PDA

View Full Version : Stars FPP store...

Nomad84
12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm just getting around to clearing some bonuses from the past few months, and I'm obviously accumulating a lot of FPP in the process. What books should I consider getting with them? I have enough for one book now (any) and will have enough for 2 within a few days.

Books available:

1000 Hold'em Poker (Gary Carson)
1500 Internet Poker (Lou Krieger)
1500 Championship Satellite Strategy (Tom McEvoy & Brad Daugherty)
1500 SSH (Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth)
1500 Poker Champion Moneymaker (Chris Moneymaker)
1600 Psychology of Poker (Alan Schoonmaker)
1600 One of a Kind (Nolan Dalla)
1600 GSIH (Ed Miller)
1800 Internet Texas Hold'em (Matthew Hilger)
1800 The Poker MBA (Greg Dinkins)
2000 HPFAP (Sklansky)
2000 TOP (Sklansky)
2000 WLLH (Lee Jones)
2000 TPFAP (Sklansky)
2000 The Making of a Poker Player (Matt Matros)
2300 Tournament Poker (Tom McEvoy)
2300 Championship NL & PL Hold Em (Tom McEvoy)

Out of those, the obvious choices seem to be SSH, TOP, and HPFAP, but I already have those. Not that it matters, but I also have WLLH.

Of the rest, what are the top few in your opinion? I'm a LHE player who just moved up to 5/10 if it matters. I'm thinking Psychology of Poker and One of a Kind to start with. Maybe TPFAP after that for something different. Maybe a stainless steel travel mug too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thoughts?

housenuts
12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
you may want to take a look at ITH. POP could be good too. One of a Kind won't help your poker game but might be an interesting read. (I ordered that a while ago but haven't got it yet)

Nomad84
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you may want to take a look at ITH. POP could be good too. One of a Kind won't help your poker game but might be an interesting read. (I ordered that a while ago but haven't got it yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I really figured that POP would probably be the most useful to me since I already have the major LHE-related books that they have. I've also heard a lot of people talk about One of a Kind and they seem to agree that it was worth reading. I figured that a non-strategy book would be good for a change. I think my former roommate has ITH, so I might just borrow it if it's worth reading. I hadn't really considered it. What can I expect to get out of it? Is it worth reading if I've already read WLLH, TOP, SSH, WtO (Yao), and HPFAP?

12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I would say "The Psychology of Poker." I don't know anything about McEvoys books, but I heard they suck.

Gallopin Gael
12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Do you care if they are autographed. If you do (or think it would be cool and a book you'd want anyway) then that may be a factor in which ones you choose

Nomad84
12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you care if they are autographed. If you do (or think it would be cool and a book you'd want anyway) then that may be a factor in which ones you choose

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know any of them were autographed. How can I find out which ones are and which aren't? It probably won't make too big of a difference since I'll eventually get any of them that are worthwhile anyway since I'm accumulating FPP somewhat quickly, but it might cause me to get certain books earlier than I otherwise might, or it might cause me to get them from Stars rather than somewhere else.

Gallopin Gael
12-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Look next to the title. (http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store.html)

It'll tell you.

I know PoP is signed for sure, as is Lee's book and McEvoy's books.

Nomad84
12-12-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look next to the title. (http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store.html)

It'll tell you.

I know PoP is signed for sure, as is Lee's book and McEvoy's books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I was looking at the list from the PokerStars client, not the website.

housenuts
12-12-2005, 10:13 PM
i think all the books are signed.

i got Matros' book and HPFAP from there and both of them are signed even though there is no indication of that on the site.

4_2_it
12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Dr Al signed my POP book. I highly recommend it. It will help connect some of the dots from TOP and other strategy texts.

asdtexas
12-13-2005, 01:41 AM
I have all the strategy books and concur that ITH and POP are the best of the ones you do not have.

By the way, I sent a message to them and they responded back and said that other titles are coming out soon.

12-13-2005, 01:51 AM
I want to get my copy of PoP signed.

Gallopin Gael
12-13-2005, 02:42 AM
I do too.

Nomad84
12-13-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have all the strategy books and concur that ITH and POP are the best of the ones you do not have.

By the way, I sent a message to them and they responded back and said that other titles are coming out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestions. Also, thanks a lot for the tip on new titles. I'm anxious to see what they add. At around 200/hr or so, these FPPs are adding up fairly quickly...

Ryan11
12-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Hilger sings the ITH book

TexBigSlick
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hilger sings the ITH book

[/ QUOTE ]

....to the tune of "I've been workin' on the railroad"

12-14-2005, 01:49 AM
I posted the exact original post as you did asking the exact same question and owning the exact same books from the collection. One of the repliers gave me this link which I thought was neat http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/index-poker.html
Yah I think I'm getting PoP and Internet hold em(matt)
if you stick around on PS for a while I think the chipset is pretty cool although its expensive. ALso get their playing cards I have em and they're great
I also heard very good things about the stress stars /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nomad84
12-14-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted the exact original post as you did asking the exact same question and owning the exact same books from the collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search sucks. I tried the 2+2 search and did a google search and didn't find it either way. Thanks for the link.