PDA

View Full Version : I'm experimenting. Live 10/20.

Entity
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Reads: MP seems to have good preflop opening standards, but plays strangely at times. Once he 4-bet preflop with QQ (good the way this game was running), but the next hand he coldcalled an EP raise from a slightly loose raiser with the exact same hand. Postflop I think he's a bit more predictable.

Anyway. Folded to MP, who raises. CO posted a blind but he folds. I call in the BB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

The flop is Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, MP bets, and I call.

The turn is the 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet.

onegymrat
12-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Nice. Expect to take it right there.

Are you following with a bet should he call? I would.

12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
If MP plays "strangely" at times, then who is to say that he may not call you down if he has A7? Or 66-88? What if he has JJ and doesn't "feel" like you have the Q? What are your plans if he calls you on the turn? What if he re-raises you back (A9)?

Just how predicatble is MP?

Ummm...seems like you win 1.5 Big bets if things go well, lose 2.5 - 3.5 depending on if you take one or two stabs at this thing.

I guess the real question is just how dependable is our MP? A little more info could be helpful.

SippinSoma
12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Why? What's he calling with on the turn that he won't call on the river?

onegymrat
12-12-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... but plays strangely at times.

[/ QUOTE ]And because of this, pocket pair perhaps, AK, JT, plenty with which to play strangely.

toss
12-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I usually checkraise flop and lead turn if called or fold turn UI if 3-bet. Are you taking this line instead just to mix up your play?

poker1O1
12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually checkraise flop and lead turn if called or fold turn UI if 3-bet. Are you taking this line instead just to mix up your play?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this line a lot better, villians isn't folding to a flop raise and either way your betting the turn.

Entity
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This line tends to spend a bit more and I'm not sure that it increases folding equity at all.

Rob

Mig
12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Playing strangly like this often generate strange situation. If he is agressive enough he might raise his overs for free showdown and even raise stuff like JTo. If he is ABC a call on the turn will make you check/fold the river right?

istewart
12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Entity,

I'm curious if you're betting the turn here if the flop was Q85 and the turn was a 9. Seems like you wouldn't.

Entity
12-12-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing strangly like this often generate strange situation. If he is agressive enough he might raise his overs for free showdown and even raise stuff like JTo. If he is ABC a call on the turn will make you check/fold the river right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's only a slightly better than 0% chance he has a hand like JTo here.

Rob

KramerTM
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the line I usually take.

toss
12-13-2005, 04:55 AM
How do you usually play in this situation? If you think MP is raising lighter with CO posting? If so wouldn't it be best to 3-bet Preflop? And if he wasn't raising lighter can we really call profitably?

bambi
12-13-2005, 05:26 AM
i vote for the three bet preflop and go from there

einbert
12-13-2005, 08:28 AM
I think this is a fine line to take against passiveish players. But I wouldn't try it at 10/20 6max on party because you will get raised an insane amount of the time (which is why i often play flopped sets, etc this way).

spydog
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
It's funny you should bring up this line because I've been thinking about it quite a bit recently. Basically, any time the flop comes rainbow with 1 non-Ace broadway and 2 rags, I think this line is optimal when you are holding any 2 cards. I think it has the same fold equity as a flop CR and turn lead, but is cheaper. An added benefit to this line is the strangeness of it. I find that an opponent will often check behind on the river when he calls the turn, probably out of confusion. So, you often get to showdown cheap when you otherwise would have been bluffed out of the pot. And, they will often miss value bets on the end when you are beaten but want to showdown because you spike a pair on the end (not in the 22 example, but other hands like 98 where you spike an 8).

A lot of people will say that you are getting raised on the turn often when you donk, but I think those players that are raising your donk are also 3-betting your flop CR or waiting for the turn to raise. Plus, I doubt that it's a line that you would use against over-aggro players, especially those that are aggressive with medicore holdings on the turn.