PDA

View Full Version : $10+1, was this a donk call?

12-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't know how to get my hands off this site (Fishtank), so I am going to wing it... I am new to the SnG scene, but have been doing fairly well. Early in the tournament Level II 30/60, players start with 2,000. I have 1940, villian has 2,200 or so. No real reads yet, but villian has played nearly everyhand so far with some pretty marginal cards...

I am under the gun and dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif, raise four bets to t300, MP calls, MP+1 (or 2) calls, button (villian) calls, blinds fold.

Pot is 1290; flop A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet 720 (I figure TPTK plus backdoor flush, but I do not want to give a bona fide flush draw an easy call), two MP's fold, villian all-in. Should I have called this?

Results:

<font color="white"> Villian shows 3s 3h , wins the pot and I finish 9 out of 9 </font>

tigerite
12-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes, you should call. No, it's not a donk call at all. But I don't like how you raised so much pre and the flop bet seems a bit overkill. Just unlucky to run into a set who should've folded pf really

pooh74
12-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, this isnt a bad call on your part...especially against a guy who is playing every hand. He made a bad play. He's flopping a set 1 of 8 times and calling 1/7 of his stack PF to do so with no guarantee of getting paid. (IOW, even if he can ensure that he stacks you 100% of the time with his flopped set, he is still not getting the implied odds to call)

On a more irrelevant note, raise to ~200 PF and bet 2/3 on the flop. Not that you would still be looking to get away on this flop, just better generally.

12-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I agree that he didn't have odds preflop, but I feel like I set myself up here. I feel like flop bet announced my hand, and then would only be called/raised by someone who had TP beat. Am I giving the competition to much credit?

tewall
12-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes, you're giving them too much credit. There was a flush draw. Many players will go all in with the flush draw. Also many will go in with just an Ace where you have their kicker beat.

I agree with pooh74's comments about PF and flop bet sizes.