about betting the turn in this spot?

elysium
07-18-2003, 01:11 AM
hi inee
why would you SR against a loose blind. only SR when your image is solid and the blinds are weak tight. if this were a weak tight blind, your play post flop makes sense, but as it is, you should have graciously accepted the free card on the flop, check-fold the turn. if you had a draw to the nut flush, a turn call then becomes doable but razor thin.