PDA

View Full Version : Just a hand

pufferfish
07-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Online $2/$4, 9 handed, typical bi-polar table.

I’m two off the Button with 9h 7h.

It’s folded to a loose MP who calls, I call, CO poster checks, Button calls and BB checks.

Five see the flop for 1 bet (5.5 SB).

FLOP: [ 5h 4d 2h ]

BB checks, MP bets and I call. CO raises, Button calls, BB folds, MP and I call.

TURN: [ 5h 4d 2h ] [ 9s ]

Checked to CO who bets, Button folds, MP folds and I call.

RIVER: [ 5h 4d 2h 9s ] [ 3h ]

I check looking for a check-raise but the CO checked it through.

Like I said, it’s just a hand. But sometimes you can learn a lot from everyday hands.

Any comments would be appreciated.

pf

lil'
07-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Bet the turn. Just a thought.

JTG51
07-16-2003, 11:31 PM
I'd bet the river the vast majority of the time. Against an aggressive opponent who I know makes a lot of value bets I'd be more likely to look for the check raise, most low limit players are just way too passive for that though.

Everyone sees the flush on board, many players won't bet anything but a flush when a third flush card hits but they'll always call your bet. I'd guess that the extra bet you occasionally make with a check raise doesn't even come close to covering the bets you miss when a passive opponent checks behind you.

baseball38
07-16-2003, 11:37 PM
This is just the way I play but I would have raised on the turn with top pair (I know the kicker sucks) and a flush draw. You might have bought it right there. I think the original bettor was possibly trying to steal it with all the rags out there (putting him on big cards). Hopefully some of the seasoned 2+2 er's can comment on my thinking on this as well.

baseball38 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

JTG51
07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
I was going to suggest a turn check raise also, I decided to just focus on the river play though.

pufferfish
07-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Bet the turn. Just a thought.

I thought about that but this guy was an unknown to me. I didn’t know which way he swung, lol.

Thank you for replying,
pf

Your Mom
07-16-2003, 11:52 PM
I think I would get as much $$ as possible in on the turn with probably the best hand and probably the best draw. Check raise it.

pufferfish
07-17-2003, 12:15 AM
It’s just about bed time for me. Thank you all for your comments; they are definitely food for thought.

The thing is, I didn’t know this player. He sits down and comes out hitting. I have done that with nice hands, but what would he do? I don’t know. I chose the “yellow” path, lol.

Well, he had 52o, for top and bottom pair on the flop. I had him on the straight and was too brain dead to think that the final board (must have straight or flush) wouldn’t scare him out of a river bet.

Just a hand, but if you’re not thinking, you miss those valuable value bets.

Thanks again,
pf

asdf1234
07-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Checkraising or betting the turn seems like a good idea, the only thing that's beating you at this point is an overpair. Unless it's Party, then you're probably behind 42o or something like that. Even if you are behind, you conceivably have something like 14 outs.

You've got to bet the river. It's a four straight and three flush out there and nobody's going to bet it without at least a straight and even then they might check it down if they've only got the ace.

You're right, it's good to look at everyday common hands like these, because that's what affects the bottom line at the end of the year. Now you'll know why it's $4 short. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

SoBeDude
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Everyone sees the flush on board, many players won't bet anything but a flush when a third flush card hits but they'll always call your bet. I'd guess that the extra bet you occasionally make with a check raise doesn't even come close to covering the bets you miss when a passive opponent checks behind you.

Very good point. Most low limit players won't bet the river into a flush, unless they have a big hand like a set or a straight. they sure won't bet top pair, but they'll often call with it.

Excellent insight.

-Scott

MaqEvil
07-17-2003, 10:52 PM
I'd fold preflop, call the flop, check-raise the turn and bet the river.

SittingBull
07-17-2003, 11:01 PM
possible ways to win--u MIGHT already have the BEST hand or U can connect with the BEST hand on the river. NOT betting the river in this spot USUALLY cost U money.
A thinking player would put someone on a flush draw on the flop.
Happypokering,
SittingBull

rkiray
07-18-2003, 01:21 AM
I've got to say that I don't like the way you played this hand at all. By far the biggest mistake is not folding before the flop. This is a drawing hand, and one limper is not nearly enough. Unless there were at least three limpers, I would not even think about playing this hand.

I also would not try for a check raise on the river. Here I would only check and call. I would be very concerned that CO had a bigger flush (although this would depend on how he played, if he bets and raises with draws I would be worried, if he is passive, then I would bet the river).

elysium
07-18-2003, 01:37 AM
hi puff
yea, you need to bet the river here.

pufferfish
07-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I've got to say that I don't like the way you played this hand at all. By far the biggest mistake is not folding before the flop. This is a drawing hand, and one limper is not nearly enough. Unless there were at least three limpers, I would not even think about playing this hand.

I’ll admit it was a crap shoot. The table had primarily been running loose/passive and I did pick up two more limpers along with the BB.

I also would not try for a check raise on the river. Here I would only check and call. I would be very concerned that CO had a bigger flush (although this would depend on how he played, if he bets and raises with draws I would be worried, if he is passive, then I would bet the river).

I didn’t know the CO and when he raised the flop I figured him for a straight. That was very limited thinking on my part and if I’d thought more about it I would have realized that he was possibly trying to protect a vulnerable hand, which was the case.

For some reason I wasn’t really concerned about him having a bigger flush. Since I still figured him for a straight I thought he would continue to bet it on the river. Not thinking more about his possible holdings is, I think, one of my bigger mistakes in this hand.

TC,
pf