PDA

View Full Version : UB multitable, how do I stop aggression?

bugstud
07-16-2003, 10:16 PM
So I am playing a certified moron (was calling allins on the final table with K9s preflop and QQ on a ATx flop) and had me outchipped 150 to 40, then I double with A4s against 97o (yes, allin preflop). I make a flush, and then knock him down to 15k out of the 190k in play. He proceeds to go allin every hand. Blinds were I believe 2k/4k. In any case my best hand out of the next 10 is 98s (in high card value as well). So he either raises min preflop then pot or allin on the flop regardless, or allin preflop. When do I make a stand? K high, Q high? By this time the stacks were roughly even again.

cferejohn
07-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Any pair better than 7's. Any ace with a kicker of 6 or better. Any 2 broadway cards. any suited connectors 89 or better. That's if he's really going all-in every single hand. Also assumes no one else is coming along.

I don't really like Kx or Qx as a hand to make a stand with (maybe if the x is an 8 or 9). If you go www.twodimes.net (http://www.twodimes.net), you'll find that suited connectors do much better against hands like Ax than Kx or Qx do. You should make the stand asap when you realize what he is doing. The bigger his stack gets, the worse it will be for you if he gets lucky.

PlanoPoker
07-17-2003, 06:13 PM
If I understand you correctly, you are heads up now, because you said at first that he outchipped you 150 to 40, and there was 190k in play. Anyway, if you are now even in chips with 85k each, I wouldn't go in with Kx when the blinds are only 2k/4k. If he is truly doing it every hand I would start by only entering with a decent Ace and any pair 88 or up. The more he does it though, the more necessary it becomes to make a stand, and the more certain you are that he is going in on every hand and not just getting a run of decent paint cards. After he does it 5+ times in a row I'm ready to go in with any A or any PP.

Rememeber that you're only going to get one shot so you don't want to go in for all your chips with nothing. I would happily let my 85k go down to 65k so that I can wait for 88 or AQo before making a stand. If things go well you would then have 130 to his 60.

bugstud
07-18-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, that's about where I thought the line was. Eventually I went in on him with Jts against AQo preflop and he won soon thereafter.

nicky g
07-18-2003, 06:14 AM
When he's down to 15k, if you know he's doing this with any random hand, and/or that he's going to do it every single hand, I'd call without looking at my cards the first time. The problem is that if you wait until you have a decent hand to call him with, you may be waiting a long time, and you don't want him to catch up again.
Even if I didn't know this, I'd be tempted to call- you've put in the BB of 4k, he's put in the SB of 2K, leaving him 13K (right?), he now calls and raises all-in for another 11 (or 13, if he's got 15k after posting, I'm not sure which it is), meaning you have to call 11 to win 19, which isn't terrible. You might well decide to call with anything to try to knock him out now.

Ignatius
07-18-2003, 06:44 AM
> He proceeds to go allin every hand.
Then you're playing to passively. It should be you who's dealing out the hard decisions on him, esp. as long as you had him outchipped. Asking where to make a stand is defensive thinking. As long as he is the aggressor, there's really not much you can do besides waiting for a decent hand (any pair, medium aces, two facecards) or some piece of the flop. OTOH, you should often raise yourself with hands like A4, Q9 or 86s or with draws like gutshots or overcards on the flop, which you would have to muck otherwise.

bugstud
07-18-2003, 08:09 PM
The first 3 hands after he is at 15k, I was dealt consecutively: 32o, 62o, 74o. I really didn't want to call the allin where I am probably not getting the odds to do it. After he got back to 30-40k then he started going allin on flops. The blinds were the main enemy here, the thread is a more along the lines of "why can I not get a face card with blinds being 5% of my stack" type of post. Still, thanks for the suggestions.

Fraubump
07-20-2003, 04:35 PM
When he is down to 15k, you have 175K. Put him all-in preflop without looking at your cards (or maybe pretend to look at them). 27o wins about 1 in 8 times against AA and even Ax wins about 7% against AA. Two undercards to 2 overcards wins about 35%. Your avergae random hand against another random hand wins 50% of course. I would put him all-in 2 hands in a row, maybe even 3 before even bothering to look at my cards. You have a chance to win right there and if he keeps folding his stack just dwindles.