PDA

View Full Version : Collisions at home plate when it "doesn't matter"

Clarkmeister
07-17-2003, 12:08 PM
On the Tony Kornheiser show today, Peter Gammons said he detested Pete Rose for running into Ray Fosse in the famous All-Star game incident.

The other week, I heard a radio host commenting that it was improper for a player (I don't remember the exact game) to run over the catcher in a regular season game when his team was up 10-1.

Last I checked, no one made these catchers try to stop the players from scoring. According to the logic critics of those trying to score, the catcher shouldn't try to stop them from scoring since it "doesn't matter", right?

I just find it a joke that some people would find it wrong to try and play to win. If the catchers don't think it matters, they can feel free to move out of the way of the plate, or the outfielder can just not bother throwing home. Until then, however, its disgusting that people would try and pile on someone who is trying to score when that is the object of the game and the other team thinks it "matters" enough to try and stop them.

BTW, is anyone else sick of the media fawning over this Willis kid from Florida. Peter was also ripping Dusty for not pitching him. I've had just about enough talk about this kid. He's a rookie, he's lucky he got named to the team, Dusty needed to keep someone in reserve in case it went extra innings. Its called paying your dues, anyone remember that concept in this day of instant gratification?

andyfox
07-17-2003, 12:15 PM
I've never understood blocking home plate anyway. Would other fielders be allowed to block the other bases in the way catchers do? And the catcher has all that equipment on. That equipment can do some damage, as Derek Jeter found out earlier this year. If they want to block the plate, I agree, the runner should take the same attitude as the catcher, whether the score is 2-1 or 10-1.

Glenn
07-17-2003, 12:18 PM
I agree with you regarding collisions at home. The catcher doesn't have to block the plate. He can try to make a slap tag if he doesn't want to get hurt. Pete Rose summed it up best when he said "I didn't realize they turned it into a 6th grade girls softball game in the middle".

I disagree about Willis. He is doing awesome and deserved to pitch. Lots of people wanted to see him pitch. I don't like Baker at all though so mabye that clouds my judgement.

Zeno
07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
All scoring matters, whether 10-1 or 1-1. In addition, there have been amazing comebacks in baseball games (remember the Mariners/Cleveland game a year or so ago) so I agree completely. Also kudos to Pete Rose for bashing into Ray Fosse, to bad Pete wasn't on the show to plow over Peter Gammons after he made such a stupid remark.

-Zeno

andyfox
07-17-2003, 01:15 PM
If I remember the play, Fosse didn't quite have the ball yet, so Rose could probably have taken a slightly less aggressive path to home plate. I believe he and Fosse had had dinner together the night before, with Fosse idolizing the famous Pete Rose.

People's judgments of the play are perhaps clouded by their personal dislike for Rose (and he's an easy guy to dislike) and the demise of Fosse's career as a result of the incident.

There are many things to take Pete Rose to task for; I don't think this is one of them.

Bill Murphy
07-17-2003, 09:01 PM
..when Gene Garber ended his 44 game hitting streak? "WAAAH, he pitched me like it was the 7th game of the WSOB, WAAAAH..."

Lost all respect for Pete personally after that, although he was a great player who should be in the HOF. He should remained barred from employment by MLB, but allowed to participate in all ceremonies, IMO.