PDA

View Full Version : the rating girls posts are getting really ridiculous guys

citanul
12-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Here's a post: page (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4173121&an=0&page=0&gone w=1#UNREAD)

All this thread is is "here's a bunch of pictures of naked models. rate them on a scale."

There's not a shortage of such posts right now.

These aren't girls that someone's dating, or girls that are in the news, or whatever, it's just "here's some pictures of naked women because i'm a 20 year old college student and isn't that cool?" (with 20 being an upper bound here.)

I think this is really beyond the acceptable. I think that the "I asked a question so now I need to include a picture of a hot nude/seminude girl" "rule" that many of the posters in OOT seem to still be rolling with is similarly totally unacceptable.

It's not my forum and it's not my domain, but I think that this needs to be thought over far more than FF3 avatars taht look like green twisted swasticas in the mirror.

citanul

astroglide
12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
what about it is unacceptable?

MrWookie47
12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Hot chick threads have been in OOT for as long as I've been reading it. I agree that polls asking for ratings are stupid, but that's primarily because polls are stupid until proven otherwise. Are you getting up in arms over the ratings, or over the posting of pictures?

stabn
12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
It sounds like OOT is not the place for you.

Mike Haven
12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
To complain about a post marked "NSFW", which includes links rather than photos, on an adults-only site, in a forum noted for its ribald posts, seems incredible to me.

There are worse photos, (or better, depending on your perspective), in the UK's daily national newspapers.

With the prominent warning, the content of the post, and your seemingly prudish view on such matters, it surprises me greatly that you opened the links to see what you should be protecting others' eyes from seeing.

B Dids
12-12-2005, 06:23 PM
The only issue I take is that posting pictures of hot women, which aren't hard to locate on the internet, seems to be a way to earn a pass to not be an idiot in OOT, which I'm not sure I can support.

[censored]
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
vetoed

citanul
12-12-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
vetoed

[/ QUOTE ]

ah well, my attempt at a point while having humor wasn't received very well i guess.

dids hits on the main thrust of what i actually believe, which is htat if you're going to be all hard nosed about banning morons, starting by banning people who add nothing beyond 5 googled hot women is a good way to go.

w.r.t. the hot women and avatars, i couldn't possibly care less personally, but if the admins want to keep this place woman friendly it seems like a duh move.

c

Jim Kuhn
12-13-2005, 12:48 AM
2+2 is in business to sell books and advertising. Poker is very popular with the 18-30 year old men that appreciate the girl pictures. Sex sells! Why chase them off when that is a very large target market.

As for women being offended - there are about thirty other forums they can frequent. One trip into oot and they can avoid that forum or frequent if they like. They will know what they are getting into if they go back.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Mat Sklansky
12-13-2005, 02:34 AM
I have determined that there is no way to keep oot entirely friendly to women. Young men hate women. I think this is very close to being factual statement. What I would love to see, however, is a "woman's forum" Do you guys think we have enough females on this site to pull it off? Men could participate, but the whole thing would be moderated by females who could discriminate against males at their own whim. As far as I know we only have 5 females regularly participating: felicia, mrs. npa, mslif, katey seagull, and gorey.

durron597
12-13-2005, 02:43 AM
You forgot peachy... SeaSiren is active in the 2+2 forum games but doesn't post much... what happened to AsiaKurasowa? fslexduck is female, I think... [/end stream of consciousness]

Mat Sklansky
12-13-2005, 02:46 AM
The more i forgot, the better it is. What i'm asking/ proposing is a twoplustwo forum for females. Do we have enough?

astroglide
12-13-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Young men hate women. I think this is very close to being factual statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. not enough traffic though.

MrWookie47
12-13-2005, 02:50 AM
VoraciousReader is female, and she's already a mod.

MrWookie47
12-13-2005, 03:08 AM
I think this idea has a lot of potential, but I think it would be hard to do right without the ability to ban people from specific forums. I suspect it might get a lot of stupid/hateful/misc. bad traffic from people we don't mind having around in the other forums. Eh, I guess an exile system like OOT might work (stay out or get banned from everywhere), but I'm not sure. And I suppose if someone trolls that forum, that's probably indicative of stupid behavior in the others. I dunno. What do other people think?

Mat Sklansky
12-13-2005, 03:41 AM
i want felicia's opinion

Sniper
12-13-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I would love to see, however, is a "woman's forum"

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you are considering renaming OOT... "The Men's Room" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FeliciaLee
12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I would love to see, however, is a "woman's forum"

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't do this, Mat. I rarely fit in to any culture or even subculture these days. 2+2 is the one place where I've pretty much been accepted all along. Sure, I have some young 18-24 year olds here who want to come to Vegas and party, and don't want a 37 year old coming along to mess up their date with a hooker, but for the most part, I fit in.

Where I don't fit in is with women. Not even 2+2 women. I just don't get them. It's like I'm Pat, no one knows if it's a man or a woman, lol /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't change what works. I'll even participate in OOT more often, like I used to. Believe it or not, I've never had a problem there. The guys don't turn me off. Some of the girls do, but the guys I can understand, at least.

FeliciaLee
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Exactly.

I have hung out in OOT off and on because I know I can take it. I wouldn't recommend this to most women. One girl who frequents OOT (or at least, she used to, I'm not sure if she still does), couldn't take it, and was always pretty defensive about her looks, shape, opinion, etc.

I don't usually get offended. If all else fails, I can resort to my old stand-by, "Blow me!" That usually silences a room or two, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 is in business to sell books and advertising. Poker is very popular with the 18-30 year old men that appreciate the girl pictures. Sex sells! Why chase them off when that is a very large target market.

As for women being offended - there are about thirty other forums they can frequent. One trip into oot and they can avoid that forum or frequent if they like. They will know what they are getting into if they go back.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FeliciaLee
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
I think Asia got banned. I hears she was spamming, she claimed she was just saying that Games Grid (or something like that) had some great, juicy games. I'm not sure about the whole story, but at any rate, I guess she decided not to come back, or challenge the ban.

Greg J
12-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Part of the problem is that women don't play as much poker as men. But I would think that 2p2 still tends to over represent men even within this already skewed community, which is kind of a shame. I'm not sure what to do about that, but I think a women's forum might make a few female lurkers feel more comfortable. But Felicia disagrees, and her opinion is probably more valid than mine. Such a forum would be an open inviation for trolling though, and would be bombarded by "why do chicks...?" posts. Furthermore, the necessary strict moderation of this forum would lead to bannings of otherwise decent posters, and accusations of "feminazism" by the mods there.

In all, I'm not sure if a women's forum is a good idea or not. It would probably lead to some contention.

Evan
12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
feminazism

[/ QUOTE ]
It took me a minute to realize what that said. What a [censored] great word!

Greg J
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
feminazism

[/ QUOTE ]
It took me a minute to realize what that said. What a [censored] great word!

[/ QUOTE ]
You a Rush Limbaugh fan? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[censored]
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The more i forgot, the better it is. What i'm asking/ proposing is a twoplustwo forum for females. Do we have enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if it could have some "build it and they will come" function. Also I think the moderating part wouldn't be as hard as people are making it out to be. It's simple if you get exiled from the girls forum for being a [censored] head and you procede to post again in it, you get banned from 2+2. easy enough.

Can't see how you'll avoid the gimmick accounts though

PoBoy321
12-14-2005, 05:31 AM
I think that making this forum more woman friendly would likely decrease traffic. A lot of guys come here, and especially to OOT because it's such a guy-friendly environment where they're not going to worry about gettig shouted down for a mildly sexist comment.

Also, just look at the Shana Hiatt Playboy Photos thread in WPT. With nearly 2,000,000 views, how much traffic do you think that that alone has brought to this site?

[censored]
12-14-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that making this forum more woman friendly would likely decrease traffic. A lot of guys come here, and especially to OOT because it's such a guy-friendly environment where they're not going to worry about gettig shouted down for a mildly sexist comment.

Also, just look at the Shana Hiatt Playboy Photos thread in WPT. With nearly 2,000,000 views, how much traffic do you think that that alone has brought to this site?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt people have come to 2+2 to check out pics they can easily search for and find.

I don't disagree with your overall point though

BottlesOf
12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have determined that there is no way to keep oot entirely friendly to women. Young men hate women. I think this is very close to being factual statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even closer to being an awesome statement.

B Dids
12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Just to be clear.

If that thread wasn't so long, I would have deleted it.

If somebody starts a new thread like that, I will delete it.

astroglide
12-14-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was that one in the wpt forum?

stabn
12-14-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was that one in the wpt forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Also lets say someone posts one for the new WPT girl. You won't be deleting that [censored] dids.

B Dids
12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I won't?

I'm pretty sure I just said I would.

I don't think those types of threads have any merit in WPT. If you want to oggle chicks (and lord knows I do) I think OOT is fine, but I think the standards in terms of what's considered "NSFW" should be a lot higher in the other forums.

If we all agree that I'm wrong, I'll reconsider, and obviously if Dynasty thinks otherwise I wouldn't. However, I just don't see how 2p2 benefits from a thread like that.

(and yes, as a mod I'm a total meta-nit).

stabn
12-14-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I won't?

I'm pretty sure I just said I would.

I don't think those types of threads have any merit in WPT. If you want to oggle chicks (and lord knows I do) I think OOT is fine, but I think the standards in terms of what's considered "NSFW" should be a lot higher in the other forums.

If we all agree that I'm wrong, I'll reconsider, and obviously if Dynasty thinks otherwise I wouldn't. However, I just don't see how 2p2 benefits from a thread like that.

(and yes, as a mod I'm a total meta-nit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the hits on the WPT thread it's pretty obvious it does in fact benefit 2+2. I think you are ignoring this because you have a complex about defending women. And yes, if you are doing your job properly you wouldn't delete such a thread. FWIW, if it isn't acceptable in OOT because it's poker content WPT is the right place for it. However, if you just can't stand to have it in your wittle forum moving it to OOT is a much better idea than deleting it.

B Dids
12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Dude,

The vast majority people in WPT (and especially in a thread like that) have no idea how to play poker, they're not exactly buying the books. (yes, the generate hits which lead to add revenue, blah blah blah). I don't think that the "omg hot chix" demographic is key to the 2p2 empire.

I would hope that the discussion in this forum is above projecting goofy complexes onto people. Worry less about people's motives and just address their arguments.

Dynasty
12-15-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Use your head. It doesn't really have 2 million views.

That thread went from 30,000 to 2,000,000 in a day. A handful of posters found a way to jack up the #'s. I'm not sure of the tecniqure. But, I'm guessing it wasn't just a matter of hitting the refresh button. That happened quite a while ago (at least six months).

stabn
12-15-2005, 11:09 PM
1 30k views is nothing to sneeze at, 2, it has a ton of replies and has always been very popular.