PDA

View Full Version : KK and a short stack on my right.

BigEndian
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
This was one of those hands that some players may look at and think I played it poorly and was too greedy. When I smooth called in EP, I wanted more value for my KK than what I was going to get if I 3-bet PF.

Online 10-20.
The table was pretty tight with the exception of two seats. One of the loose seats was the short stack to my right with $47 left.

I’m in MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif.

UTG folds, the short stack raises. I smooth call. Folded to the CO who calls. The BB calls.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks. Short stack bets. I raise. CO folds. BB cold calls, SS raises all-in, I re-raise. BB calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB checks, I check.

River: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Action is not important.

- Jim

tiltaholic
12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
personally i'd 3-bet pf to just play for short stack's stack.

why no turn bet?

BigEndian
12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I should have put my read on the BB. Imo BB was a solid player and has either a 9, the flush draw or the straight draw. Normally I would have been betting this turn and then reacting to any raises. But the force was with me.

- Jim

Fianchetto
12-12-2005, 05:50 PM
I still think you should raise.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the loose seats was the short stack to my right with $47 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the more reason to raise, they may think you are just isolating him and not give you credit for a big hand. If someone else does come in, you may get the short stack to do a 'desperation cap' trying to get full value for his last few dollars.

Even if you get HU with the shortstack, the expected value for kings is probably about 2BB, so if you can get his $47 + the blinds that is fine.

Otherwise you let the pocket pairs and suited hands try to outflop you cheaply when they may have paid another bet.

toss
12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Imo BB was a solid player and has either a 9, the flush draw or the straight draw.
- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Flush draw, straight draw, or a nine. Tell me why you aren't betting the turn again? He's going to have draws more often than a nine.